Status and future of the River Market area??

Issues concerning Downtown as described by the Downtown Council. River to 31st Street, I-35 to Bruce R. Watkins.
moderne
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Re: Status and future of the River Market area??

Post by moderne »

Are those gigantic electrical towers going up over the new bridge going to continue east further? Must we further make whats left of the river connection nothing but an utility conduit?
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

CitySceneKC is reporting the building at 407 Grand, formerly home to Hammer Bros. Inc., will become the new home to TheGymKC by Spring 2023.

Plan Calls for Historic River Market Building to be Restored for Gym
A derelict historic building in the River Market at 407 Grand is slated to be restored to its original appearance as the new home of TheGymKC.

TheGymKC, which has operated in the River Market at 200 Wyandotte, needs to relocate to make way for a redevelopment plan, according to the project application with the Planned Industrial Expansion Authority.
Developer Kyle FitzGerald is pursuing the $2.6 million project and plans to renovate the two-story building for TheGymKC. The building at 407 Grand was built in 1925 and is on the streetcar route.
FitzGerald is seeking a 10-year, 100 percent property tax abatement on the increased value of the project from the PIEA. The developer also is seeking $426,000 in state and federal historic tax credits.

According to the PIEA application, the Grand Boulevard facade will once again feature a transom window from north to south, operable garage doors, two pedestrian doors and large storefront style windows with four, 32-lite windows on the second floor.

The developer said the tax incentives are necessary because of the facade restoration and the extensive repairs necessary to stabilize the almost 100 year-old structure.
https://cityscenekc.com/plan-calls-for- ... d-for-gym/

https://www.google.com/maps/@39.109412 ... 384!8i8192
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

TheGymKC, which has operated in the River Market at 200 Wyandotte, needs to relocate to make way for a redevelopment plan, according to the project application with the Planned Industrial Expansion Authority.
Does anyone know what the redevelopment plan is for 200 Wyandotte?

https://www.google.com/maps/@39.1098542 ... 384!8i8192
HalcyonKC
New York Life
New York Life

Post by HalcyonKC »

FangKC wrote: Fri Nov 18, 2022 7:57 am
Does anyone know what the redevelopment plan is for 200 Wyandotte?

https://www.google.com/maps/@39.1098542 ... 384!8i8192
I don't believe there is anything formal, at least not yet. But that lot and adjacent parcels on the block are owned by LLC's using the same Chicago address, and their local property portfolio is predominately apartments. I have heard the gym was having difficulty getting the building's owners to do needed repairs, nor were they interested in extending another long term lease. So speculation is, the landowner was assembling parcels on the block and clearing its existing landlord-tenant obligations for a possible apartment project. The block does seem pretty underutilized compared to what's now around it.
TheUrbanRoo
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by TheUrbanRoo »

Can we get that surface lot next to this new gym filled up? Seems like with a gym next door it would be prime for an apartment
HalcyonKC
New York Life
New York Life

Post by HalcyonKC »

UMKC Roo wrote: Fri Nov 18, 2022 2:55 pm Can we get that surface lot next to this new gym filled up? Seems like with a gym next door it would be prime for an apartment
The KCMO GIS parcel viewer shows that surface parking as being part of the same lot as the gym building. Given the owner's quote, “We’ll be right on the streetcar line and more centrally located in the neighborhood. We’ll have a private parking lot and tons of public parking right outside our door,” it sounds like she regards the parking lot as an asset to the business. I don't think it is going anywhere for now.
TheUrbanRoo
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by TheUrbanRoo »

I missed that quote. I'm now wishing this gym wouldn't be moving here then. This could be an awesome TOD but instead we're getting a suburban style gym? The gym owner is bringing a suburban style of thinking to downtown. Bad.
TheLastGentleman
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by TheLastGentleman »

UMKC Roo wrote: Fri Nov 18, 2022 6:59 pm I missed that quote. I'm now wishing this gym wouldn't be moving here then. This could be an awesome TOD but instead we're getting a suburban style gym? The gym owner is bringing a suburban style of thinking to downtown. Bad.
Suburban style thinking has been infiltrating downtown in way worse ways than this, if you think this is bad
TheUrbanRoo
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by TheUrbanRoo »

I know there are other examples, but my biggest pet peeve is leaving surface lots open for "parking for customers". Such wasted land use.
Anthony_Hugo98
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by Anthony_Hugo98 »

UMKC Roo wrote: Fri Nov 18, 2022 6:59 pm I missed that quote. I'm now wishing this gym wouldn't be moving here then. This could be an awesome TOD but instead we're getting a suburban style gym? The gym owner is bringing a suburban style of thinking to downtown. Bad.
*Generally motions to riverfront development*
TheLastGentleman
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

*Generally motions to Kansas City*

"Yellow shows surface parking lots, while green are garages."

https://twitter.com/the_transit_guy/sta ... 6794688512
Chris Stritzel
Penntower
Penntower

Post by Chris Stritzel »

It's a real shame that a good chunk of those parking lot owners refuse to even consider an offer. I know a few yellow boxes will go away, but not nearly enough to put a dent in that.
TheUrbanRoo
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by TheUrbanRoo »

That’s why I want the Royals to build some big parking garages. Make it better to develop those surface lots instead.
beautyfromashes
One Park Place
One Park Place

Post by beautyfromashes »

UMKC Roo wrote: Sat Nov 19, 2022 2:02 am That’s why I want the Royals to build some big parking garages. Make it better to develop those surface lots instead.
How come stadiums are never built with parking directly under the field?
Cratedigger
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by Cratedigger »

beautyfromashes wrote: Sat Nov 19, 2022 9:54 am
UMKC Roo wrote: Sat Nov 19, 2022 2:02 am That’s why I want the Royals to build some big parking garages. Make it better to develop those surface lots instead.
Safety?

Genuinely not sure
Anthony_Hugo98
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by Anthony_Hugo98 »

beautyfromashes wrote: Sat Nov 19, 2022 9:54 am
Car bombs make me think that might be a bad idea
beautyfromashes
One Park Place
One Park Place

Anthony_Hugo98 wrote: Sat Nov 19, 2022 10:18 am Car bombs make me think that might be a bad idea
I thought of this too, but on the field is probably the place most guaranteed to have the least amount of people.
im2kull
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by im2kull »

beautyfromashes wrote: Sat Nov 19, 2022 11:59 am
Anthony_Hugo98 wrote: Sat Nov 19, 2022 10:18 am Car bombs make me think that might be a bad idea
I thought of this too, but on the field is probably the place most guaranteed to have the least amount of people.
Terrorism isn't about killing people. It's about making a statement and filling people's irrational brains with terror and fear.
beautyfromashes
One Park Place
One Park Place

im2kull wrote: Sat Nov 19, 2022 1:41 pm
beautyfromashes wrote: Sat Nov 19, 2022 11:59 am
Terrorism isn't about killing people. It's about making a statement and filling people's irrational brains with terror and fear.
I agree. I'd say the fear of someone blowing up a bomb in a baseball field in Kansas City is pretty irrational. I guess being able to drive a big delivery truck into a garage under a DT stadium during the World Series is technically possible but highly, highly improbable.
TheLastGentleman
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Our convention center lies over a busy freeway. If terrorism in kansas city was a big concern, I don’t think that would’ve been done