Buying a Bike

New to downtown life? Have questions? Urban living expert, come share your thoughts.
kard
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: Buying a Bike

Post by kard »

Tosspot wrote: My Schwinn from the Mission Target is already misaligned with its front wheel. I'm assuming that's from plowing through a nasty pothole I didn't see coming on Westport Road.
The wheel is actually bent, right?  It's not just needing to be re-set in the fork?  Take it off and put it back on.
Haikus are easy
But sometimes they don't make sense
Refrigerator
Tosspot
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by Tosspot »

Eh, I guess I'll have to go have a look. I don't believe the wheel is bent, it's just somehow misaligned with the handlebars.

photoblog. 

until further notice i will routinely point out spelling errors committed by any here whom i frequently do battle wit
staubio
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by staubio »

Tosspot wrote: Eh, I guess I'll have to go have a look. I don't believe the wheel is bent, it's just somehow misaligned with the handlebars.
OH!  You mean that when your handlebars are straight, your wheel is going off in one direction or the other?  That is an easy fix.  This stuff is typical because department store employees are building these things in their spare time.

This is an easy fix.
Tosspot
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by Tosspot »

staubio wrote: OH!  You mean that when your handlebars are straight, your wheel is going off in one direction or the other?  That is an easy fix.  This stuff is typical because department store employees are building these things in their spare time.

This is an easy fix.
Yeah, that's it. Glad it's not gonna break the bank. To drive on the bike in a straight path I have to have the handle bars tilted sideways just a tad.

photoblog. 

until further notice i will routinely point out spelling errors committed by any here whom i frequently do battle wit
kard
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by kard »

Tosspot wrote: Yeah, that's it. Glad it's not gonna break the bank. To drive on the bike in a straight path I have to have the handle bars tilted sideways just a tad.
I suppose you have a quick release wheel?  Take the wheel off and put it back on.

http://www.jimlangley.net/wrench/quickr ... ained.html
Haikus are easy
Refrigerator
staubio
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by staubio »

It is actually the stem.  Check the thingy that connects out to your handlebars.  It should have a couple of bolts at the spot closest to you.  That connects to the "steerer tube" which is part of the fork, or the thingy that holds the front wheel.  The stem basically clamps onto that tube and it can slip if not tightened.  Loosen the bolts, hold the wheel straight and then move the bars straight.  The stem should pivot along the steerer tube.  Once lined up, tighten it down and it is as good as new.
kc-vino
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by kc-vino »

Went into Rivermarket Cycling and was impressed with the store but the service seemed real slack.  I showed up there at 5:45 (15 minutes before they closed) and everybody gave me looks like "not another ass hole with questions coming right before we close".  Obviously nobody was commissioned their. 

But I will probably return because they had some good options. Staubio, I might need your expert opinion on some of these models.  Not looking for anything flash just something to dick around on a couple days per week after work, or on weekends.
Put your money where your mouth is...live downtown.  Get out of the car and walk, shop, and play in the city.  Don't bring a suburban attitude/lifestyle to the city, rather be apart of changing the urban fabric for the better.
staubio
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by staubio »

kc-vino wrote: Went into Rivermarket Cycling and was impressed with the store but the service seemed real slack.  I showed up there at 5:45 (15 minutes before they closed) and everybody gave me looks like "not another ass hole with questions coming right before we close".  Obviously nobody was commissioned their. 

But I will probably return because they had some good options. Staubio, I might need your expert opinion on some of these models.  Not looking for anything flash just something to dick around on a couple days per week after work, or on weekends.
No problem.  Give me a call or an IM and I'll walk over there with ya.
Moniker
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by Moniker »

I hate bicycles. Not neccessarily because I hate bicycling, but there is no way in hell any of you can tell me the slim ass seat is comfortable on your undercarriage or arse.
Tosspot
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by Tosspot »

Moniker wrote: I hate bicycles. Not neccessarily because I hate bicycling, but there is no way in hell any of you can tell me the slim ass seat is comfortable on your undercarriage or arse.
My arse ached for the first couple of weeks, but now no longer. My arse muscles were strengthened, making them more grabbable for the right type of person.

photoblog. 

beccanator
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by beccanator »

Moniker wrote: I hate bicycles. Not necessarily because I hate bicycling, but there is no way in hell any of you can tell me the slim ass seat is comfortable on your undercarriage or arse.
Ah, the marvels of spandex shorts with built-in padding.  :lol:

I too have difficulty wrapping my mind around the postulate that a smaller seat, i.e. less coverage, causes less irritation to one's bum. Eh, what ever is most comfortable for the individual, I say (but only in reference to bike seats, not as a generalization to be applied to society  :D)
A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds. ~Ralph Waldo Emerson
staubio
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by staubio »

Moniker wrote: I hate bicycles. Not neccessarily because I hate bicycling, but there is no way in hell any of you can tell me the slim ass seat is comfortable on your undercarriage or arse.
It really is about having a happy medium.  Some people think a big seat would be more comfortable but a bigger seat means more chafing and more pressure in the wrong places.  If you are serious about cycling, you try a few seats through the years until you arrive upon the one you really like and are comfortable with.  I've found that all but the most spartan light-weight seats are comfortable.

My personal favorite saddles: WTB and Selle Italia
Moniker
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by Moniker »

Tosspot wrote: My arse ached for the first couple of weeks, but now no longer. My arse muscles were strengthened, making them more grabbable for the right type of person.
Call me funny, but now I am picturing you clutching the seat in a pair of spandex with your ass cheeks as you ride.
Tosspot
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by Tosspot »

I've had my bicycle I think for over a month now, and it's practically unrideable. The chain won't stay fixed on the spoke things. My mom, who used to be into bicycles and fitness before she let herself go, says that this is common with new bikes after a kind of "break-in" period, and that I need to go to a bike shop and get the thing tuned up. Does this sound about right, or do I just have a hoopty-ass cheap bicycle?

photoblog. 

kard
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by kard »

Yeah.  You need to get the cables tightened up a bit.
Haikus are easy
Refrigerator
lock+load
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by lock+load »

I've had the chain come off on my bike a couple times in the four months I've had it as well.  I've taken it back to river market cyclery each time and had it fixed. Surely it isn't hard to fix yourself, I'm just not that smart :)
kard
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by kard »

?

Like it comes off the small gear on to the "place the pedals go through the frame?"

Just shift to a big cog and move the pedals.  It should catch and get back on there.

I hope that's not what you mean.  :)
Haikus are easy
Refrigerator
lock+load
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by lock+load »

Last time it was between the small gear and the frame (not a bike expert, so my explanation my not be correct).  The pedals wouldn't move, and I didn't want to force it for fear of breaking something.
Tosspot
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by Tosspot »

In my case, the pedals move but the bike doesn't go anywhere. Though it seems I can get by in the near term by just riding in a single gear and not shifting, but that can be a pain.

photoblog. 

lock+load
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by lock+load »

Tosspot wrote: In my case, the pedals move but the bike doesn't go anywhere. Though it seems I can get by in the near term by just riding in a single gear and not shifting, but that can be a pain.
That's how mine was the first time the chain came off.  I guess I need to learn more about how the thing works.