Status and future of the River Market area??

Issues concerning Downtown as described by the Downtown Council. River to 31st Street, I-35 to Bruce R. Watkins.
im2kull
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Re: Status and future of the River Market area??

Post by im2kull »

beautyfromashes wrote: Sat Nov 19, 2022 2:25 pm
im2kull wrote: Sat Nov 19, 2022 1:41 pm
beautyfromashes wrote: Sat Nov 19, 2022 11:59 am
I thought of this too, but on the field is probably the place most guaranteed to have the least amount of people.
Terrorism isn't about killing people. It's about making a statement and filling people's irrational brains with terror and fear.
I agree. I'd say the fear of someone blowing up a bomb in a baseball field in Kansas City is pretty irrational. I guess being able to drive a big delivery truck into a garage under a DT stadium during the World Series is technically possible but highly, highly improbable.
That wouldn't even be technically possible. Have you not seen the ceiling clearance heights on modern garages? Good luck getting any kind of big delivery truck inside.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

That wouldn't be done today.
beautyfromashes
One Park Place
One Park Place

Post by beautyfromashes »

im2kull wrote: Sat Nov 19, 2022 2:27 pm That wouldn't even be technically possible. Have you not seen the ceiling clearance heights on modern garages? Good luck getting any kind of big delivery truck inside.
Right. So what would be the realistic fear with burying the parking garage under a stadium field area? It would be cheaper and easier than putting it under any building. We've done it under P&L. Seems a decent way to hide garage parking in a very efficient manner.
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

beautyfromashes wrote: Sat Nov 19, 2022 3:10 pm
im2kull wrote: Sat Nov 19, 2022 2:27 pm That wouldn't even be technically possible. Have you not seen the ceiling clearance heights on modern garages? Good luck getting any kind of big delivery truck inside.
Right. So what would be the realistic fear with burying the parking garage under a stadium field area? It would be cheaper and easier than putting it under any building. We've done it under P&L. Seems a decent way to hide garage parking in a very efficient manner.
Stadiums are often already below ground level. It probably not cheaper or easier to dig even further
im2kull
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by im2kull »

KCPowercat wrote: Sat Nov 19, 2022 2:59 pm That wouldn't be done today.
What wouldn't be done today?
im2kull
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by im2kull »

normalthings wrote: Sat Nov 19, 2022 4:13 pm
beautyfromashes wrote: Sat Nov 19, 2022 3:10 pm
Stadiums are often already below ground level. It probably not cheaper or easier to dig even further
This. It comes down to cost. Nothing else. Excavation is the most expensive part of any major project. The garage under P&L was extremely expensive and was only placed there because the taxpayers were footing the bill. Every other garage in the area is above ground.. for a reason.
beautyfromashes
One Park Place
One Park Place

normalthings wrote: Sat Nov 19, 2022 4:13 pm Stadiums are often already below ground level. It probably not cheaper or easier to dig even further
I do know the K has the stadium lower than the actual field. With such a massive area under the field, you wouldn't even need it to be very deep (like P&L) to provide a significant amount of parking. I'd sure prefer this over taking a whole city block, or two, just for the same amount of spaces.
TheLastGentleman
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by TheLastGentleman »

The convention center? The ballroom opened in like 2007 right? It spans the freeway. What has changed since then that would keep them from doing that?
Chris Stritzel
Penntower
Penntower

Post by Chris Stritzel »

im2kull wrote: Sat Nov 19, 2022 4:42 pm
More so than just the outrageous cost, I’d say safety/security plays a role. Having a stadium where 30,000+ can get together would be a target for less than desirable people who are crazy enough to be on a mission of terror.
beautyfromashes
One Park Place
One Park Place

Chris Stritzel wrote: Sat Nov 19, 2022 4:46 pm
More so than just the outrageous cost, I’d say safety/security plays a role. Having a stadium where 30,000+ can get together would be a target for less than desirable people who are crazy enough to be on a mission of terror.
What outrageous cost? You dig the field, bury prebuilt garage forms and cover it up. Seems it'd be cheaper than building under a building for sure and likely cheaper than building up on an empty lot.

Not sure how having parking under the field portion would make a terror attack more likely or deadly than just being on the street when a game lets out or in a garage directly across from the field as is likely what there will be.

Anyway, I'll let it go.
Anthony_Hugo98
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by Anthony_Hugo98 »

TheLastGentleman wrote: Sat Nov 19, 2022 2:27 pm Our convention center lies over a busy freeway. If terrorism in kansas city was a big concern, I don’t think that would’ve been done
Not saying it’s a fear or genuine concern I have, just stating the powers in charge would very much take safety factors like that into consideration.
Last edited by Anthony_Hugo98 on Sat Nov 19, 2022 5:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

beautyfromashes wrote: Sat Nov 19, 2022 5:07 pm

What outrageous cost? You dig the field, bury prebuilt garage forms and cover it up. Seems it'd be cheaper than building under a building for sure and likely cheaper than building up on an empty lot.

Not sure how having parking under the field portion would make a terror attack more likely or deadly than just being on the street when a game lets out or in a garage directly across from the field as is likely what there will be.

Anyway, I'll let it go.
Its really not that much usable parking space. Digging deeper gets more expensive the deeper you go, and you are already 50+ feet deep before the garage.

How are cars going to get in/out of the garage? They would need a tunnel to an entry on another block.

Its a pretty interesting idea. The high costs of digging just make it unrealistic
im2kull
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by im2kull »

beautyfromashes wrote: Sat Nov 19, 2022 5:07 pm

Anyway, I'll let it go.
Don't let it go. I actually agree. I think it's a great idea. Everyone who thinks terrorism or security would be some kind of roadblock is obviously forgetting the fact that we're about to build a massive city park full of people and structures on top of an existing freeway..
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

TheLastGentleman wrote: Sat Nov 19, 2022 4:44 pm
The convention center? The ballroom opened in like 2007 right? It spans the freeway. What has changed since then that would keep them from doing that?
Fair point.
gfenn11
New York Life
New York Life

Post by gfenn11 »

beautyfromashes wrote: Sat Nov 19, 2022 9:54 am
UMKC Roo wrote: Sat Nov 19, 2022 2:02 am That’s why I want the Royals to build some big parking garages. Make it better to develop those surface lots instead.
How come stadiums are never built with parking directly under the field?
Cincinnati's stadium has a parking garage/loading dock built under the western side of the structure.

https://www.google.com/maps/@39.0960863 ... 384!8i8192
Eon Blue
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by Eon Blue »

beautyfromashes wrote: Sat Nov 19, 2022 5:07 pm What outrageous cost? You dig the field, bury prebuilt garage forms and cover it up. Seems it'd be cheaper than building under a building for sure and likely cheaper than building up on an empty lot.

Anyway, I'll let it go.
Speaking purely from the engineering perspective:
- On an urban site like this you have to haul away most of the material you excavate, which adds cost.
- You've got a decent chance of hitting rock at some point, which drives the cost way up.
- As you excavate, you need to shore up the adjacent streets/buildings until your permanent structure is in place, which is expensive. It's more expensive the deeper you go. Then once your permanent structure is in place, the walls have to hold up those same adjacent features for the lifetime of the structure.
- Then, once you get to the bottom you have to worry about drainage - either from rain getting into your hole (which can be controlled to some extent), or from groundwater seepage. Either one will require some sort of pumping system, which also adds cost. (What about tying into a deep sewer for gravity drainage? All of the same costs that I noted already.)
- Then to boot, your garage has to hold up not just itself but also the structure above it. Even a field with dirt and grass and a drainage system is going to be fairly heavy.
- Probably some other factors I didn't think of the top of my head just now.

So, it's not impossible...it's just money. :)
Critical_Mass
Colonnade
Colonnade

Post by Critical_Mass »

I had no idea the parking lot next to the former 'Hammer Bros' building was so complex! Lol
beautyfromashes
One Park Place
One Park Place

Eon Blue wrote: Mon Nov 21, 2022 8:58 pm So, it's not impossible...it's just money. :)
How would this be different than the P&L block? It seems it would get easier the bigger the excavation size because the force would be spread. A wider hole is always more stable then a deep narrow one, right?
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

Enzo posted on instagram hanging of art and signage. Has to be close.
KCMHGuy
Parking Garage
Parking Garage

Post by KCMHGuy »

According to Enzo's IG from 11/22, they'll be opening up in a "couple more weeks or so."