Cauthen Speaks

KC topics that don't fit anywhere else.
loftguy
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Re: Cauthen Speaks

Post by loftguy »

KCPowercat wrote: wow.  glad funk could give us such specifics on his decision. 

where is the recall petition? i will now gladly sign it...i was trying to give funk a chance but this move does it for me.
My sentiments exactly. #-o
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

it's as if he's the only person qualified to do the job (which he's not)!
mean
Administrator
Administrator

Post by mean »

Good luck with that recall...  :lol:

What if he hires another black guy?
DaveKCMO wrote: it's as if he's the only person qualified to do the job (which he's not)!
There has even been debate about whether Cauthen was qualified to begin with. I think he probably was--he seem to have done a decent enough job--but there were questions at the time he was hired.

I don't really have a problem with Funk cleaning house, as long as he gets good people in.
"It is not to my good friend's heresy that I impute his honesty. On the contrary, 'tis his honesty that has brought upon him the character of heretic." -- Ben Franklin
kcjak
Penntower
Penntower

Post by kcjak »

I think we all know Funk will dodge giving any specific reasons for this...he'll just say that the city is now going the way of fiscal responsibility and Mr Cauthen was hired under a different administration that didn't share those goals.

If there are any examples for this, they'll have to leak out through a disgruntled City Hall employee or Mr Cauthen.  Wonder what would've happened if Wayne had been hispanic.
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Post by GRID »

KCMax wrote: Yea Kard, you don't have a brain!
What? You don’t find it ironic?…For some reason that does not surprise me.
LenexatoKCMO
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by LenexatoKCMO »

DaveKCMO wrote: it's as if he's the only person qualified to do the job (which he's not)!
Thousands of people could "do the job".  That is not the point.  The point is that you can't just fire such a high profile, well liked, civil employee without a better explanation than "I didn't like working with the guy".  If Funk had a half an ounce of political accumen, he would have at least leaked some story of cuathen fittering away money or taking innapropriate junkets on the taxpayer dime.  
zonk
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by zonk »

mean wrote: Good luck with that recall...  :lol:

What if he hires another black guy?

There has even been debate about whether Cauthen was qualified to begin with. I think he probably was--he seem to have done a decent enough job--but there were questions at the time he was hired.

I don't really have a problem with Funk cleaning house, as long as he gets good people in.
Sounds like someone drank the Funky Kool-Aid.  
mean
Administrator
Administrator

Post by mean »

Or someone drank the Tony Kool-Aid.
"It is not to my good friend's heresy that I impute his honesty. On the contrary, 'tis his honesty that has brought upon him the character of heretic." -- Ben Franklin
Czar
New York Life
New York Life

Post by Czar »

Funkhouser says he's 'not seeking to fire Wayne Cauthen'

http://www.bizjournals.com/kansascity/s ... aily9.html

Was Funky lying?
mean
Administrator
Administrator

Post by mean »

I doubt it. I don't see any reason to think there's anything untoward going on. He made it pretty clear he wanted to give it some time and see how things worked with Cauthen, but everyone knew he was the most likely candidate to get rid of him. I hoped and really thought they'd make things work out, but I don't have City Hall bugged, so I dunno what's going on there. Maybe we'll get someone better?

I really can't believe the degree to which people overreact to this stuff.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

people have seen all the positives Cauthen has done in the city...and after seeing city manager after city manager do next to nothing, it was refreshing to see a city manager getting things done...now we have the auditor coming in with a grudge before he even took office and got rid of him....with no explanation except "i couldn't work with him".  Sorry that doesn't fly with me and probably with a lot of voters.

Where is the city council in this...did they have the same feelings or are all the rookie councilpersons just following the mayor's lead?  I'd like to hear from them either in support or against Funk's decision today...it seemed to come out as more of just his decision, not a decision by the entire council.

by the time we find a new CM and find out if he/she is any good, Funk's first term will be over (and hopefully Funk will be over)....then we may have lost a quality CM to a do-nothing CM...why throw away a known commodity that has proven to be a good leader and bring in a breath of fresh air to KCMO city hall for an unknown?
http://downtownkcmo.blogspot.com

Tweeting live from Big 12 tournament @downtownkc
Czar
New York Life
New York Life

Post by Czar »

Send our mayor a piece of your mind at mayor@kcmo.org  ....  The phones are ringing off the hook on the 29th floor.  FUNK HAS LOST ALL CREDIBILITY WITH COUNCIL.  HE DID NOT INFORM THEM.... THEY ARE SERIOUSLY PISSED. 

THE FUNK WONT EVEN BE ABLE TO PASS A FART IN COUNCIL SESSIONS FROM  NOW ON.....
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

Looks like the Council will block any effort by Funkhouser anyway.
There is no fifth destination.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

Now hearing (on 9 from Councilman Riley) that the council is all blindsided by this and some thought they were close to working a new deal....that makes it even worse. 

This is ridiculous and people that support this type of action confuse me....isn't the council supposed to work together with the mayor for the best of the city....not one member of this group using their power to out people they don't "get along with"?

Mean...I'd love to hear your reasoning behind supporting a move such as this.
http://downtownkcmo.blogspot.com

Tweeting live from Big 12 tournament @downtownkc
ComandanteCero
One Park Place
One Park Place

Post by ComandanteCero »

If he wants to get rid of Cauthen he should go the "firing" route, which requires debate and agreement with the majority of the council (6 votes), not this unilateral back door decision.

Especially considering this city manager was well liked, seems to know his stuff and was apparently doing a good job.
KC Region is all part of the same animal regardless of state and county lines.
Think on the Regional scale.
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Post by GRID »

mean wrote: But it's stupid to get all up in arms about it before we know who the next CM will be.
you never cease to amaze me
beautyfromashes
One Park Place
One Park Place

Post by beautyfromashes »

No kidding!  It's going to take them MONTHS to even find a list of possible replacements, months to hire the 'right' one and months more to get him up to speed.   Who will act as temporary city manager when Cauthen is gone?  Can the council just keep him as a 'temporary' until a new person is found and then stall on a new contract or agreement on a replacement?
Czar
New York Life
New York Life

Post by Czar »

So much for "transparent" government and his so-called #1 priority of having a good relationship with Council..  If Funk loses this battle then he is sooo done.
WoodDraw
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by WoodDraw »

What is the process for hiring a new city manager?

I have serious issues with this decision.  Funkhouser seems lost without any clear priorities or a map towards implementing them.  I want to read my on this before I comment too much, but so far I don't see any justification for this move.
zonk
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by zonk »

KCPowercat wrote: people have seen all the positives Cauthen has done in the city...and after seeing city manager after city manager do next to nothing, it was refreshing to see a city manager getting things done...now we have the auditor coming in with a grudge before he even took office and got rid of him....with no explanation except "i couldn't work with him".  Sorry that doesn't fly with me and probably with a lot of voters.

Where is the city council in this...did they have the same feelings or are all the rookie councilpersons just following the mayor's lead?  I'd like to hear from them either in support or against Funk's decision today...it seemed to come out as more of just his decision, not a decision by the entire council.

by the time we find a new CM and find out if he/she is any good, Funk's first term will be over (and hopefully Funk will be over)....then we may have lost a quality CM to a do-nothing CM...why throw away a known commodity that has proven to be a good leader and bring in a breath of fresh air to KCMO city hall for an unknown?
KCP...nicely said.

I am FLABERGASTED by this.  I've tried to give FUNKY the benefit, but COME ON.  Trying to eliminate the one individual in CH that is performing above and beyond is unacceptable.  WC was key to turning around the KCI renovation.  He was key to the downtown revitalizaiton.  I've got to say that most of my posts on the FORUM have been anti-FUNK, but I've tried to give him/her the benefit of the doubt.  This has affirmed my stance that FUCKY is the worst mayor in KC history.  I've been a strong WC supporter, considering all the BS that has been slinged his way.  But this is beyond reason and will significantly hurt the City. 

When is everyone going to stop drinking the FUNK kool-aid and realize this.....I hope it's not too late.