OFFICIAL - Corbin Park (135th and Metcalf)

Find out what's going on in the Sunflower State's portions of the Metro here.
trailerkid
City Center Square
City Center Square

One Corbin Park (135th and Metcalf)

Post by trailerkid »

Although income increases dramatically the further south you go in OP/Leawood, I think So Jo Co would be a lot better off just building up the area in back of Town Center Plaza. The Park Place development will be a denser version of Zona Rosa and could easily accomodate many of the tenants that Cormac says they will bring to town with their development. I hate Town Center and would rather see it go belly up, but it'd nice to have more compact "A list" shopping area in the suburbs rather than bad upscale strip malls every 10 blocks.
Kaye
Parking Garage
Parking Garage

Post by Kaye »

Trailerkid---I agree.

In my opinion, denser shopping districts are preferrable to tons of strip malls.
Kaye aka Karin
GuyInLenexa
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Re: One Corbin Park

Post by GuyInLenexa »

Kaye wrote:Is this mall supposed to have two department store anchors? Does anyone have any idea what the other store is besides Von Maur?
Is Von Maur for sure? I heard on the radio that it was supposed to have only one department store anchor. I thought the other anchor was supposed to be another super sporting goods store.

I like Von Maur, I like the fact that it is still family owned and has fantastic customer service. They have taken the old Jacobsons in Louisville and the Detroit area, I have been in the one in Wichita too. It would be a nice addition to KC.
trailerkid
City Center Square
City Center Square

Re: One Corbin Park

Post by trailerkid »

GuyInLenexa wrote:
Kaye wrote:Is this mall supposed to have two department store anchors? Does anyone have any idea what the other store is besides Von Maur?
Is Von Maur for sure? I heard on the radio that it was supposed to have only one department store anchor. I thought the other anchor was supposed to be another super sporting goods store.

I like Von Maur, I like the fact that it is still family owned and has fantastic customer service. They have taken the old Jacobsons in Louisville and the Detroit area, I have been in the one in Wichita too. It would be a nice addition to KC.
Von Maur was widely thought to be an anchor for Copaken's mall on the same site. I am puzzled that Von Maur did not go to Town Center Plaza, but maybe May Co. outbid them.

I would expect Scheels to enter the market here soon...it's been way too long.
GuyInLenexa
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by GuyInLenexa »

I went by the construction site this weekend, it has been leveled and filled in. I noticed that they seem to be keeping the pond on the corner of 135th and Metcalf, that did nto seem to be in the plan site on the Cormac website. I think it would be great if they did. I hope they don't drain it.
Kaye
Parking Garage
Parking Garage

One Corbin Park

Post by Kaye »

I heard the pond is supposed to be the focal point for several restaurants. The restaurants will overlook the pond which will have an added water feature like a fountain.
Kaye aka Karin
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Post by GRID »

Von Maur has signed on for One Corbin Park according to the Business Journal. Crate & Barrel is taking a serious look at the other anchor. It sounds like C&B is still trying to choose between OP and the Plaza.
trailerkid
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by trailerkid »

GRID wrote:Von Maur has signed on for One Corbin Park according to the Business Journal. Crate & Barrel is taking a serious look at the other anchor. It sounds like C&B is still trying to choose between OP and the Plaza.
Link? Or is it in today's?
Kaye
Parking Garage
Parking Garage

One Corbin Park

Post by Kaye »

Von Maur will be a nice addition to Johnson County. The department store has an elegant decor and good customer service.
Kaye aka Karin
Maitre D
The Quiet Chair
The Quiet Chair

Post by Maitre D »

I live right in that area, I'm psyched about the new mall for some reason. That lake out front is very large.....and quite nice. I hope it is retained in full.

Check out these demographics!:

Corbin Park
135th & Metcalf, Overland Park, Kansas

1 Mile 3 Mile 5 Mile

Population 5,542 80,921 189,564

Average HH Income $159,653 $129,073 $110,747

Median HH Income $118,653 $98,523 $84,390

Average Age 32.53 33.76 36.07

Traffic Count: 65,000 cars per day
[img width=472 height=40]http://media.kansascity.com/images/champions_blue.gif[/img]

"For 15 years...KU won every time. There was no rivalry" - Frank Martin
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

I assume those demos are good...how would they compare to other areas just as reference? Where did you get them from?
http://downtownkcmo.blogspot.com

Tweeting live from Big 12 tournament @downtownkc
trailerkid
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by trailerkid »

KCPowercat wrote:I assume those demos are good...how would they compare to other areas just as reference? Where did you get them from?
I'm fairly certain they're KC's most impressive demos as of now. But it still leaves the question open for retailers whether they want to pick sexy (KCMO) or safe (So Jo Co). I'm fairly confident that C+B will go to the Plaza first.
chrizow
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by chrizow »

is Von Maur upscale like Nordstrom or Neiman Marcus, or is it like Famous Barr/Dillards?

also, TK, i think C+B will go to JoCo before the plaza. lower rents, strong customer base, and they probably have more power/control over their own contracts at a new JoCo shopping center vs. the established, entrenched Plaza.

could be wrong though. i hope i am.
Pork Chop
Colonnade
Colonnade

Post by Pork Chop »

GuyInLenexa wrote:I went by the construction site this weekend, it has been leveled and filled in. I noticed that they seem to be keeping the pond on the corner of 135th and Metcalf, that did nto seem to be in the plan site on the Cormac website. I think it would be great if they did. I hope they don't drain it.
I pass by there almost every morning and the water level is a lot lower then it use to be. It does look like they are draining it from my perspective. However, as another poster stated, the plans do call for a water feature (fountain).
"People just repeat what everybody else says as a short cut to thinking." JTREG - BigSoccer Forum Member
Chesterfieldkid03
Parking Garage
Parking Garage

Post by Chesterfieldkid03 »

is Von Maur upscale like Nordstrom or Neiman Marcus, or is it like Famous Barr/Dillards?
I have been to Von Maur in Omaha, and I would say it is between Lord and Taylor and Nordstrom but nowhere near Neiman Marcus. It is more upscale than Famous Barr and Dillards.
Maitre D
The Quiet Chair
The Quiet Chair

Post by Maitre D »

Just drove by it - the bastards HAVE drained it. F-ck em, I hope the project stops now. That big lake was incredible, and should've been incorporated into the plan.

A-holes. #-o
[img width=472 height=40]http://media.kansascity.com/images/champions_blue.gif[/img]

"For 15 years...KU won every time. There was no rivalry" - Frank Martin
trailerkid
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by trailerkid »

chrizow wrote:is Von Maur upscale like Nordstrom or Neiman Marcus, or is it like Famous Barr/Dillards?
I'd say it's like a low-rent Nordstrom. Stores are built in a somewhat elegant style and have the piano player in the center-- carry brands like Lacoste and Ralph Lauren.

Here's an article that gives you a more clearer picture:
http://www.freep.com/money/business/shop17_20021017.htm

I predict the So Jo Co store will become their chain leader within a year or so.
chrizow
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by chrizow »

trailerkid wrote:
chrizow wrote:is Von Maur upscale like Nordstrom or Neiman Marcus, or is it like Famous Barr/Dillards?
I'd say it's like a low-rent Nordstrom. Stores are built in a somewhat elegant style and have the piano player in the center-- carry brands like Lacoste and Ralph Lauren.

Here's an article that gives you a more clearer picture:
http://www.freep.com/money/business/shop17_20021017.htm

I predict the So Jo Co store will become their chain leader within a year or so.
wow that store sounds completely boring. it sounds like Lord + Taylor, which i detest. expensive AND nothing there i like. a bad combo.
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Post by GRID »

You are so deep into suburbia that wouldn't you be shutting out all the other areas of KC that also have good demos? I realize that South JoCo has the strongest stats and I doubt that will ever change becuse like I said, those areas of JoCo are layers deep in high end suburbia. They have nothing within ten miles that will even begin to offset the income stats etc.

Wealthy areas of Platte County, Lee's Summit, KCMO etc all are very close to lower income areas.

What I am saying is that South JoCo does have a lot of high income residents concentrated in one area, but I trully don't believe it's greater than the sum of similar high income residents throughout the rest of the metro and 135th it a bit far to take adavantage of the entire area's wealthy, let along tourist who would much rather stay in the core near the attractions and hotels than make their way to 135th.
trailerkid
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by trailerkid »

chrizow wrote:expensive AND nothing there i like.
Again, in So Jo Co they will set sales records in their first couple years. :lol: