Tired of Urban Living??????????

New to downtown life? Have questions? Urban living expert, come share your thoughts.
Slappy the Wang
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Re: Tired of Urban Living??????????

Post by Slappy the Wang »

staubio wrote: live densely
That's funny for a variety of reasons.
Be green or go Broke Tryin'
staubio
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by staubio »

Slappy the Wang wrote: That's funny for a variety of reasons.
Taken out of context sure.  Have a ball.  You sure are contributing a lot to the forum.

What is with the new army of peope that have nothing new or intelligent to say on this forum?
aknowledgeableperson
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by aknowledgeableperson »

Just got through reading KCPussycat's thread on being tired of suburban living.  He has an incorrect assumption that what I posted to start this thread was made up.  It was not.  Just because I am retired does not mean that I just sit at home.  I get out and circulate, maybe more now than when I worked since I have more time to do so.  And when I circulate I meet a wide variety of people, more than just barhopping DT. 

As an election judge I get to talk to many people.
As a substitute teacher I meet many others.
As a blood doner (platelets so that is every two weeks) I meet others.
At the lake place there are many people from many different places.
My fellow retirees meet once a month for breakfast, lunch, or dinner.

Just a few examples of meeting others and sharing ideas and learning from others.  You can learn a lot when you meet others who may not think like you, and it also provides tolerance.
I may be right.  I may be wrong.  But there is a lot of gray area in-between.
nota
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by nota »

Many of them here don't understand that age and treachery trumps youth and beauty every time :lol: :lol: :lol:
aknowledgeableperson
City Center Square
City Center Square

From KC Star this morning.

However, Shafer concluded it was time to move out of the loft she rented downtown, even though it was a convenient five-minute walk from her office. Schlepping groceries from the parking garage to her apartment grew tiresome. And the interesting urban lifestyle she envisioned just wasn’t happening.
“Downtown felt deserted at night,â€
chrizow
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by chrizow »

i can understand that. 

i'd love to have a single-family home near downtown, like in westside.  perhaps a narrow, ultra-modern one.  that way i can have the garage and backyard and back porch and whatever. 

it sounds like these people in the article were no longer in the market for the "lock up and leave" lifestyle.  they want to own land and have some space.  more power to them.  luckily, more urban-minded people will just replace them in their former loft.
lock+load
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by lock+load »

Anyone that derives their pleasure from planting bushes is not going to enjoy life downtown.  Who ever said all young people wanted to live downtown?  No one here did.
aknowledgeableperson
City Center Square
City Center Square

^^^
Just the ones for a downtown stadium. 
kcdcchef
The Quiet Chair
The Quiet Chair

Post by kcdcchef »

lock&load wrote: Anyone that derives their pleasure from planting bushes is not going to enjoy life downtown.  Who ever said all young people wanted to live downtown?  No one here did.
i know i personally never said ALL young people want to live downtown, however, the trend for younger twenty somethings is to live urban, and the ones i know who could not swing dt or midtown, are equally as happy living in hyde park, or southmoreland, where, they get garages and big kitchens, yet still live urban.

there. take that akp.
MU FINISHED THE YEAR RANKED HIGHER IN HOOPS AND FOOTBALL THAN THE KAY U JAYDORKS. UP YOURS KAY U JAYDORK FANS!!!! :D :D :D :D :D
warwickland
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by warwickland »

KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

I'd like AKP to show us where anybody ever even hinted that all people in this age range want to live downtown?  With or without a baseball park.

I'm not sure why AKP thinks it's so offensive that some people are now choosing to live downtown?
http://downtownkcmo.blogspot.com

Tweeting live from Big 12 tournament @downtownkc
chrizow
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by chrizow »

KCPowercat wrote:
I'm not sure why AKP thinks it's so offensive that some people are now choosing to live downtown?
i think he just likes to play the role of Contrarian/Devil's Advocate...at all times.
staubio
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by staubio »

CAN'T... TAKE... ANYMORE....ILL-INFORMED..... BITCHING... ABOUT.... GROCERIES!  Are these people buying edible bricks or something?  What is the fuss?

These folks didn't get it.  A house is probably better for them, and more power to them.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

which is cool if he would just come out and state that....or post his true opinion every once and awhile.  these drive by postings with no real meat behind them get kind of old.

Tosspot
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by Tosspot »

for every person who moves downtown and then leaves because its not for them, how many young people are there stuck in the suburbs bored to death?

photoblog. 

until further notice i will routinely point out spelling errors committed by any here whom i frequently do battle wit
kcdcchef
The Quiet Chair
The Quiet Chair

Post by kcdcchef »

staubio wrote: CAN'T... TAKE... ANYMORE....ILL-INFORMED..... BITCHING... ABOUT.... GROCERIES!  Are these people buying edible bricks or something?  What is the fuss?

These folks didn't get it.  A house is probably better for them, and more power to them.

i have said it before, and will say it again. anyone using a grocery store and it' s proximity, is a MORON. show me any hood in america, where there are grocery stores every .2 miles. they are not that close in the burbs. my parents live in buckner, why, i am not sure, but, they have to drive 5 miles to get to a grocery store.

i would venture to say there are far more points of sale in a city, sure, they may not all be 2 acre grocery stores with piped in musak, however, that is a pathetic argument. i lived in downtown kc in the 80's and 90's, in the days before a successful river quay, when quality hill was just born, and midtown was only mcdonalds and nothing more, and i NEVER had any problem shopping. so, why people would now, 10+ years later, with a shitload more options, is beyond me.
MU FINISHED THE YEAR RANKED HIGHER IN HOOPS AND FOOTBALL THAN THE KAY U JAYDORKS. UP YOURS KAY U JAYDORK FANS!!!! :D :D :D :D :D
Tosspot
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by Tosspot »

kcdcchef wrote: i have said it before, and will say it again. anyone using a grocery store and it' s proximity, is a MORON. show me any hood in america, where there are grocery stores every .2 miles. they are not that close in the burbs. my parents live in buckner, why, i am not sure, but, they have to drive 5 miles to get to a grocery store.

i would venture to say there are far more points of sale in a city, sure, they may not all be 2 acre grocery stores with piped in musak, however, that is a pathetic argument. i lived in downtown kc in the 80's and 90's, in the days before a successful river quay, when quality hill was just born, and midtown was only mcdonalds and nothing more, and i NEVER had any problem shopping. so, why people would now, 10+ years later, with a shitload more options, is beyond me.
how did you get around though? driving everywhere?

photoblog. 

until further notice i will routinely point out spelling errors committed by any here whom i frequently do battle wit
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

The grocery store thing is idiotic.....the problem is people have to change their shopping habits.  Most of us grew up in some sort of burb setting where you went to walMart and got everything in one stop...and then groceries all in one big store.  When you live downtown it's not that way.....which I'm fine with.  People as they start living down here, will realize that and adapt.

chrizow
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by chrizow »

KCPowercat wrote: The grocery store thing is idiotic.....the problem is people have to change their shopping habits.  Most of us grew up in some sort of burb setting where you went to walMart and got everything in one stop...and then groceries all in one big store.  When you live downtown it's not that way.....which I'm fine with.  People as they start living down here, will realize that and adapt.
or they can get in the car and drive 5-10 minutes to a Target or Price Chopper in the northland or raytown or whatever, just like they do in Olathe.

just this weekend, my dad was telling me i would be a "fool" to live downtown, citing this grocery store myth.  this is coming from a guy who drives 10-15 minutes to the lee's summit price chopper.  when i said that there are nice grocery stores just north of the river that are equally distant, he reverted to the OTHER cliche: yeah, but at least in the suburbs you won't have some thug driving 5 blocks over from the hood to stick a gun in your ribs and rob you.  :x
kcdcchef
The Quiet Chair
The Quiet Chair

Post by kcdcchef »

Tosspot wrote: how did you get around though? driving everywhere?
i am a walker............................however, sometimes i would employ a 12th street bus to help out.

would walk to the west side, since, i was so familiar with it going to high school at 20th and summit, walk to river market, because it was a nice little walk, and if i had to drive, which, i would make a run every couple of months to a gladstone price chopper for cleaners, stuff like that. then, on odd occasions, i would drive to work, as opposed to walking, if i needed to stop on the way home to get a case of dr pepper and milk.

really not hard to get everything you need on the bus, or walking. and if you have to, because you are carrying a bunch of heavy shit, grab your car. even if you like doing the whole urban experience, which, i did, it made no sense to kill yourself carrying cases of soda, dairy, etc, so even once a month, if not twice, you would have to take your car out and get things. just not too often.