2012-2013 Big 12 College Football

Can't get enough of sports even on a development board? Get your fix here. Expect heavy moderation on smack talk.
chaglang
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Re: 2012-2013 Big 12 College Football

Post by chaglang »

KC-wildcat wrote:I'm not trying to convince you that Klein's passing ability is anything other than competent. His passing performance, however, has been quite good. Mostly because our coaches recognize his ability and tailor the offense to his skill set accordingly.

Let's keep in mind that he's completing 70% of his passes and averaging 10yrds per attempt. He may not dazzle the crowd with 35+ yard strikes, but if given time, he'll find the open receiver in open area and deliver the ball accurately.

Let's also keep in mind that he's playing behind one of the best O-Lines in the Conference. 2 sacks on the season, including 0 against OU - the best Defense in the BigXII.
Ok, like I said before, he had one nice drive in the 4th. But, like I said before, none of those came at a point in the game when KSU had to air it out or lose the game - the game situations where they can't stick with the plan. That was my only point: that after watching Saturday, I don't trust that Klein has the ability make the throws he'll have to in that situation. And I'm betting that they will find themselves in that situation at least once this season - almost every team does.

The O-line is going to look slightly better than they are, because teams have to respect Klein's undeniable strength - running. And they did a great job pass blocking Saturday - one play I remember Klein staying in the pocket for 5 or 6 seconds simply because the blocking was intact and he couldn't go anywhere. I think that was the jump pass he completed for a first down.

FWIW, OU has 6 sacks on the season. So does KU.

Basically, only three things have to happen for KSU to remain in title contention:
-Klein has to perform the entire season above his ability
-The defense has to play well enough that the offense doesn't have to make any big comebacks on Klein's passing.
-The running backs have to play well enough that Klein doesn't also become the #1 running option.
bobbyhawks
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by bobbyhawks »

Congrats to the Wildcats. I thought KSU was overrated last season, and I thought there would be a return to the mean this season. Obviousy, there is a lot of time left in the season, but I think it is safe to say I was way wrong. Old man Snyder is pretty remarkable.

As for KU, I have no clue how Weis thinks Crist is worth keeping on the field. He is just as bad as Jordan Webb and a shining example of how large a margin of error there is in the "5 star" ranking. When you look at the stats, he is actually way worse than Jordan Webb this season. I'm beginning to wonder if there isn't some terrible personal problem, because it looks like he is on another planet on some plays. At times, it is almost Richie Tenenbaum, seventy-two unforced errors strange.
KC-wildcat
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by KC-wildcat »

chaglang wrote:
Ok, like I said before, he had one nice drive in the 4th. But, like I said before, none of those came at a point in the game when KSU had to air it out or lose the game - the game situations where they can't stick with the plan. That was my only point: that after watching Saturday, I don't trust that Klein has the ability make the throws he'll have to in that situation. And I'm betting that they will find themselves in that situation at least once this season - almost every team does.
admittedly, KSU's strength is not the "air it out or lose the game" offense. Like you, I don't like our odds of winning games if Klein is expected to pass for 500yards and 4TDs. That's just not his game. It will be difficult for Klein to throw +60 yard touchdown passes to overcome 14 pt deficits late in the 4th Q. no question.

But if you ask me, if KSU is within 1 possession late in the 4th Quarter and needs a TD to win, there's not a QB I'd rather have back there than Klein. Like Todd Reesing.
chaglang wrote:
The O-line is going to look slightly better than they are, because teams have to respect Klein's undeniable strength - running. And they did a great job pass blocking Saturday - one play I remember Klein staying in the pocket for 5 or 6 seconds simply because the blocking was intact and he couldn't go anywhere. I think that was the jump pass he completed for a first down.
IMO, you will see more sacks when a team doesn't respect the passing game and schemes to stop the run. It's logical. Opponents will just load the box against the run and not drop the LBs into coverage. Last year, this resulted in 42 sacks. This year, we've given up 2 . It doesn't make sense to me that this is because teams respect the run.

The only explanation as to why we're running effectively, passing effectively, and protecting the QB is that the O-Line is very good.
chaglang wrote: FWIW, OU has 6 sacks on the season. So does KU.
What's your point? Before answering, also consider KU has played 1 more game. Played Rice, NIU, and a D-II school. OU played #7 team in the country.

chaglang wrote: Basically, only three things have to happen for KSU to remain in title contention:
-Klein has to perform the entire season above his ability
-The defense has to play well enough that the offense doesn't have to make any big comebacks on Klein's passing.
-The running backs have to play well enough that Klein doesn't also become the #1 running option.
I agree with points 2 and 3. Regarding point 1, I think Klein has proven that he has an exceptional ability and, as long as he playes within that ability, we'll be fine.
chaglang
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by chaglang »

KC-wildcat wrote: What's your point? Before answering, also consider KU has played 1 more game. Played Rice, NIU, and a D-II school. OU played #7 team in the country.
That maybe OU isn't the best defense in the Big 12.
TheBigChuckbowski
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by TheBigChuckbowski »

chaglang wrote:Ok, like I said before, he had one nice drive in the 4th. But, like I said before, none of those came at a point in the game when KSU had to air it out or lose the game - the game situations where they can't stick with the plan.
Probably because he was never in that situation in the OU game? You're faulting him for having a lead in the 4th quarter?
chaglang wrote:That was my only point: that after watching Saturday, I don't trust that Klein has the ability make the throws he'll have to in that situation. And I'm betting that they will find themselves in that situation at least once this season - almost every team does.
K-State was down by 10 or less in the 4th quarter in 6 games last year and they won 4 of them. Collin Klein has greatly improved his passing game in the offseason. I'm not sure what you're talking about.
chaglang
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by chaglang »

TheBigChuckbowski wrote:
chaglang wrote:Ok, like I said before, he had one nice drive in the 4th. But, like I said before, none of those came at a point in the game when KSU had to air it out or lose the game - the game situations where they can't stick with the plan.
Probably because he was never in that situation in the OU game? You're faulting him for having a lead in the 4th quarter?
:roll: Yes, that's exactly what I'm saying. Come on.
chaglang wrote:That was my only point: that after watching Saturday, I don't trust that Klein has the ability make the throws he'll have to in that situation. And I'm betting that they will find themselves in that situation at least once this season - almost every team does.
K-State was down by 10 or less in the 4th quarter in 6 games last year and they won 4 of them. Collin Klein has greatly improved his passing game in the offseason. I'm not sure what you're talking about.[/quote]

Go back and read my original post. I said I'm not convinced that KSU is a legit contender until Klein has to throw them back into the game. That's it. I know he went to the Manning camp in the offseason. Maybe his arm is 1000000% better. Great. He still floated a ton of throws on Saturday. And that's what leads me to think that if the Wildcats are in a situation (down 10+) late in the game (halfway through the 4th) that forces them to abandon the run, that Klein dosen't have the arm to bring them back. It's a pretty innocous observation.
TheBigChuckbowski
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by TheBigChuckbowski »

chaglang wrote:
TheBigChuckbowski wrote:
:roll: Yes, that's exactly what I'm saying. Come on.
K-State was down by 10 or less in the 4th quarter in 6 games last year and they won 4 of them. Collin Klein has greatly improved his passing game in the offseason. I'm not sure what you're talking about.
Go back and read my original post. I said I'm not convinced that KSU is a legit contender until Klein has to throw them back into the game. That's it. I know he went to the Manning camp in the offseason. Maybe his arm is 1000000% better. Great. He still floated a ton of throws on Saturday. And that's what leads me to think that if the Wildcats are in a situation (down 10+) late in the game (halfway through the 4th) that forces them to abandon the run, that Klein dosen't have the arm to bring them back. It's a pretty innocous observation.[/quote][/quote]

An observation that was proven wrong 4 times last year when he wasn't as good of a quarterback.

Also, he currently has the 18th best QB rating (12th in YPA, 21st in comp%) in the country and K-State is #7 in 3rd down efficiency.
chaglang
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by chaglang »

You said they were down less than 10. That's not the situation I'm talking about.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

Lofty situation to put any QB in. Especially running KSU offense.

Beating #7 on the road shows me they are contenders.
KC-wildcat
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by KC-wildcat »

chaglang wrote:You said they were down less than 10. That's not the situation I'm talking about.
Just think your criteria for whether KSU is a "contender" is silly.

KSU isn't legit until the the team is down 10-14 late in the 4th Q and the QB throws them to a victory.

Don't you think this is a bit absurd?
KC-wildcat
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by KC-wildcat »

KCPowercat wrote:Lofty situation to put any QB in. Especially running KSU offense.

Beating #7 on the road shows me they are contenders.
In Chaglang's defense, OU may not be that good. I mean, they've compiled the same number of sacks as KU.
AllThingsKC
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by AllThingsKC »

The debate on whether Kansas City is a KU town or MU town is over!

Iowa State owns the 816!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ReB9sqS8 ... r_embedded
chaglang
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by chaglang »

KC-wildcat wrote:
chaglang wrote:You said they were down less than 10. That's not the situation I'm talking about.
Just think your criteria for whether KSU is a "contender" is silly.

KSU isn't legit until the the team is down 10-14 late in the 4th Q and the QB throws them to a victory.

Don't you think this is a bit absurd?
I don't think that Klein can bail them out of a bad situation (points-wise) late in a game. That is why I'm not on the bandwagon yet.
KC-wildcat
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by KC-wildcat »

chaglang wrote:
I don't think that Klein can bail them out of a bad situation (points-wise) late in a game. That is why I'm not on the bandwagon yet.
Fair enough. I just don't think you've watched many KSU games.

Set aside Klein's 4th Quarter performance at OU last weekend.

I went back and looked at Klein's 4th Qs in tight wins last year.

@Miami: down 24-21. Klein drives team 80 yrds for a TD.
Baylor: down 35-26. Klein drives team 70 yrds for a TD. QB runs or passes on 11/13 plays. Defense interception and FG wins game.
A&M: down 21-14. Klein rushing TD ties game at 21. later in 4Q down 31-21. Klein - 53 yrd TD pass. Late FG ties game. In OT, Klein has 3 rushing TDs.

Dude has icewater running through his veins. His 4th Quarter performances have been incredible.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

That was a pretty boring week of games. Baylor and WVU was a joke
KC-wildcat
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by KC-wildcat »

KCPowercat wrote:That was a pretty boring week of games. Baylor and WVU was a joke
I can't tell if it was a joke or not. Didn't watch it. Were their defenses just that bad or were their offenses just that good?

Thought the TX OSU game was entertaining. Think the Cats can beat both teams, both games being played at home.

WVU scares me. I think.
AllThingsKC
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by AllThingsKC »

I enjoyed the Texas/Oklahoma State game. Very good stuff. Didn't get to watch Baylor/WVU, but I followed it on my phone. That was a great game, and I think they broke some kind of scoring record?!

After watching the poise that the Wildcats showed last week against Oklahoma, it looks like K-State is the kind of team that even if they're not the better team (on paper), they can still win because they are so well-coached. This this is very special K-State team. They are going to be fun to watch.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

I was really sweating that one out as an EMAW fan...... That Crist is horrible and has zero backbone.

WVU showed its weaknesses although UT has a Crist level QB in which is hilarious.

WVU v. Kstate in two weeks.... Should be fun.
AllThingsKC
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by AllThingsKC »

KCPowercat wrote: WVU v. Kstate in two weeks.... Should be fun.
That is one game that is circled on my Big 12 calendar. Any predictions? I literally have no idea what to expect, just expect a good game.