Status and future of the River Market area??

Issues concerning Downtown as described by the Downtown Council. River to 31st Street, I-35 to Bruce R. Watkins.
Riverite
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Re: Status and future of the River Market area??

Post by Riverite »

Is that replacing the plaza and trees?
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

Riverite wrote: Fri Aug 06, 2021 12:04 am Is that replacing the plaza and trees?
yes
KCDowntown
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by KCDowntown »

I love it - it looks like there are 16 different tenant spaces in this building. Granted I doubt all 16 tenant spaces will be divided singularly, but small developments like this can drive foot traffic. 16 different tenants give people a bunch of different reasons to walk here or take the streetcar here. (Probably an exaggeration) but there are whole streets in the loop that don't have space for 16 different tenants. As a bonus it encloses a big section of Delaware.

KCDowntown
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

I'm just glad I didn't hold my breath too long for the rowhouses to be built. Best of luck let us know if a neighborhood voice can help. Rooting for you.
Riverite
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by Riverite »

It reminds me a lot of the box parks in London. https://www.boxpark.co.uk/
earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by earthling »

removed per request of todoactivist
Last edited by earthling on Sat Aug 07, 2021 11:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
missingkc
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by missingkc »

Why do I imagine that the folks raising the biggest stink about this being out of character for the RM will be the ones who control the parking lots and are standing in the way of a larger brick and mortar project.
Rabble
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by Rabble »

ToDactivist wrote: Thu Aug 05, 2021 8:59 pm
Rabble wrote: Thu Aug 05, 2021 7:26 pm I’ve heard 2nd and Delaware has plenty of extra parking. Great, so they should reach an agreement with the owner of the lot on the SE corner of 2nd & D to take on those leased spaces. A new building on that surface lot could turn the intersection into one the most beautiful in the city.
Okay so b/c i broached the subject and to be more clear on parking "issues"...LotG and LotH (3rd/DE and large lot behind RM West streetcar stop respectively) were burdened in the 90's by Old Town Development Corp - old guys - who decided that these lots should forever (till 2050) hold un-dedciated spaces for 121 cars from Chase Lofts/Askew/Volker/Pacific. The lofts have ~ 250 spaces and yet each and every space is burdened and cannot be taken away nor can the 121 spaces be dedicated/reserved. Getting the idea here? Its not a council issue and the HOA issue is another story. Infilling on these lots means building a garage to accommodate the 121 + new tenants and some ambiguity on whether the 121 could just pack into the nice new garage. And no provision for construction re-location. And one of those entities is probably litigious. So smart attys at various expensive firms has thus far not found a solution. EDC can condemn potentially but at a cost and again it comes down to $$ to compensate for lost spaces/etc on a condemnation or $$$ on a parking garage that might hold 121 cars that get to park for free. (121 x $30K/space = a big number). I am thus dis-incentified to develop. Council will soon be made aware of this as we do believe the neighborhood benefits, so TBD on the end of this story....and yes something interesting this way comes...
I understand this is complicated, but the old guys you refer to were the pioneers of downtown redevelopment. Is it possible to talk to these gentlemen about the decreasing demands for parking today as opposed to 40 years ago, without lawyers? These guys were urban idealists before some of the people on this forum were born. Maybe they would be open to civic cooperation, they certainly have shown a love for the River Market in the past.
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

The properties were sold
ToDactivist
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by ToDactivist »

Rabble wrote: Fri Aug 06, 2021 6:46 pm
Rabble wrote: Thu Aug 05, 2021 7:26 pm I’ve heard 2nd and Delaware has plenty of extra parking. Great, so they should reach an agreement with the owner of the lot on the SE corner of 2nd & D to take on those leased spaces. A new building on that surface lot could turn the intersection into one the most beautiful in the city.
Okay so b/c i broached the subject and to be more clear on parking "issues"...LotG and LotH (3rd/DE and large lot behind RM West streetcar stop respectively) were burdened in the 90's by Old Town Development Corp - old guys - who decided that these lots should forever (till 2050) hold un-dedciated spaces for 121 cars from Chase Lofts/Askew/Volker/Pacific. The lofts have ~ 250 spaces and yet each and every space is burdened and cannot be taken away nor can the 121 spaces be dedicated/reserved. Getting the idea here? Its not a council issue and the HOA issue is another story. Infilling on these lots means building a garage to accommodate the 121 + new tenants and some ambiguity on whether the 121 could just pack into the nice new garage. And no provision for construction re-location. And one of those entities is probably litigious. So smart attys at various expensive firms has thus far not found a solution. EDC can condemn potentially but at a cost and again it comes down to $$ to compensate for lost spaces/etc on a condemnation or $$$ on a parking garage that might hold 121 cars that get to park for free. (121 x $30K/space = a big number). I am thus dis-incentified to develop. Council will soon be made aware of this as we do believe the neighborhood benefits, so TBD on the end of this story....and yes something interesting this way comes...
I understand this is complicated, but the old guys you refer to were the pioneers of downtown redevelopment. Is it possible to talk to these gentlemen about the decreasing demands for parking today as opposed to 40 years ago, without lawyers? These guys were urban idealists before some of the people on this forum were born. Maybe they would be open to civic cooperation, they certainly have shown a love for the River Market in the past.
ToDactivist
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by ToDactivist »

Rabble wrote: Fri Aug 06, 2021 6:46 pm
Singular entity and a lawyer and relatively good relationship however stuck in that no space should be removed, period. We exhaust all options. This is solvable over time. Recall I was suggesting patience while we do what we can elsewhere. I dont really appreciate the unexpected leak of the plans, however, as jumping in front of planning/civic/council can sometimes have adverse affects.
TheLastGentleman
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by TheLastGentleman »

ToDactivist wrote: Sat Aug 07, 2021 10:23 amI dont really appreciate the unexpected leak of the plans, however, as jumping in front of planning/civic/council can sometimes have adverse affects.
I had permission to share them, but if they need to come down, that can happen
ToDactivist
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by ToDactivist »

TheLastGentleman wrote: Sat Aug 07, 2021 11:05 am
ToDactivist wrote: Sat Aug 07, 2021 10:23 amI dont really appreciate the unexpected leak of the plans, however, as jumping in front of planning/civic/council can sometimes have adverse affects.
I had permission to share them, but if they need to come down, that can happen
lets not jinx this one. i'd apprecriate it for now and thanks.
earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by earthling »

^I"ll remove as well.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

Kcrag exclusive! Subscriber content only
earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by earthling »

Biz Journal has now reported the Delaware container project. Wonder if they got tipped via kcrag?
https://www.bizjournals.com/kansascity/ ... ainer.html
A preliminary plan set depicts a two-level building with twelve smaller tenant spaces totaling 2,520 square feet, 1,630 square feet of food and bar space and 2,440 square feet of outdoor dining areas and elevated decks.

Epoch Developments anticipates filing plans with Kansas City staff over the next few months and hopes to open The Market Commons in mid-2022.

beautyfromashes
One Park Place
One Park Place

Post by beautyfromashes »

I know I'm supposed to like it, but I don't. Basically, one story with a balcony right on the streetcar seems a waste of a prime spot. Sorry.
earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by earthling »

It comes across to me as a quick and dirty temp project for something more substantial at a later time when timing is right. I think it's great for a temp solution and directly caters to streetcar crowds. Great way to squeeze in another dozen vendors at a streetcar stop but I wonder if it will be weather proofed with HVAC? If not, appropriate for a temp situation that will complete the walkability of this stretch until something better is doable. I like it and wouldn't mind if long term but could be a challenge if not weatherized along with HVAC, not as much for streetcar patrons but for attracting/keeping vendors.
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

If it's a temporary solution, I have no problem with the idea of it. Long-term, I'd rather see something with apartments over the street-level spaces.
Rabble
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by Rabble »

With the amount of surface lots in our downtown I'm OK with this temporary solution lasting for 20 years. I think it looks cool and will generate inexpensive retail options that will be wonderful for the River Market.

My question is how many shipping container developments could you have before everybody gets sick of shipping containers? Also, how tall could you build with containers? 5 story with an elevator?