Status and future of the River Market area??

Issues concerning Downtown as described by the Downtown Council. River to 31st Street, I-35 to Bruce R. Watkins.
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Re: Status and future of the River Market area??

Post by FangKC »

Rabble wrote: Mon Aug 09, 2021 6:38 pm With the amount of surface lots in our downtown I'm OK with this temporary solution lasting for 20 years. I think it looks cool and will generate inexpensive retail options that will be wonderful for the River Market.

My question is how many shipping container developments could you have before everybody gets sick of shipping containers? Also, how tall could you build with containers? 5 story with an elevator?
The only argument I would make against your point is that it's located on the streetcar route, so the creation of apartments should be centered along it as a priority. A temporary shipping container project would be better placed further away -- say in the East Crossroads at 18th and Charlotte.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

I'd always been drawn to the idea of an indoor market part of this project but I just dawned on me when Arabia leaves let's make that into an indoor market for flower vendors, meat vendors, etc that you see in other cities.
earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by earthling »

So what do those who actually live in RM think of the container project? Especially if it's just temporary?
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by flyingember »

earthling wrote: Tue Aug 10, 2021 8:14 am So what do those who actually live in RM think of the container project? Especially if it's just temporary?
I would give good odds that 99% of people don't care and will enjoy having a new amenity in their neighborhood.

How often do you think people actually care what the Costco in midtown looks like?
Riverite
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by Riverite »

I really hope each container is used as a low cost individual space or stall type area to allow for more local spaces to try things out
beautyfromashes
One Park Place
One Park Place

Post by beautyfromashes »

Rabble wrote: Mon Aug 09, 2021 6:38 pm My question is how many shipping container developments could you have before everybody gets sick of shipping containers?
We're at that number already for me.
shinatoo
Ambassador

Post by shinatoo »

beautyfromashes wrote: Tue Aug 10, 2021 12:35 pm
Rabble wrote: Mon Aug 09, 2021 6:38 pm My question is how many shipping container developments could you have before everybody gets sick of shipping containers?
We're at that number already for me.
+1
earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by earthling »

Collison on container project...
https://cityscenekc.com/upcycled-contai ... er-market/
“It would be very affordable for start-up businesses,” he said.

The architect of the project is GastingerWalker&. If successful in obtaining city approvals, Slawson said he expects the development to be open by the middle of next year.

The developer is uncertain if the container project will be a temporary solution to creating more commercial space or long-term.

“Ideally, I could see blending it in with a future structure behind it,” he said.
If it works and looks like it may be timeless, keep it. If it doesn't appear so, replace when other project happens. Would question long term viability if not weather-proofed and no HVAC but it's a great temp solution until major project materializes.
ToDactivist
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by ToDactivist »

Weatherproofed + HVAC + a conga line on friday nights but all comments spot on. It is ALL we can do at the moment to solve temporary or longer needs so we are doing it and whatever follows will follow when ready. Containers notion itself is somewhat of a novelty but interesting and friendly but will disappear with time.
earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by earthling »

Last edited by earthling on Tue Aug 10, 2021 4:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
tower
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by tower »

flyingember wrote: Tue Aug 10, 2021 8:19 am
earthling wrote: Tue Aug 10, 2021 8:14 am So what do those who actually live in RM think of the container project? Especially if it's just temporary?
I would give good odds that 99% of people don't care and will enjoy having a new amenity in their neighborhood.

How often do you think people actually care what the Costco in midtown looks like?
I think this project is fine, but I think the river market needs more housing to drive foot traffic the rest of the week, and doesn't really need more retail spaces. river market is packed on the weekends in the summer, but is otherwise comparatively empty, so things tend to close down early or be pretty empty on weekdays.

That said, I care more about the streetscape than anything, and this has much better street interaction than most recent downtown buildings.
Rabble
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by Rabble »

Could containers be used for RM housing? Something taller than 3 stories. I’m not finding any examples online.

Or maybe a half block of 2 story container row houses-directly south of 2nd & Delaware.
Last edited by Rabble on Tue Aug 10, 2021 8:08 pm, edited 2 times in total.
TheLastGentleman
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by TheLastGentleman »

I could swear I heard that there was a container building proposed for the sliver of space between 511 and 517 Delaware.

FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

Rabble wrote: Tue Aug 10, 2021 7:35 pm Could containers be used for RM housing? Something taller than 3 stories. I’m not finding any examples online.

Or maybe a half block of 2 story container row houses-directly south of 2nd & Delaware.
viewtopic.php?f=15&t=21019&p=612085&hil ... ng#p612085
Rabble
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by Rabble »

FangKC wrote: Tue Aug 10, 2021 8:19 pm
Rabble wrote: Tue Aug 10, 2021 7:35 pm Could containers be used for RM housing? Something taller than 3 stories. I’m not finding any examples online.

viewtopic.php?f=15&t=21019&p=612085&hil ... ng#p612085
Thank you!
KCDowntown
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by KCDowntown »

The agenda for the September 16th PIEA meeting has the city transferring the parking lot to the west of the City Market (North Side of 5th & Main) over to Port KC.

KCDowntown
Riverite
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by Riverite »

KCDowntown wrote: Fri Sep 10, 2021 4:44 pm The agenda for the September 16th PIEA meeting has the city transferring the parking lot to the west of the City Market (North Side of 5th & Main) over to Port KC.

KCDowntown
Does that mean that flaherty development will kick off soon?
earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by earthling »

earthling wrote: Mon Aug 09, 2021 2:38 pm Biz Journal has now reported the Delaware container project. Wonder if they got tipped via kcrag?
https://www.bizjournals.com/kansascity/ ... ainer.html
A preliminary plan set depicts a two-level building with twelve smaller tenant spaces totaling 2,520 square feet, 1,630 square feet of food and bar space and 2,440 square feet of outdoor dining areas and elevated decks.

Epoch Developments anticipates filing plans with Kansas City staff over the next few months and hopes to open The Market Commons in mid-2022.

ToDactivist, still expecting to file plans on this soon? And in general are you experiencing labor challenges?
ToDactivist
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by ToDactivist »

Yes still on the board and going back and forth on material costs thru VE process and of course rigidity of planning dept on unconventionals. Some hidden costs arising like a new water line from 3rd, fire suppression, occupancy, blah, blah, blah.

Going to infrared and fans for 3-season and most likely partially covered vs just canvas. Dont like the tent solutions.
earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by earthling »

^Thanks. Expecting any challenges from City? It's an awesome temp solution until bigger project is feasible. Great way to get a dozen TOD thingies in place for time being.