GO ROYALS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Can't get enough of sports even on a development board? Get your fix here. Expect heavy moderation on smack talk.
smh
Supporter

Re: GO ROYALS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Post by smh »

This spat of injuries was most unfortunately timed. Question: What's the deal with Gio? I realize that might be kind of loaded, but seriously, he seems like a better option at this point.
KCMax
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by KCMax »

smh wrote:This spat of injuries was most unfortunately timed. Question: What's the deal with Gio? I realize that might be kind of loaded, but seriously, he seems like a better option at this point.
He's a poor defender who has never hit at in a number of limited stints at the MLB level.

I wouldn't mind seeing Christian Colon get a shot at this point. He's been on fire lately in Omaha.
beautyfromashes
One Park Place
One Park Place

Post by beautyfromashes »

I said they should trade him but can we all agree now that trading Ervin Santana would have been a bad decision?
KCMax
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by KCMax »

beautyfromashes wrote:I said they should trade him but can we all agree now that trading Ervin Santana would have been a bad decision?
I don't think it would have been a bad decision not to trade him or to trade him. We're not going to win a championship this year, so I would have been okay trading him for the right price.

In a good organization, no one is untouchable at any time for the right price. The Rangers are ahead of us and they were considering dealing Matt Garza who they just acquired.
MidtownCat
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by MidtownCat »

It goes without saying, but we'll make or break our season over the course of these next five games in four days in Detroit.

It's just crazy to think that with three starter out now and a lineup including Chris Getz, Elliot Johnson, and Jamey Carroll that just manufactured TWO runs over two days against one of the worst teams in baseball, that we have any chance in Detroit. But, more miraculous things have happened I suppose.
mean
Administrator
Administrator

Post by mean »

Detroit did just drop two series to pretty bad Yankees and White Sox teams, so at least they're showing signs of mortality, too. That doesn't give me a great deal of hope, but I guess it's better than nothing. Having Tejada out for year kind of scares me. Having a middle infielder who could actually make contact with the ball and put it in play once in a while was a refreshing change of pace.
bobbyhawks
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by bobbyhawks »

mean wrote:Detroit did just drop two series to pretty bad Yankees and White Sox teams, so at least they're showing signs of mortality, too. That doesn't give me a great deal of hope, but I guess it's better than nothing. Having Tejada out for year kind of scares me. Having a middle infielder who could actually make contact with the ball and put it in play once in a while was a refreshing change of pace.
Depressing thought of the day... That pretty bad Yankees team has exactly as many wins as the Royals and is still 5 games above .500 and 5 games out of the WC. Our bar is so low.

There is no doubt, though, that the White Sox are terrible. They will be fighting to avoid 100 losses this year.
bobbyhawks
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by bobbyhawks »

Nothing says we're in it to win it quite like batting Chris Getz in the leadoff position. He has been the leadoff only once, and we failed to score in that game (I know, small sample size). If your OBP is below .300, you have no business in that role. Yost is batting Getz at #1, most likely because he just looks like a #1.

**Edit - I missed the 0-5 stretch earlier in the season when Getz ledoff in consecutive games. In all 6 games, the Royals averaged a score of 1.5 runs per game.
Last edited by bobbyhawks on Thu Aug 15, 2013 3:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
KCMax
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by KCMax »

Goodbye Elliott Johnson. You will be missed.

Not really.
MidtownCat
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by MidtownCat »

Why do they hate Christian Colon so much? The guy was the 4rth pick of the draft three years ago. Does he really suck that much ass?
bobbyhawks
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by bobbyhawks »

bobbyhawks wrote:Nothing says we're in it to win it quite like batting Chris Getz in the leadoff position. He has been the leadoff only once, and we failed to score in that game (I know, small sample size). If your OBP is below .300, you have no business in that role. Yost is batting Getz at #1, most likely because he just looks like a #1.

**Edit - I missed the 0-5 stretch earlier in the season when Getz ledoff in consecutive games. In all 6 games, the Royals averaged a score of 1.5 runs per game.
So Getz proves me wrong in that he gets on base to lead off the game and scores, but then the Royals prove me right (not really) by moving their season record with Getz batting first to 0-7. Their average runs scored moves from 1.5 to 1.4.
chaglang
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by chaglang »

Next year, when we're all making predictions on their 2014 record, everyone needs to also guess the earliest date that someone here declares the Royals season over. Or maybe the number of times it'll be declared dead.
MidtownCat
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by MidtownCat »

chaglang wrote:Next year, when we're all making predictions on their 2014 record, everyone needs to also guess the earliest date that someone here declares the Royals season over. Or maybe the number of times it'll be declared dead.
Good idea.
MidtownCat
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by MidtownCat »

3 runs in 3 games! Welcome back, Getzy.
KCMax
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by KCMax »

Is it time to lock Getz up to a long-term deal? I'd hate to think of how we'd get along without his "little things" that contribute nothing to winning baseball.
MidtownCat
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by MidtownCat »

Chris Getz AKA The Cooler.
chingon
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by chingon »

chaglang wrote:Or maybe the number of times it'll be declared dead.
I think once per loss is a conservative estimate.
chingon
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by chingon »

Duffy looked like vintage Verlander today.
macnw
Colonnade
Colonnade

Post by macnw »

Two runs and a fucking win, who the hell cares? I'm sure there is something wrong with that win. I'll just wait a few min to hear some bullshit stat as to why that win doesn't count. Let's hear it!
bobbyhawks
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by bobbyhawks »

macnw wrote:Two runs and a fucking win, who the hell cares? I'm sure there is something wrong with that win. I'll just wait a few min to hear some bullshit stat as to why that win doesn't count. Let's hear it!
Win is a win. We will obviously take whatever we can get, but it is not sustainable to expect to win at a high rate with this offense. This was our first win of the season with Getz as lead off, and we scored a whole 2 runs. We have no players in that entire lineup hitting above .300, and only 3 of them hit above .270. We haven't scored more than 2 runs in a game since Moose left the lineup. I'll be a lot happier if we explode tonight for Shields. This guy's ERA is over 5.00, so we should be able to hit him. If there is a must win in the series, it is tonight with Shields pitching vs. a mediocre to bad pitcher on the Detroit mound. Davis vs. Fister tomorrow is not a good matchup for us, and Chen vs. Scherzer could be a repeat of today's first game the way Chen has performed.

It is pretty great news that Duffy has come on strong. The Royals will need to close with a best in baseball pitching staff if they are going to overcome their present offensive limitations (or a miracle turnaround in offensive production). The good news is that we have the White Sox next, and then just the Nationals before we could potentially get Tejada back in the lineup. If Moose really is healthy enough to pinch hit tonight, I'll feel a bit better. My preference when Moose comes back would be to keep Getz at 2nd but to bat him 7th or 8th. The Royals have a winning record when Gordon leads off.