Schlitterbahn Waterpark and Resort

Find out what's going on in the Sunflower State's portions of the Metro here.
Ez Street
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Re: Schlitterbahn Waterpark and Resort

Post by Ez Street »

There is a billboard (maybe more) in Topeka for Schlitterbahn when you head north on US-75 just north of Highway 24.

They are marketking it.
im2kull
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by im2kull »

Why would they even bother?  That's what perplexes me.  Any year that something is under construction, and not operating, is a loss.  Its a given within the industry.  You don't make money untill it opens, so why push so hard to get it done this year, rather than sit back, take your losses, and get it done the right way for next year?
What's graciously given to KC, is strong for the region as a whole.  Passion and benevolence will one day exeem towards all whom know true adoration.  We shall triumph to better the community as One within
THINK (ONE) KC.
kcmetro
One Park Place
One Park Place

Post by kcmetro »

im2kull wrote: Why would they even bother?  That's what perplexes me.  Any year that something is under construction, and not operating, is a loss.  Its a given within the industry.  You don't make money untill it opens, so why push so hard to get it done this year, rather than sit back, take your losses, and get it done the right way for next year?
I agree.  It seems really stupid to try to open this up when it's not going to be completely ready.  If you want to make a good first impression with visitors, it doesn't seem like opening the place while the concrete is still curing is the way to do it.
im2kull
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by im2kull »

kcmetro wrote: I agree.  It seems really stupid to try to open this up when it's not going to be completely ready.  If you want to make a good first impression with visitors, it doesn't seem like opening the place while the concrete is still curing is the way to do it.
Exactly.  If there was some way they could open it with 80% of phase I & II done, then go for it.  Otherwise wait untill its 100% done next year and offer someone a product that can compete with Oceans of Fun.  It makes no sense to offer a sub-par product to your target market, that will do nothing to help you and only plant an unfinished image in their heads.  Why would you chance your multi-million dollar investment, to recoup pennys on the dollar?

An overall 2009 year loss is a loss, any way you cut it.  Don't risk turning 2010 into a fiscal loss by trying to recoup 1% of this years loss in the coming 3 months.
What's graciously given to KC, is strong for the region as a whole.  Passion and benevolence will one day exeem towards all whom know true adoration.  We shall triumph to better the community as One within
THINK (ONE) KC.
Pendergast
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by Pendergast »

I think it was because of the STAR bonds that were used.  Some provision about having to continue construction once it had started?  I heard this secondhand though....maybe on here
the_shadow
Parking Garage
Parking Garage

Post by the_shadow »

no star bonds have been issued...everything has been on schlitterbahn's dime soo far.
NDTeve
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by NDTeve »

im2kull wrote: Why would they even bother?  That's what perplexes me.  Any year that something is under construction, and not operating, is a loss.  Its a given within the industry.  You don't make money untill it opens, so why push so hard to get it done this year, rather than sit back, take your losses, and get it done the right way for next year?
"You don't make money till it opens"...then why criticize them for opening?
"Don't go around saying the world owes you a living. The world owes you nothing. It was here first."
- Mark Twain
im2kull
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by im2kull »

NDTeve wrote: "You don't make money till it opens"...then why criticize them for opening?
Because if you read all of what I posted, you will see how I show that opening early..to make a few hundred thousand bucks, CAN harm their future in KC and their ability to make a few hundred MILLION bucks!

Think about it.
THINK (ONE) KC.
NDTeve
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by NDTeve »

Got it and understand. I guess I just don't see how it hurts them that much to open part of the park for a short time this year. They can make some money and they are obviously confident that people will like what they see/experience. "If this place has this....think of when it all opens" mentality. Plus they can educate the people that are there about the total completed project. I understand where you and Metro were coming from...just think there's also a different take.
"Don't go around saying the world owes you a living. The world owes you nothing. It was here first."
- Mark Twain
phxcat
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by phxcat »

What would be the operating costs?  You aren't taking advantage of economies of scale- it could well be that it will cost as much, if not more, money to open it for a couple of months than the money that will be taken in during that time, given the probability of low attendance for a partial park in a recession (though I guess attendence could be high enough to make it worth it just for being a new attraction.)
im2kull
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by im2kull »

NDTeve wrote: Got it and understand. I guess I just don't see how it hurts them that much to open part of the park for a short time this year. They can make some money and they are obviously confident that people will like what they see/experience. "If this place has this....think of when it all opens" mentality. Plus they can educate the people that are there about the total completed project. I understand where you and Metro were coming from...just think there's also a different take.
Got it and understand.

I guess the final outcome depends on what the customers think, and if they choose to return or not.  That's the multi-million dollar question, and the one only Schiltterbahn will know the answer to...in due time.
THINK (ONE) KC.
LenexatoKCMO
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by LenexatoKCMO »

Pendergast wrote: I think it was because of the STAR bonds that were used.   Some provision about having to continue construction once it had started?  I heard this secondhand though....maybe on here
Doubt it has anything to do with the Star bonds since the state hasn't done crap with that - but I do suspect that they are under some sort of contractual obligation to someone (bank? city/state?) to open this year and thus the hurry to get a phase done. 
cityscape
New York Life
New York Life

Post by cityscape »

Obviously this didn't open yet or we would have heard about it. 

Check out the blog to see where they are.  It looks like they are getting closer, but still VERY far away.

http://schlitterblogkc.blogspot.com/
davidc
Pad site
Pad site

Post by davidc »

If they have started filling the various attractions with water, they can't be far away. I'm sure there is a good deal of testing and no doubt a few bugs will be found - but I think it'll be open within a fortnight.
LenexatoKCMO
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by LenexatoKCMO »

Yeah, I imagine there is a lot of overhead keeping the water moving and healthy for use; not an expense you would want to keep up for weeks on end while the park is closed. 
AJoD
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by AJoD »

I saw somewhere today (and I don't know where if it wasn't here) that they were shooting for July 12 as opening day.  (Twitter maybe?)
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

AJoD wrote: I saw somewhere today (and I don't know where if it wasn't here) that they were shooting for July 12 as opening day.  (Twitter maybe?)
http://twitter.com/Schlitterbahn
KCMax
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by KCMax »

This just totally seems rushed.

KCK waterpark hopes to open within a week

?Our goal is to be open in the next seven days,? said marketing director Chris Ozimek.

But don?t get that swimsuit out just yet. Ozimek stressed that Schlitterbahn is ?hoping? to open by then.
SAVE THE PLAZA - FROM ZOMBIES! Find out how at:

http://twitter.com/TheKCRag
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

who's going to be the first to file a report?
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

DaveKCMO wrote: who's going to be the first to file a report?
No way dude, I'm not getting that TK drubbing.
http://downtownkcmo.blogspot.com

Tweeting live from Big 12 tournament @downtownkc