Status and future of the River Market area??

Issues concerning Downtown as described by the Downtown Council. River to 31st Street, I-35 to Bruce R. Watkins.
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Re: Status and future of the River Market area??

Post by FangKC »

PIEA approves River Market redevelopment plan

The major tenant is Icon Architecture and Icon Fabrication, which would occupy about half the space being redeveloped by Jason Swords.

The addresses of the buildings are 113 E. Fifth, and 500, 506 and 512 Grand. Historic tax credits are being sought, and PIEA has approved property tax abatements.

http://www.kansascity.com/2011/11/15/32 ... river.html
heatherkay
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by heatherkay »

There were a couple of guys with big rolled up plans looking at it yesterday. It's the old auto repair (brake repair?) place right there on the corner. Lots of windows and the building has good bones. Good access to the market, DT, and the interstate. And workshop space as well as office space, I would assume, for the fab shop. This is a good get.
KCLofts
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by KCLofts »

Icon currently has their offices above Boozefish and the fab shop is in the old Roasterie building around 26th & Summit or so. Great guys. I hope this project works out for them.
kboish
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by kboish »

couldn't remember if there was a thread yet on this place, but I heard the opera house place on 5th and Walnut is opening this weekend.
smh
Supporter

Post by smh »

kboish wrote:couldn't remember if there was a thread yet on this place, but I heard the opera house place on 5th and Walnut is opening this weekend.
The paper was gone from the windows last night and my first impression of the inside was that it looks like a great addition!!
kboish
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by kboish »

I believe it actually opens thursday. I was given a gift card for a place there, Classic Rock Coffee Co. http://classicrockcoffee.com/ (prepare to dislike website). I assume this is just one of their "tenants"(if thats the proper term) as they said they will be more of a venue for people to sell their wares. Interested to see how they've put it all together and what different kinds of tenants they have.
smh
Supporter

Post by smh »

kboish wrote:I believe it actually opens thursday. I was given a gift card for a place there, Classic Rock Coffee Co. http://classicrockcoffee.com/ (prepare to dislike website). I assume this is just one of their "tenants"(if thats the proper term) as they said they will be more of a venue for people to sell their wares. Interested to see how they've put it all together and what different kinds of tenants they have.
I noticed that Classic Rock's facebook page says they're out of Springfield. I hope it works out--they have nice looking (if slightly hard to understand) signage. I think I'm mostly just happy to see some activity on that corner! Finally!
kboish
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by kboish »

I agree. Hope there is more to come!
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

Application for license for restaurant business called Wine, Cheese & Chocolates at 500 Walnut. This must be part of the multi-tenant concept in the Opera House.

http://www.kcmo.org/idc/groups/neighbor ... censes.pdf
mean
Administrator
Administrator

Post by mean »

Really need something in the spot across Walnut from Opera House. Prime real estate, that.
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

FangKC wrote:Application for license for restaurant business called Wine, Cheese & Chocolates at 500 Walnut. This must be part of the multi-tenant concept in the Opera House.

so far i'm not impressed with what's going on inside the opera house. also, the excessive writing on the windows makes it look like a used car lot. what's next, wind dancers and bunting?
smh
Supporter

Post by smh »

DaveKCMO wrote:
FangKC wrote:Application for license for restaurant business called Wine, Cheese & Chocolates at 500 Walnut. This must be part of the multi-tenant concept in the Opera House.

so far i'm not impressed with what's going on inside the opera house. also, the excessive writing on the windows makes it look like a used car lot. what's next, wind dancers and bunting?
But Dave, where else in town can I get a Sloppy Joe with my espresso? Where?
mean
Administrator
Administrator

Post by mean »

DaveKCMO wrote:so far i'm not impressed with what's going on inside the opera house. also, the excessive writing on the windows makes it look like a used car lot. what's next, wind dancers and bunting?
Can't say as I've been super impressed, either, though that's just based on one visit.
ColumbusParkian
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by ColumbusParkian »

I go to Opera House quite often. It certainly doesn't blow me away, but they're friendly, and it's definitely a better place to work or have a meeting than City Market Coffeehouse. It is slowly getting better and better with each visit, but I wish they'd pick up the pace in getting everything that they plan in order.
mean
Administrator
Administrator

Post by mean »

Yeah, the people were very nice and chill. I just didn't love my tacos, sadly. I do plan to go back and try other stuff.
kboish
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by kboish »

I agree that it is underwhelming, but I had fairly lofty expectations. I've only had a breakfast sandwhich there and it was descent. I'll stop in for a coffee or drink on the way to work, always been good on that front.

I do like the set up as well, they just need to get their things in order. Waiting around for a liquor license always seems to be the hang-up...Once they have that they can start doing music and other things in the evenings, which should help.
tella100
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by tella100 »

DaveKCMO wrote:

As a 7 year resident of the City Market I want this place to do well, but yes the signage does look terrible.

I went to the wine / cheese / chocolate part of the complex to pick up some deserts for the GF last weekend and the guy was very nice and spoke about giving residents a flat 10% off.

A few weeks earlier we stopped in for lunch and left after finding they had no vegetarian / vegan items on the menu, kinda surprising and frustrating as they are right across from the City Market. They did offer to look around the kitchen and see what they could put together. A few veggie items should be on every menu, much less a place in the heart of fresh produce in the city, and not require the patron to have to construct a meal on their own and suggest it to the kitchen.

We will be back, hopefully they catch on.
ColumbusParkian
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by ColumbusParkian »

The Wine, Cheese and Chocolate guy has told me that soon they will be offering Glace ice cream. Not just in pints, but a full on little ice cream shop for cups and cones. Hopefully it's true, as that will draw a TON of traffic to the spot!
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

ColumbusParkian wrote:The Wine, Cheese and Chocolate guy has told me that soon they will be offering Glace ice cream. Not just in pints, but a full on little ice cream shop for cups and cones. Hopefully it's true, as that will draw a TON of traffic to the spot!
i'll believe that when i see it.
kboish
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by kboish »

very cool!

they already offer a ton of Elbow chocolates in there, so I don't see why not.