Sprint Center's necessity?

Come here for discussion about the new downtown entertainment district.

If the Sprint Center doesn't have an NBA/NHL tenant by 2009, was it a waste of money?

Yes
16%
No
84%

Total votes: 110

aknowledgeableperson
City Center Square
City Center Square

Re: Sprint Center's necessity?

Post by aknowledgeableperson »

Kard wrote: Right.  So when Wikipedia says the elephant population of Africa has tripled in recent years, then that's fact, right?
You would have to consider the source.  I would not imagine that Wiki has the absolute truth on a subject since entries are not monitored for accuracy.  But LIEweke is suppose to be an authority on the matter, or at least was presented as such.
I may be right.  I may be wrong.  But there is a lot of gray area in-between.
aknowledgeableperson
City Center Square
City Center Square

KCPowercat wrote: What did you tell me about opinion and not having to say "this is my opinion" before the statement?
Was his statement an opinion, which it might have been?  Or was it meant to be treated like a factual statement in order to decieve voters to vote for an arena?
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

You could take it either way...seems to be a bit slanderous to call somebody a liar though..especially behind a fake screen name.
http://downtownkcmo.blogspot.com

Tweeting live from Big 12 tournament @downtownkc
aknowledgeableperson
City Center Square
City Center Square

Boy, are you touchy tonite.  Just because there were a few keystroke errors. :oops: :wink:

His job is to sell.  And sell he does.  In order to do that he may stretch the truth, tell a little white lie, not tell the whole truth, and so on.  He did make a statement and that statement was made to influence voters.  Of course, if a team does not come to KC he can hide and publish a statement that it is not a world class facility and/or the economic streams were not there.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

His statement never said when the team would get "here".  It certaintly never promised a team as soon as the doors opened.

eliphar17
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by eliphar17 »

aknowledgeableperson wrote: I guess that KC will not have a world-class facility after all.  Or the Sprint Center will not create the economic streams for a NBA or NHL team since AEG will siphon off the revenues the team would need.
I'm sure that "economic streams" refers not to the arena itself but to area disposable income and corporate base.
aknowledgeableperson
City Center Square
City Center Square

Revenue streams would be from the arena.  Such as suites, advertising, concessions, etc. 
Sparty
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by Sparty »

The quote that you brought up is "economic streams."  That is much different than "revenue streams."  You can't just change people's quotes to make your argument work.  Do you work for the Star?  I'm not an economist, but I would guess that "economic streams" has to do with an economy.  That would be more than just one venture such as the Sprint Center.  The money generated from that could be a "revenue stream."  When I hear talk of an economy, I'm thinking about the regional or national economy.  I think when "economic streams" is mentioned, then he would be talking about more than how much money is generated by cotton-candy sales.  He would be talking about something larger than that...such as previously stated...disposable income and corporate base.
aknowledgeableperson
City Center Square
City Center Square

Don't read too much into the difference between the words "economic" and "revenue" in this instance.  Lieweke is talking about the facility itself and revenue floating to the team, whether from the revenue from inside the arena (suites, advertising, concessions) or from outside (sponsorships, co-promotions, radio and TV rights).  You could have a "world class facility" to play in but if the team only has revenue from ticket sales and no other economic stream of revenue then it is very likely a team would not use the facility.
So in this instance the words are interchangable.
Or look at it from this angle.  KCMO is building the arena and can have some control over some revenue streams but has very little, if any, control over the area's disposable income or corporate base.  KCMO can create the arena but cannot create disposable income or a corporate base.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

AKP is good...or at least he thinks he's good.  Everyone is free to discuss their opinion, but only AKP's opinion of what somebody else's quotes mean is the correct one.  Good show.

Tosspot
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by Tosspot »

May everyone feel free to discuss my opinions.

photoblog. 

until further notice i will routinely point out spelling errors committed by any here whom i frequently do battle wit
Sparty
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by Sparty »

aknowledgeableperson wrote: Don't read too much into the difference between the words "economic" and "revenue" in this instance.  Lieweke is talking about the facility itself and revenue floating to the team, whether from the revenue from inside the arena (suites, advertising, concessions) or from outside (sponsorships, co-promotions, radio and TV rights).  You could have a "world class facility" to play in but if the team only has revenue from ticket sales and no other economic stream of revenue then it is very likely a team would not use the facility.
So in this instance the words are interchangable.
Or look at it from this angle.  KCMO is building the arena and can have some control over some revenue streams but has very little, if any, control over the area's disposable income or corporate base.  KCMO can create the arena but cannot create disposable income or a corporate base.
whatever.  :roll:

Just change a few words that don't have the same meaning, and the sentence will mean the same thing.  I bet your English teacher loved you.  Just change whatever you please so that you can try to come up with a better argument.
aknowledgeableperson
City Center Square
City Center Square

Economics has dual meanings.  One meaning is as a singular noun.  The second meaning is a plural noun which could be used as "the economics of running a business" and is the financial element of something.

http://encarta.msn.com/dictionary_/economics.html

or you can take the word "economic", which has more than one meaning.

http://encarta.msn.com/dictionary_/economic.html
49r
Colonnade
Colonnade

Post by 49r »

semantics |s?mantiks|
plural noun [usu. treated as sing. ]

the branch of linguistics and logic concerned with meaning. There are a number of branches and subbranches of semantics, including formal semantics, which studies the logical aspects of meaning, such as sense, reference, implication, and logical form, lexical semantics, which studies word meanings and word relations, and conceptual semantics, which studies the cognitive structure of meaning. • the meaning of a word, phrase, sentence, or text : such quibbling over semantics may seem petty stuff.
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

didn't know where else to put this tidbit from wayne cauthen's newsletter:
Sprint Center ranks in top 30 spot among world arena venues
POLLSTAR, the entertainment industry’s leading trade magazine, maintains the world's largest database of international concert tour information. In the recently released POLLSTAR 2008 Mid Year Special Edition, Sprint Center earned the No. 30 spot among the Top 100 Worldwide Arena Venues. Of these top spots, the Sprint Center ranked No. 14 of arenas in cities in the United States, outranking arenas in Dallas, Washington, D.C., Miami, Denver and Omaha, Neb. In addition, 30 of the Top 100 Worldwide Tours will make an appearance at Sprint Center during its inaugural year. The Sprint Center opened in October 2007 and has welcomed more than 1.1 million guests at 117 events through July 20.
Midtownkid
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by Midtownkid »

Cool stuff.  BTW, I noticed on Wikipedia that the American Idol tryouts have been moved to KEMPER.  Anyone know why?  This is sad as we could have showcased the sprint center/P+L.  It also sucks because I bet a lot of out of town people will be coming in for this and instead of enjoying downtown, they will be stuck in the bottoms  #-o  I'm sure they will still show shots of downtown and the Plaza tho.
kcmokid
Pad site
Pad site

Post by kcmokid »

Midtownkid wrote: Cool stuff.  BTW, I noticed on Wikipedia that the American Idol tryouts have been moved to KEMPER.  Anyone know why?  This is sad as we could have showcased the sprint center/P+L.  It also sucks because I bet a lot of out of town people will be coming in for this and instead of enjoying downtown, they will be stuck in the bottoms  #-o  I'm sure they will still show shots of downtown and the Plaza though.
Here is more info on the auditions:
http://www.americanidol.com/auditions/s ... city/info/

Sad it is down at Kemper.  Perhaps they need the large parking lot to line people up?  Not like we've thought twice about closing down Grand, etc. for large events in the past though.  Maybe with it being on a weekday.
Beltonhawk
New York Life
New York Life

Post by Beltonhawk »

I heard it had to do with AT&T - a major Idol sponsor - not wanting tryouts to be at the "Sprint" Center.
jimb
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by jimb »

Beltonhawk wrote: I heard it had to do with AT&T - a major Idol sponsor - not wanting tryouts to be at the "Sprint" Center.
But didn't they have them at Omaha's Qwest Center last year?

Given how early the queue starts and how many folks show up for these things, I would imagine Kemper was chosen for easier crowd control.
Lenexan
Parking Garage
Parking Garage

Post by Lenexan »

Old thread but I think it was clearly necessary, just poorly built.