Zona Rosa vs. Boardwalk

Talk about the ever expanding north side of KC.
trailerkid
City Center Square
City Center Square

Zona Rosa vs. Boardwalk

Post by trailerkid »

It looks like there's quite a showdown between Zona and their smaller neighbor. You might have seen this story in the business journal. I really hope Steiner takes out these RED clowns. Steiner seems to build with a purpose and with some style while RED just builds big walls and concrete. The guy from Steiner sounded like he was trying to get some stuff that hadn't come to KC yet. Also, the real estate guy acts like the only place people in the Northland shop at is Wal-Mart.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------
Retail projects' tenant fight turns I-29 into a battle line

Jim Davis Staff Writer
A furious competition for upscale tenants is brewing between The Shops at Boardwalk and Zona Rosa.

Each intends to open late next year in time for holiday shopping.

The latest strike in this battle came Oct. 11, when the Boardwalk developers announced nine tenants — including one Zona Rosa had named in September.

Dan Lowe, a partner in Kansas City with RED Development, which is building the Boardwalk project, said the open-air center's roster fulfills the company's aim to provide boutique shopping that hasn't been available in the Northland.

"We'll have an atmosphere conducive to getting people to stay," Lowe said. "It's not in-and-out shopping. It's an experience."

Yaromir Steiner, president of Steiner + Associates in Columbus, Ohio, uses the same kind of description for what he and his company are trying to accomplish at Zona Rosa.

Steiner said he's not deterred by the apparent defection of Yankee Candle to The Shops at Boardwalk. He said his company's announcement last month naming the retailer merely was an indication of "advanced discussions," not a signed lease.

"Until the lease is signed, you never know for sure," Steiner said.

Boardwalk's announced tenants included Cold Stone Creamery, which Zona Rosa had named in September. After some checking, Lowe said the company's news release was mistaken. He said ice cream will be served at Boardwalk by Maggie Moo's, not Cold Stone.

Steiner said interest in Zona Rosa remains "pretty good," in spite of a soft economy that's causing national retailers to slow their expansion plans.

"The Northland is under-retailed," Steiner said.

That market no longer is overlooked. Several other retail developments also are in the works. Construction could start as soon as the spring on a Lowe's Home Improvement Warehouse that would anchor redevelopment of the Liberty Triangle. Separately, Briarcliff West in Kansas City, North, is marketing La Bella Vita as a tony complement to its expensive houses and new office buildings in Clay County.

Carl LaSala, a principal with LaSala-Sonnenberg Commercial Realty in Overland Park, said he expects a slow Christmas to dampen upscale stores' near-term interest in expanding into the Northland.

"There are only about 450,000 people north of the river," LaSala said. "I don't know how many of them are Talbots shoppers versus Wal-Mart shoppers."

Boardwalk and Zona Rosa both will get built, LaSala said, but Zona Rosa probably will take longer to complete because it's larger.

Zona Rosa remains on track to deliver about 400,000 square feet of space in about a year, Steiner said. He said he expects about 750,000 square feet to be open by 2005. A previously announced hotel could come later.

This size would rival that of Metro North Shopping Center, long the top destination for Northland shoppers. Metro North ranks No. 2 on The Business Journal's list of the Top 25 area shopping centers.

Steiner said the sluggish economy has thwarted the splash he hoped Zona Rosa would make by blunting retailers' expansion plans. But he said the project's long-term viability remains unaffected.

Current business conditions could make it more difficult to entice new retailers to Kansas City. Steiner declined to name prospects he is wooing for Zona Rosa, but he wouldn't deny that his people are talking to several retailers already in the Northland, including Bed Bath & Beyond and Dillard's.

David Hickman of CB Richard Ellis Inc., leasing agent for BarryWoods Crossing on the northeast corner of Interstate 29 and Barry Road, said he hasn't gotten word that Bed Bath & Beyond plans to move across the highway to Zona Rosa.

Officials at Dillard's and Metro North couldn't be reached for comment.

The Shops at Boardwalk is much smaller than Zona Rosa, at 136,000 square feet. Lowe said its announced tenants are new to the Northland. He has described Boardwalk as similar to Hawthorne Plaza on 119th Street near Roe Avenue in Leawood.

Yankee Candle occupies several of RED's other locations. RED knows about the Northland, having built BarryWoods Crossing, which opened five years ago. RED sold BarryWoods in 1998.

Susan Stockman, a spokeswoman for The Yankee Candle Co. Inc. (NYSE: YCC) at the company's headquarters in South Deerfield, Mass., confirmed the company's intent to move into Boardwalk. Stockman declined to comment about Zona Rosa.

Pete Fullerton, executive director of the Platte County Economic Development Council, said the Northland is big enough for Boardwalk and Zona Rosa.

"The bottom line is we're not at saturation, and we're creating destinations on both sides of the interstate that will be complementary to each other," Fullerton said.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Zona Rosa vs. Boardwalk

Post by KCPowercat »

There is room for both if RED would quit biting Steiner's ankles and trying to take their tenants.....
http://downtownkcmo.blogspot.com

Tweeting live from Big 12 tournament @downtownkc
KCgridlock

Zona Rosa vs. Boardwalk

Post by KCgridlock »

That real estate guy totally rubbed me the wrong way, as many JoCo people do ;), "There are only about 450,000 people north of the river," LaSala said. "I don't know how many of them are Talbots shoppers versus Wal-Mart shoppers." Excuse, me? There are about 450,000 people in JoCo as well and many of them shop at Wal-Mart. Hate to break it to Mr JoCo real estate, but the Northland is becoming quite affluent, Platte County's medium household income is at or above JoCo, dumbass. Typical Typical Typical Typical Typical Typical.
Anyway, looks like both projects are going after the same tenants and both will probably do fine. I was up there over the weekend, and Barry Road is a Cluster Fvck just like 39th Street in Independence. Hope some of the improvements we are designing will ease the congestion.
Good2Great
New York Life
New York Life

Zona Rosa vs. Boardwalk

Post by Good2Great »

Thnaks for sticking up for the Northland! It's probably growing faster than anywhere else in the metro, yet it's quiet growth! It really is astounding how much is going on without much fanfair.
KCSKYSCRAPERS changed my life. I was on the edge until I visited this site. Now I find myself longing to dive off a 60 story building onto a frozen fountain paying tribute to the St. Louis Arch.
KCgridlock

Zona Rosa vs. Boardwalk

Post by KCgridlock »

I know, people just go with the flow up there, I REALLY miss the northland.

That Hooters' opened up there without a second thought. From mega churches to super walmarts to automalls, they just open without much snobby nimby crap. People move where they want to move to and that's that, they don't try and control a five mile radius around there homes.

OK, I vented for the day :).
Good2Great
New York Life
New York Life

Zona Rosa vs. Boardwalk

Post by Good2Great »

The automalls are a step in the wrong direction as sales tax is only assessed to the community/state of the BUYER. Basically, Platte County has allowed all of the sub par eye-candy while managing to gain very little of the economic benefit.

Aside from that, I'm very pleased with the manner in which the Northland is growing.
KCSKYSCRAPERS changed my life. I was on the edge until I visited this site. Now I find myself longing to dive off a 60 story building onto a frozen fountain paying tribute to the St. Louis Arch.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Zona Rosa vs. Boardwalk

Post by KCPowercat »

Lexus and Volvo are going to be part of that auto mall...I was surprised.

trailerkid
City Center Square
City Center Square

Zona Rosa vs. Boardwalk

Post by trailerkid »

Is that KC's second Lexus dealer or is there another one besides Superior? If this is the second it shows that the Northland is really starting to develop STRONG buying power. I'm all for Northland giving Jo Co some real competetion. Go Northland!!!!
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Zona Rosa vs. Boardwalk

Post by KCPowercat »

I believe it will be the second...it's also a Superior.

trailerkid
City Center Square
City Center Square

Zona Rosa vs. Boardwalk

Post by trailerkid »

I really hope Steiner talks to the big boys instead of the small fries. I think they need Galyan's instead of Dick's and Nordstrom instead of Dillard's. Give the Northland a property to make Jo Co green with envy.
ShowME
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Zona Rosa vs. Boardwalk

Post by ShowME »

I'll be honest I currently live in Johnson County off Quivira and I-435 and the only reasons are that's where my girlfriend wants to live even though she works at NKC Hospital and it's close to my work (off 95th & 435 KS side) and I go to Grad school at KU so it's close to K-10. If was an exec or VP of some company and had to fly out of KCI once a week or heck even twice a month there's no way in hell I would be living in Southern Johnson County. I just don't understand why it's taken the Northland so long to be a serious contender. The highways are in relatively good shape compared to say South KC or even parts of Johnson County. The schools are good, the taxes are reasonable and it's 10 minutes from the airport. Hopefully businesses and households are starting to realize this. You guy's are right though something has to be done with Barry Rd. Is the Zona Rosa site going to have access to MO-152?
Calling a spade a spade.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Zona Rosa vs. Boardwalk

Post by KCPowercat »

Boardwalk is getting a Border's...drove by their sign today. Also Yankee Candle was listed now...so I guess those 2 are not going to Zona Rosa.

trailerkid
City Center Square
City Center Square

Zona Rosa vs. Boardwalk

Post by trailerkid »

i thought boardwalk was going to be more an upscale "lifestyle center." If they're getting a Borders it kind of mixes big-box in there. With Borders coming into Boardwalk and B&N leaving Barrywoods for Zona this is really starting to get confusing. All the tenants are playing musical chairs up there. I wish Zona Rosa was the only thing coming in because then there would be one mall with everything instead of one with a few stores and Zona with a lot.
trailerkid
City Center Square
City Center Square

Zona Rosa vs. Boardwalk

Post by trailerkid »

In case you didn't know... More stuff announced by Boardwalk up north.
The tenants:

• Coldwater Creek, a women's apparel, jewelry, accessories and gift store.

• J.Jill, women's apparel, accessories, shoes and gifts. Clothing ranges from relaxed career wear to weekend wear, with an emphasis on natural fibers and unique details.

• Jos. A. Bank Clothiers, menswear, including classically tailored and casual clothing with prices typically 20 to 30 percent below many men's stores.

• Icing by Claire's, specialty retailer of costume jewelry and accessories for preteens, teens and young adults.

• Red Star Tavern offers upscale foods in an updated version of the classic American tavern -- leather booths, hearth, high ceilings, dark mahogany wood and stone walls.

• Chipotle Mexican Grill, made-to-order gourmet burritos and other items.

The 136,000-square-foot center will have an open-air design. Other retailers with committed leases are Borders Books & Music, Talbots, Chico's, Yankee Candle, Planet Sub, Nextel Communications and Electronics Boutique.
They have the idea right with stuff like Talbot's, Coldwater Creek, Chico's; but what are the Icing and Electronics Boutique doing there? I hate to be picky, but creating a the right mix of stores is vital to a shopping center's success...just ask Bannister Mall. I'm sorry but the Claire's crowd is not the same as the Talbot's crowd. Basically this place is looking like an even tackier version of Town Center. Leave it to hometown RED to be behind it.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Zona Rosa vs. Boardwalk

Post by KCPowercat »

Red Star tavern was supposed to go into Zona Rosa...interesting

kcmajik
Strip mall
Strip mall

Zona Rosa vs. Boardwalk

Post by kcmajik »

i agree- the listing of tenants isn't exactly what i was hoping for- especially since 90% of the retail is chic material. maybe boardwalk is taking some of the stuff that zona rosa doesn't want- maybe, maybe not. i look forward to zona rosa being more successful than boardwalk- that is if they throw in the right marketing mix that will appeal to the surrounding demos, which im guessing from the average new home starts(299,000) would be middle/upper class- by the way- is zona rosa targeted at upper class or is it just targeting middle/upper class?
DiggityDawg
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Zona Rosa vs. Boardwalk

Post by DiggityDawg »

I know that the last few months aren't exactly peak construction season, but does anyone else think it's weird that it doesn't look like anything's going on out at Zona Rosa? I drive by that thing every afternoon, & I can't remember the last time it looked like something's changed. Isn't this thing scheduled to open in August?
kcmajik
Strip mall
Strip mall

Zona Rosa vs. Boardwalk

Post by kcmajik »

that's what the website says. have you seen that big ass mound of dirt? i don't know if that's part of their landscaping idea or if they're going to sell it. but yeah it's been real dead over there the last several months. however, back in september/october they started to clear land for widening barry rd. that side of i-29 is going to be scary.
trailerkid
City Center Square
City Center Square

Zona Rosa vs. Boardwalk

Post by trailerkid »

It seems that Zona is supposed to be more of an "new urban" regional mall. They've signed stuff like Abercrombie and Express. Boardwalk is supposed is be a lifestyle center with stuff like Chico's and Talbot's. But Boardwalk is contradicting that idea with stuff like Claire's. Basically, it looks as if they're both just going after the same retailers in order to one-up the other development. At this stage, Boardwalk is winning more older upscale merchants while Zona has got the young teenage market covered. These tenant announcements aren't worth a dime as it seems each developer is trying to make the other one look bad by stealing their stores. Who knows what will go where?
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Zona Rosa vs. Boardwalk

Post by KCPowercat »

KC Biz Journal reports that Zona Rosa will open up a Barnes and Noble in Sept 2004. B&N will close it's store next to AMC in Barrywoods by I-29.