EPA moving to Lenexa from downtown KCK

Find out what's going on in the Sunflower State's portions of the Metro here.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Re: EPA moving to Lenexa from downtown KCK

Post by KCPowercat »

According to metrodataline kc has 1.03M in the metro work force. 293k (28%) are in Joco.

Also shows joco bleeding out jobs since 2007 despite all the poaching....

So where is the value for ks taxpayers again?
http://downtownkcmo.blogspot.com

Tweeting live from Big 12 tournament @downtownkc
aknowledgeableperson
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by aknowledgeableperson »

KCMax wrote: BURN!!!!
Well, as the old saying goes "Burn, Baby, Burn".
I may be right.  I may be wrong.  But there is a lot of gray area in-between.
chrizow
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by chrizow »

aknowledgeableperson wrote: Well, as the old saying goes "Burn, Baby, Burn".
but some old sayings are different.  some are more like "cold as ice," "left out in the cold," "cool beans," "chill out," and the like.  some say potat-oh, some say po-tah-toh, y'know? 
KCMax
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by KCMax »

No one seems to want to take responsibility for the move

http://jimmycsays.com/2011/04/13/carnac ... t-the-epa/
SAVE THE PLAZA - FROM ZOMBIES! Find out how at:

http://twitter.com/TheKCRag
mean
Administrator
Administrator

Post by mean »

They instinctively sense there is a lot of potential for massive public outrage. Said outrage has not manifested, and probably won't, but they're not idiots. They know they did something foolish that has the potential to blow up if the right person finds out about it.  They just want it to go away.
"It is not to my good friend's heresy that I impute his honesty. On the contrary, 'tis his honesty that has brought upon him the character of heretic." -- Ben Franklin
admb4ku
Parking Garage
Parking Garage

Post by admb4ku »

mean wrote: That may be the case, but the dude who made this decision is not from anywhere near JoCo, and neither are about half the employees.

Another rumor I heard from a reliable source (which you guys are going to LOVE) is that the GSA was concerned that there are almost 700 people working the building but fewer than 400 parking spaces at the KCK office building. Gotta have LEED! But also gotta have enough parking for everyone to drive alone in their Expedition out to the middle of nowhere...

There is more than enough parking there. Some is in UG lots that would need to be rented monthly but there is plenty of parking right next to the EPA. That can't be a serious issue.
mean
Administrator
Administrator

Post by mean »

Apparently the GSA doesn't want to rent parking from the county / UG. That's just one more cost.
"It is not to my good friend's heresy that I impute his honesty. On the contrary, 'tis his honesty that has brought upon him the character of heretic." -- Ben Franklin
KCFutbol
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by KCFutbol »

aknowledgeableperson wrote: The generally accepted term is "lowest and best", not "best and lowest".  However, there is usually a process beforehand that "qualifies" potential bidders.   So, for probably 99.9999% of the bids for various items the lowest bid is chosen as the default winner.  One has to prove the lowest bidder is not able to perform the work.
In construction contracting it's "low and responsive". On public sector projects it's extremely difficult to disqualify a bidder after you've allowed them to submit a bid.

If you are able to furnish the required insurance and bonds, chances are oyu'll get a contract if you're the low bidder.
admb4ku
Parking Garage
Parking Garage

Post by admb4ku »

mean wrote: Apparently the GSA doesn't want to rent parking from the county / UG. That's just one more cost.
And the UG, the tax break capital of the midwest, wouldn't give them free parking if they wanted it in order to keep them? Come on.
mean
Administrator
Administrator

Post by mean »

I don't know, I wasn't in the negotiations. Just saying, parking was definitely a factor that was mentioned.
KCMax
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by KCMax »

Reardon and KCK Ask White House Help on EPA Move
He insists the move is inconsistent with the federal practice of locating its buildings in central business districts. That is aimed at keeping downtowns alive.
Reardon also does not think taxpayers get any substantial savings from the move.
The mayor also says the approximate 15 mile shift to the south ?does not support the EPA?s efforts to improve the environment or air quality.
The GSA says they elected to move the headquarters because a real estate firm in Johnson County, Lenexa Lexington, made the GSA a better deal. Officials in KCK and the building landlord dispute that.

KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

I doubt anything changes but I'm glad this will be in the spotlight for awhile and get peoples attention what a silly decision it was.

KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

Definitely not the most neutral source but makes good points:

http://switchboard.nrdc.org/blogs/kbenf ... _kidd.html

justin8216
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by justin8216 »

FangKC wrote: I can't remember, but wasn't this building constructed by a third-party owner to lease to the GSA/EPA, and not by the government itself?

This has happened before.  That "Flash Cube" building at 8th and Main that Tower Properties owns was also built cheaply, and will probably have to be torn down at some point.  I believe the garage was also sub-standard and that's why it had to be torn down.

I just recently noticed this building and I thought it looked like such a neat, nameless, faceless corporate building. It looks like it could house the offices of the future Kansas City Counter Terrorism Unit (CTU).

I noticed it has a big for sale sign out front, so I got the impression in was completely vacant. Does anybody know what kind of organiztions/businesses have offices in there and who the building was originally built for?

Is it is true what FangKC says; that this building was developed by a third party for the EPA? If it is then that would make the one in KCK the second purpose built office building left abandoned by the EPA in urban core of greater Kansas City.

I can find no record of this building on emporis.com or tower properties web-site.  Hmmmm.... clandestine operation hiding in plain sight?
Last edited by justin8216 on Tue Apr 19, 2011 12:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
shinatoo
Ambassador

Post by shinatoo »

Fang's first line is referring to the building that the EPA is currently in in KCK. His second line, about the flash cube building, is referencing an example of another building built for the federal government and then left to rot.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

The flashcube was not built for the epa. I wouldn't be surprised to see it torn down within 5 years.

KCMax
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by KCMax »

KCPowercat wrote: Definitely not the most neutral source but makes good points:

http://switchboard.nrdc.org/blogs/kbenf ... _kidd.html
Very good read.

heatherkay
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by heatherkay »

Except that he totally ignored the fact that GSA was the agency responsible for the decision, not EPA
mean
Administrator
Administrator

Post by mean »

I would be a little surprised / annoyed if the EPA (and other agencies) didn't wield some kind of veto power when the GSA chooses locations for them.
heatherkay
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by heatherkay »

I'm sure that someone at EPA was consulted, but the ultimate decision about leases and what buildings were included on the short list was GSA's as was the final decision about where to go.  The article on the NRDC blog doesn't even mention GSA once, making it seem like the whole decision was from EPA.  The rank-and-file people from EPA that I've talked to are pretty annoyed and embarassed about the decision, and they certainly weren't consulted.