Happy Soup Eater, Happy Gillis Cafe & Hangout

People say they enjoy Kansas City. Find out why.
ignatius
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Re: Happy Soup Eater, Happy Gillis Cafe & Hangout

Post by ignatius »

Tried to go for lunch today, forgot they are closed on Monday's.  :(
KCMax
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by KCMax »

KCLofts wrote: Business at Happy Gillis seems to be picking up.  There is typically a wait for tables on the weekends nowadays.

As great and charming as the current location is, it is really tiny.  Every time I walk by the vacant spot at the City Market entrance where the Asian market used to be, I think it would be perfect for Happy Gillis.
Not to hijack this thread, but what is taking the place of that Asian market? I thought I read something about it here. When is it opening, if ever?
SAVE THE PLAZA - FROM ZOMBIES! Find out how at:

http://twitter.com/TheKCRag
loftguy
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by loftguy »

KCMax wrote: Not to hijack this thread, but what is taking the place of that Asian market? I thought I read something about it here. When is it opening, if ever?
There have been several who have made a run at the space, but none has stuck.

It's an awesome space for a Classic Cup type operation, or whatever.  Would really round out the River Market offerings and should be poised to take advantage of 500 new upscale residents when the Market Station apartments are finished.

Any River Market Brewery rumors?
kucer
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by kucer »

Todd is a great guy. I'm really happy for him.

The New England Clam Chowder and the Butternut Squash w/ Chorizo soup I had delivered this week were outta site.
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

best lunch i've had in a long time today, anywhere. turkey sandwich, a cup of red curry carrot soup, with a brownie. wish they had more tables...
ChefColby
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by ChefColby »

I loooooove this place...... :D

I promise I'm not trying to hijack this, but I ate at Kim Long's (I know, just never stopped when I drove by) for the first time the other day and thought it was pretty dam good too....It's way cleaner inside than looks on the outside.
bobbyhawks
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by bobbyhawks »

http://cityclerk.kcmo.org/liveweb/Docum ... VXqZda4M91

Here's to hoping that this gets moving.  Happy Genessee at 1515 Genessee (old Sinclair filling station).

Sounds like Grandma's or whatever it is called is a complete fail, so it will be nice to see a real companion location to R Bar in this area of the bottoms.
trailerkid
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by trailerkid »

bobbyhawks wrote: http://cityclerk.kcmo.org/liveweb/Docum ... VXqZda4M91

Here's to hoping that this gets moving.  Happy Genessee at 1515 Genessee (old Sinclair filling station).

Sounds like Grandma's or whatever it is called is a complete fail, so it will be nice to see a real companion location to R Bar in this area of the bottoms.
Grandma's is/was not at this location. Happy Gillis was rumored to open in this old filling station for many, many months.
bobbyhawks
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by bobbyhawks »

trailerkid wrote: Grandma's is/was not at this location. Happy Gillis was rumored to open in this old filling station for many, many months.
Understood.  Just refreshing the topic since the link above hints that the planning and funding may be headed in the right direction.  I also realize that Grandma's is in a different location (former Connie's Genessee Inn) and was just pointing out that a more recent attempt at a restaurant in the area did not do much to raise its profile. 
WSPanic
Supporter

Post by WSPanic »

bobbyhawks wrote: Understood.  Just refreshing the topic since the link above hints that the planning and funding may be headed in the right direction.  I also realize that Grandma's is in a different location (former Connie's Genessee Inn) and was just pointing out that a more recent attempt at a restaurant in the area did not do much to raise its profile. 
What happened to Grandma's? It looked like it was almost finished (completed) a few months ago.
If it doesn't have street-level retail, it's an abortion.
bobbyhawks
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by bobbyhawks »

WSPanic wrote: What happened to Grandma's? It looked like it was almost finished (completed) a few months ago.
I heard from someone who has a space in the Livestock Exchange that it has been open for lunch and is dark, musty, and not very good.  I don't want to impress an unfair image upon the place since I haven't been there, but she didn't have great things to say about it. 
KCMax
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by KCMax »

Happy Soup Eater is back...kinda. Uncommon Stock opening in the Happy Gillis garage.

Soft opening alert: Soup’s on
KCtonic
New York Life
New York Life

Post by KCtonic »

KCMax wrote:Happy Soup Eater is back...kinda. Uncommon Stock opening in the Happy Gillis garage.

Uncommon Stock is moving from it's location by Happy Gillis in Columbus Park. Not saying where to yet. I reallly, hope its not moving too far. City Market would be a great location imo.

http://us5.campaign-archive1.com/?u=49b ... b9f0292baa
kboish
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by kboish »

KCtonic wrote:
KCMax wrote:Happy Soup Eater is back...kinda. Uncommon Stock opening in the Happy Gillis garage.

Uncommon Stock is moving from it's location by Happy Gillis in Columbus Park. Not saying where to yet. I reallly, hope its not moving too far. City Market would be a great location imo.

http://us5.campaign-archive1.com/?u=49b ... b9f0292baa

Awhile ago I heard it was west bottoms bound, but that could be out of date info
brewcrew1000
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by brewcrew1000 »

I think West Bottoms would be a stupid location. I think a good location would be one of the strip malls in Westport like that one where Californo's is located or the one where Wich Wich/Freebirds is at, plenty of open spaces over there.
KCtonic
New York Life
New York Life

Post by KCtonic »

Just confirmed. Uncommon Stock is moving to a place on Southwest Blvd near Boulevard Brewery. Not sure of the exact location, but that's what they said when picking up soup this morning.
chrizow
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by chrizow »

KCtonic wrote:Just confirmed. Uncommon Stock is moving to a place on Southwest Blvd near Boulevard Brewery. Not sure of the exact location, but that's what they said when picking up soup this morning.
interesting. are they going to do the delivery / carryout only, or have a sit-down component?
KCtonic
New York Life
New York Life

Post by KCtonic »

chrizow wrote:
KCtonic wrote:Just confirmed. Uncommon Stock is moving to a place on Southwest Blvd near Boulevard Brewery. Not sure of the exact location, but that's what they said when picking up soup this morning.
interesting. are they going to do the delivery / carryout only, or have a sit-down component?
No idea. My guess is it will continue as it has been where you stop by on Fri/Sat/Sun to pick up your Soup (and a few other items now) to take home and prepare there.

PS: If you want some of the soup from their freezer sale, you better hurry. It was selling out quite quickly even at 10:30am today.
TheBigChuckbowski
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by TheBigChuckbowski »

If they're not changing anything about the concept, the move makes no sense.
kboish
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by kboish »

TheBigChuckbowski wrote:If they're not changing anything about the concept, the move makes no sense.
space/size?