Big 12 Football 2009

Can't get enough of sports even on a development board? Get your fix here. Expect heavy moderation on smack talk.
shaffe
Penntower
Penntower

Re: Big 12 Football 2009

Post by shaffe »

jdubwaldo wrote: Anyone think we will see him in a Chiefs uniform next year?
I wish, but the Chiefs jacked that up by beating Pittsburgh.  He's the type of talent that is made for a 3-4 and having him would make a tremendous impact on the defense.

That being said, there is a pretty good amount of DT talent in the draft this year, and I really hope that the Chiefs can manage to get one of them.
NDTeve
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by NDTeve »

Like to see us draft a tackle first then a defensive playmaker.
"Don't go around saying the world owes you a living. The world owes you nothing. It was here first."
- Mark Twain
jdubwaldo
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by jdubwaldo »

An offensive line, receiver + tight end that doesn't drop the ball 90% of the time.....
Hiring an offensive coordinator would be nice.  :)
Highlander
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by Highlander »

LenexatoKCMO wrote: Nah - the Chief's just may win another game before all is said and done and all signs point to Suh going top-3 minimum.  
Pluse we have invested a hell of a lot in DLinemen the last several years - time for some of those guys to step up - there are other parts of the roster that need the draft picks worse.  
I'd love to see the Chief's get Suh, I think he is a defensive impact player along the lines of Derrick Thomas.  That said, it would be tough to go after another defensive lineman after Dorsey et al...  although I have more faith that Suh will work out than I did the others.  

A Big XII player that could be a steal might be Mizzou's wide-out Alexander.  Despite leading college athletics in receiving yards, he seems to be entirely off the radar screen and may still be available in the second round. 
shaffe
Penntower
Penntower

Post by shaffe »

Highlander wrote: I'd love to see the Chief's get Suh, I think he is a defensive impact player along the lines of Derrick Thomas.  That said, it would be tough to go after another defensive lineman after Dorsey et al...  although I have more faith that Suh will work out than I did the others.  

A Big XII player that could be a steal might be Mizzou's wide-out Alexander.  Despite leading college athletics in receiving yards, he seems to be entirely off the radar screen and may still be available in the second round.  
I think a top 40 pick for DA might be a bit high.  I think the Chiefs could get him right off the bat in round 3, though.  But if they're really really convinced he's legit, and his combine/health evaluations might do that, then at the top of the 2nd wouldn't be a horrible reach.

I'd personally like to see another d-lineman like Gerald McCoy or Terrence Cody in the first round, but probably not where they're going to be.  They could trade down about 10 spots and get one of those two, or make the move up a few spots and get Suh.  If they stay put I'd be ok with Okung.

In later rounds I'd like to see them take Jerry Hughes (TCU) to be a rush linebacker.

/Chiefs draft hijack
jdubwaldo
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by jdubwaldo »

shaffe wrote: I think a top 40 pick for DA might be a bit high.  I think the Chiefs could get him right off the bat in round 3, though.  But if they're really really convinced he's legit, and his combine/health evaluations might do that, then at the top of the 2nd wouldn't be a horrible reach.
Not an ice cube's chance in hell Suh makes it past the top 10 pick, if not top 5.
shaffe
Penntower
Penntower

Post by shaffe »

jdubwaldo wrote: Not an ice cube's chance in hell Suh makes it past the top 10 pick, if not top 5.
I agree?  That's why I said I hope the Chiefs (who will probably land in the 5-10 range) move up a few spots (inside the top 5) to get him.  I'd be somewhat surprised if he makes it past #1 or the first 3-4 defense who picks.
jdubwaldo
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by jdubwaldo »

shaffe wrote: I agree?  That's why I said I hope the Chiefs (who will probably land in the 5-10 range) move up a few spots (inside the top 5) to get him.  I'd be somewhat surprised if he makes it past #1 or the first 3-4 defense who picks.
Gotcha, I mis-read and responded in a hurry.
Poor Chiefs, they still have a few chances to lose to move up.  :)
im2kull
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by im2kull »

I don't see Alexander lasting beyond the middle of the 2nd round..at worst.  He was rated higher on everyone's boards than Maclin coming out of highschool, and has produced similar numbers in college.  Not to mention that he's a complete physical specimen when it comes to fitting the numbers of an NFL grade WR.
What's graciously given to KC, is strong for the region as a whole.  Passion and benevolence will one day exeem towards all whom know true adoration.  We shall triumph to better the community as One within
THINK (ONE) KC.
shaffe
Penntower
Penntower

Post by shaffe »

im2kull wrote: He was rated higher on everyone's boards than Maclin coming out of highschool 
That's actually not true.  Alexander is famous for being one of the Rivals 2-star guys that have come to Mizzou and turned into all-coference/all-american players.  That list also includes Sean Weatherspoon, Stryker Sulak, Jake Harry, and a whole host of others who have also made large impacts.

Maclin was rated among the better players in the country, 3rd overall in Missouri and 24th among WRs nationally.
Highlander
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by Highlander »

shaffe wrote: That's actually not true.  Alexander is famous for being one of the Rivals 2-star guys that have come to Mizzou and turned into all-coference/all-american players.  That list also includes Sean Weatherspoon, Stryker Sulak, Jake Harry, and a whole host of others who have also made large impacts.

Maclin was rated among the better players in the country, 3rd overall in Missouri and 24th among WRs nationally.
Had it not been for Gabberts gimpy ankle, Alexander may be a Heisman candidate.  His late season surge in yardage propelled him to the top spot on the stats chart in division I, had Gabbert not had those several bad games in a row (starting with the injury against Nebraska), Alexander's stats would be outrageous.  I think he is a second rounder but he will be a steal going that late...he's the best wideout in the draft. 
grovester
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by grovester »

He seems kinda slight from the couple of times I've seen him, might need some time in the weight room or he won't last in the NFL
eomaha.com
Colonnade
Colonnade

Post by eomaha.com »

Astonishing stats...

Alabama defensive line season totals
98 tackles - 23.5 tackles for loss - 9.5 sacks - 20 hurries - 5 breakups - 0 int - 1 forced fumble -  3 blocked kicks

Florida defensive line season totals
112 tackles - 33 tackles for loss - 14 sacks - 48 hurries - 5 breakups - 0 int - 1 forced fumble - 0 blocked kicks

Texas defensive line season totals
116 tackles - 25.5 tackles for loss - 15.5 sacks - 10 hurries - 7 breakups - 0 int - 2 forced fumbles - 0 blocked kicks

Suh season totals
82 tackles - 23 tackes for loss - 12 sacks - 24 hurries - 10 breakups - 1 int - 1 forced fumble - 3 blocked kicks
kcmetro
One Park Place
One Park Place

Post by kcmetro »

Tuberville might be a possibility

http://www.kansascity.com/sports/story/1623907.html
LenexatoKCMO
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by LenexatoKCMO »

kcmetro wrote: Tuberville might be a possibility

http://www.kansascity.com/sports/story/1623907.html
Harbaugh is looking like the favorite but definitely nice to see that Tuberville is on the line.
LenexatoKCMO
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by LenexatoKCMO »

I hope Kietz gets called on the carpet by his listners after making claims over the last week that the KU football job is 5th best in the north and no better than equal to the job in manhattan in terms of desireability.  If that's true, than how come coachs people have actually heard of seem to want this job - unlike KSU football?
KCMax
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by KCMax »

KU is going to hire Jim Harbaugh according to my source inside the Athletic Department. I'm not sure I believe it either, but he's a guy that would know if it were true.
SAVE THE PLAZA - FROM ZOMBIES! Find out how at:

http://twitter.com/TheKCRag
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

its 9th according to metro's list he published.

you know if the haters quit listening to KK, he wouldn't still be on the radio...
http://downtownkcmo.blogspot.com

Tweeting live from Big 12 tournament @downtownkc
KCMax
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by KCMax »

Sources: Harbaugh Offered Contract With KU

Doesn't mean anything....yet.
SAVE THE PLAZA - FROM ZOMBIES! Find out how at:

http://twitter.com/TheKCRag
LenexatoKCMO
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by LenexatoKCMO »

KCPowercat wrote: its 9th according to metro's list he published.

you know if the haters quit listening to KK, he wouldn't still be on the radio...
Well regardless, it doesn't appear that we will be having to hire any unknown, third tier coordinators or dig up the graves of former coachs to get the job filled.