Schlitterbahn Waterpark and Resort

Find out what's going on in the Sunflower State's portions of the Metro here.
LenexatoKCMO
City Center Square
City Center Square

Re: Schlitterbahn Waterpark and Resort

Post by LenexatoKCMO »

knucklehead wrote: And now to bore you with one of my pet peeves. Slitterbaum has been granted  $250 million in TIF (they call it Star bonds in Kansas). There is absolutely no mention of these tax breaks in this story. Obviously the tax breaks must have been critical in the economics of this project - why else would they be granted? My understanding is the project is being built on Wyandotte County owned land. Another big subsidy. 

If this project was in KC, the Star's article would have had five paragraphs about the tax breaks. When the tax breaks are granted in Kansas - they are not even mentioned. It is a propaganda approach that the Star has been using for some time now.
If they were to be mentioned, it would be in a context that would deflate the heck out of your state-biased bubble.  The Star bonds were approved, but the state has not been able to sell them yet because of the financial markets.  Thus, the construction to date has been almost entirely privately financed/funded.  The State is going to have to move those bonds if the later phases of the project are going to get off the ground.  Kind of hard to bash taxpayer support for a project when most of that support has failed to materialize.

Go on back to your pointless rant by all means though . . .
blujdude87
Parking Garage
Parking Garage

Post by blujdude87 »

Anyone else been by there recently?  I wonder when the actual rides will start to go up! I'm deffinately going to be taking the kids there this summer, if it ever opens!  I went to the one in New Braufels a few years back, and they have water slides and tube things that actually go uphill, its so cool!  If they get this one anything like that one then it will be well worth our time.
pstokely
Colonnade
Colonnade

Post by pstokely »

Highlander wrote: I went to Wild West World in Wichita a couple of summers ago, another amusement park that rushed to open, and it was terrible.  No landscaping, half the rides were not in yet, only a couple of snack bars opened; an overall poor experience compared to World's of Fun in KC or even Frontier Village (?) in OKC.  No wonder they could not compete. 
These people have deeper pockets and more experience in the theme park business than Thomas Etheridge. At least enough to stay open for a full season
LenexatoKCMO
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by LenexatoKCMO »

Per the Star, Schlitt is now listing 300 jobs for hire. 
bobbyhawks
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by bobbyhawks »

blujdude87 wrote: Anyone else been by there recently?  I wonder when the actual rides will start to go up! I'm deffinately going to be taking the kids there this summer, if it ever opens!  I went to the one in New Braufels a few years back, and they have water slides and tube things that actually go uphill, its so cool!  If they get this one anything like that one then it will be well worth our time.
http://schlitterblogkc.blogspot.com/200 ... tical.html

and

http://schlitterblogkc.blogspot.com/200 ... i-see.html

Sounds like Phase 1 will be more water park than rides.  Mostly slides, rivers, wave pools, bars, and such.  The serious rides will come later.
DeadendLafayette
Pad site
Pad site

Post by DeadendLafayette »

I've passed this thread every time I've looked at the topics, and I always wonder: what are the most common euphamisms (if any) for this place so far? I've gotta guess that most of them begin with "shit", not that the place is shitty in any way. :)
MidtownCat
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by MidtownCat »

I gotta say, I can't wait for the Schlitt to open up.
blujdude87
Parking Garage
Parking Garage

Post by blujdude87 »

MidtownCat wrote: I gotta say, I can't wait for the Schlitt to open up.

You and me both!
Midtownkid
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by Midtownkid »

I was watching some 'top water parks' show on TV this weekend and I saw that one of the top water park rides of all times was this water-roller coaster-type-thing at Schlitterbahn.  (I am guessing at their original park?)  It was this water slide/raft ride that took you down hills and up hills.  It looked really cool!  Anyone know if KC's park will get one of those?  I had no idea Schlitterbahn was actually so cool.  The one on TV looked awesome.
AJoD
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by AJoD »

Midtownkid wrote: I had no idea Schlitterbahn was actually so cool.  The one on TV looked awesome.
Now, people in Texas tend to be fanatical about things Texas, but I must say, I've never heard enthusiasm for any part anywhere (save maybe the Disneys, but that's of a different order) that compares to what I've heard about the New Braunfels Shclitterbahn.  People go crazy for that place.
LenexatoKCMO
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by LenexatoKCMO »

Midtownkid wrote: I was watching some 'top water parks' show on TV this weekend and I saw that one of the top water park rides of all times was this water-roller coaster-type-thing at Schlitterbahn.  (I am guessing at their original park?)  It was this water slide/raft ride that took you down hills and up hills.  It looked really cool!  Anyone know if KC's park will get one of those? 
yes - but not in phase 1. 
im2kull
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by im2kull »

LenexatoKCMO wrote: yes - but not in phase 1. 
Yeah, They're pretty much a standard feature now...

...and if memory serves me right I mentioned this wayyyyy back when this was but on the drawing board.
What's graciously given to KC, is strong for the region as a whole.  Passion and benevolence will one day exeem towards all whom know true adoration.  We shall triumph to better the community as One within
THINK (ONE) KC.
cityscape
New York Life
New York Life

Post by cityscape »

Construction update:

Buildings going up, lot's of slides in place already.  They might just make it after all!

http://schlitterblogkc.blogspot.com/200 ... pdate.html

See the earlier update in May to see the slide progress.
cityscape
New York Life
New York Life

Post by cityscape »

See the new construction update here.  No way they have this done in two weeks.  Although I must admit they are MUCH farther along than I would have ever thought they'd get.

http://schlitterblogkc.blogspot.com/
LenexatoKCMO
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by LenexatoKCMO »

Man they are missing out on a heck of a week of business - 90+ heat and 200% humidity( :lol:) makes a waterpark sound pretty good. 
justin8216
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by justin8216 »

Is it open yet?
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

justin8216 wrote: Is it open yet?
Aren't you are KCK/Legends source?
http://downtownkcmo.blogspot.com

Tweeting live from Big 12 tournament @downtownkc
im2kull
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by im2kull »

justin8216 wrote: Is it open yet?
Aren't you our KCK/Legends source?
What's graciously given to KC, is strong for the region as a whole.  Passion and benevolence will one day exeem towards all whom know true adoration.  We shall triumph to better the community as One within
THINK (ONE) KC.
Pendergast
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by Pendergast »

I was onsite today.  It is not even close to being open, though progress is being made.  I'd say July 20th they could have some swimmers.
knucklehead
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by knucklehead »

A water park's week day business has to fall off a cliff when school opens.

If they open in late July that basically gives them a 30 day window.

I guess they can use 2009 as a shake down period, but it sounds like a big financial loss in 2009.