Downtown Baseball Stadium

Issues concerning Downtown as described by the Downtown Council. River to 31st Street, I-35 to Bruce R. Watkins.
tat2kc
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Re: Downtown Baseball Stadium

Post by tat2kc »

Man, the holiday cheer is overwhelming today!!!  :P
Are you sure we're talking about the same God here, because yours sounds kind of like a dick.
staubio
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by staubio »

tat2kc wrote: Man, the holiday cheer is overwhelming today!!!  :P

:lol:
schugg
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by schugg »

beautyfromashes wrote: Eliminate emoticons and that takes care of Schugg.  I don't thing he can read or write.
what the fuck have i done to you to write this shit,  i can see staubio because he is a little bitch but what have i said to you?
schugg
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by schugg »

staubio wrote: Panic is the LEAST of my concerns in this regard -- he has plenty of useful things to say.

Schugg, on the other hand....
I thought we were done with eachother since that other thread,  but no.    you had to start some shit. i hope i see your bitch ass on your bike. 
schugg
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by schugg »

beautyfromashes wrote: Eliminate emoticons and that takes care of Schugg.  I don't thing he can read or write.
i can read and write just fine...  and i can spell  ''think''  cocksuckers!
schugg
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by schugg »

Now I enjoy reading what everyone has to say here,  sometimes I disagree and sometimes I totally agree then throw in my little short comments. It does not mean that I am a moron, I'm just not trying to take over the board like some of you do. I give my input and occasionally upload pics. this is what this forum wants, so I'm going to be a part of it. If you dont like it use the ignore option, that's what it is for...........all you queens.
Last edited by schugg on Wed Nov 23, 2005 5:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
aknowledgeableperson
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by aknowledgeableperson »

Boognish wrote: What happened with the cancelled summit was nothing short of blackballing, support this plan or no. They are trying to flex what meager political muscle they have, without realizing that there aren't really any opposition players yet. If they want to get nasty because they can't get enough KC politicos to sponsor their party for any opposition to be heard, then let's let Topeka into the discussion and see how quickly things turn about. And without the massive tax burden of having the city tackle it itself.
The Jackson County Leg. did not support the DT stadium.  Mayor Barnes did not support the DT stadium.  Nobody on the KC council has spoken out recently for the stadium (previously only one voice).  It is the DT stadium that has meager (really none) political muscle or support.  No blackball, just very little support for a DT stadium.  And at this time there appears to be absolutely no interest in Kansas.
I may be right.  I may be wrong.  But there is a lot of gray area in-between.
shaffe
Penntower
Penntower

Post by shaffe »

aknowledgeableperson wrote: The Jackson County Leg. did not support the DT stadium.  Mayor Barnes did not support the DT stadium.  Nobody on the KC council has spoken out recently for the stadium (previously only one voice).  It is the DT stadium that has meager (really none) political muscle or support.  No blackball, just very little support for a DT stadium.  And at this time there appears to be absolutely no interest in Kansas.
could you kindly point me to some quotes from kay barnes on this subject?  just because the jackson county legislature is too stupid to realize what they're doing, that doesn't make it right. 
aknowledgeableperson
City Center Square
City Center Square

Shaffe, here you go.
Jackson County won’t give money

By DEANN SMITH

The Kansas City Star

No county funds will help build a downtown ballpark for the Royals, the Jackson County Legislature said Monday.

And in other bad news for downtown stadium supporters, Mayor Kay Barnes helped kill a summit on the issue.

Moving to nip the campaign for a downtown ballpark, the Legislature voted unanimously to approve a resolution stating the county’s commitment to keep major-league baseball in Kansas City at county-owned Kauffman Stadium. The resolution said county funds for the Royals would be spent only at Kauffman, with legislators saying they were against abandoning Kauffman.

“The Jackson County Legislature does not support (a downtown ballpark) in any way, shape or form,â€
Last edited by aknowledgeableperson on Thu Nov 24, 2005 6:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
aknowledgeableperson
City Center Square
City Center Square

Here are some more.  And I guess Fairfield has spoken recently on the subject.

Taxpayers' share of hefty Arrowhead bill unclear VIDEO

By RANDY COVITZ and DEANN SMITH

The Kansas City Star

Jackson County Executive Katheryn Shields could not be reached for comment, but Mayor Kay Barnes said the area’s leaders need to find creative approaches to make the rolling roof a reality because it would be an investment for the entire region.

“This announcement gives even greater impetus to the effort by Jackson County to finalize negotiations with both the Chiefs and Royals so that county residents can vote for a major renovation of the Truman Sports Complex,â€
aknowledgeableperson
City Center Square
City Center Square

Michael® wrote: This has nothing to do with $$; KC has the money for a downtown stadium. In the end we'll pay just as much for ANY fix as we will a new stadium - guaranteed.
What is your proposal on financing a DT stadium?  Money from where?  KCMO debt levels are already at a high point.  That is why the City Auditor has issued warnings in the past.

Cost to build new - around $400M to $500M.
Cost to rehab - around $245M.
Interest costs would be greater with the $400M expenditure than the $245M.  So not only spending $155M to $255M for a DT stadium, the interest costs per year would be 35% to 100% more.  Unless, of course, more private money is put into a new stadium.
KansasCityChiefs
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by KansasCityChiefs »

Personally, I think Kauffman is a beautiful stadium. Also with a downtown stadium you won't get near the amount of parking there is at Truman.
Kansas City, Bleeding red since 1963.
Tosspot
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by Tosspot »

KansasCityChiefs wrote: Also with a downtown stadium you won't get near the amount of parking there is at Truman.
That's the whole point.

photoblog. 

until further notice i will routinely point out spelling errors committed by any here whom i frequently do battle wit
doogieslap
Pad site
Pad site

Post by doogieslap »

"What's best for keeping baseball here long term? Keeping the fans happy and coming to the games - Kaufmann doesn't get it done. That is FACT."

That's funny, considering that when I do go to games at Kauffman, I have a good time.  It's the team that's not getting it done.  That is fact.
aknowledgeableperson
City Center Square
City Center Square

Well, Michael, even a new stadium will have to have some maintenance, upkeep, upgrade, etc. after 10 years of operation.  So TSC will be no different than a DT stadium.  If nothing is done during those years then there will be some problems.

For at least two days a week and on holidays people living in Lees' Summit, Blue Springs, Raytown, and Independence (total which have more residents than DT) will be closer to TSC than to DT.  And most people, if they worked DT, would have to go home first to the suburbs to get the family anyway.

For you TSC may be an obsolete location but for the majority of Jackson County residents it is in the right place.

Whether or not the stadium is DT or at TSC a big majority of fans will have to drive.  What difference is it for us to go to a restaurant close to home and drive to either location and then drive back home afterwards.  None, except that TSC is more convienent than DT.

You just want to line the pockets of Copaken and other people who have investment DT.  Doubt if Copaken would be pushing for a stadium if he didn't have a huge financial interest DT.
kcdcchef
The Quiet Chair
The Quiet Chair

Post by kcdcchef »

KansasCityChiefs wrote: Personally, I think Kauffman is a beautiful stadium. Also with a downtown stadium you won't get near the amount of parking there is at Truman.
you are a smart man. nice post.
schugg wrote: i can read and write just fine... and i can spell ''think'' cocksuckers!
yeah schugg, he is a real prize winner.
MU FINISHED THE YEAR RANKED HIGHER IN HOOPS AND FOOTBALL THAN THE KAY U JAYDORKS. UP YOURS KAY U JAYDORK FANS!!!! :D :D :D :D :D
skim82
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by skim82 »

I can't believe you guys think that renovating is the best option...

I don't really care if people think the K is beautiful or not... that is not what we should be focusing on. 
I guess all the supporters can put their money where their mouth is and pass it in April... I really doubt it, but like I saiid, don't come bitchin to KS, or Platte, Wyandotte, Clay, after you f up again..
kcdcchef
The Quiet Chair
The Quiet Chair

Post by kcdcchef »

skim82 wrote:

I don't really care if people think the K is beautiful or not... that is not what we should be focusing on. 

i agree, we should just abandon a perfectly great stadium, solely based on location, to build it in the perfect location, and build a lifeless piece of shit like jacobs, rogers centre, that piece of shit the phillies play in, or my favorite new dump, coors.
MU FINISHED THE YEAR RANKED HIGHER IN HOOPS AND FOOTBALL THAN THE KAY U JAYDORKS. UP YOURS KAY U JAYDORK FANS!!!! :D :D :D :D :D
KCMax
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by KCMax »

Pac Bell and PNC Park are really nice. I'm not sure you can get more lifeless than the K on a Wednesday night with 9,000 fans.
SAVE THE PLAZA - FROM ZOMBIES! Find out how at:

http://twitter.com/TheKCRag
kcdcchef
The Quiet Chair
The Quiet Chair

Post by kcdcchef »

i thought the pirates game i was at at the end of september, i am thinking the announced attendance was less than 13k, was pretty lifeless.