Election 2010

Come here to talk about topics that are not related to development, or even Kansas City.
aknowledgeableperson
City Center Square
City Center Square

Re: Election 2010

Post by aknowledgeableperson »

phxcat wrote: many Democrats are discouraged by the lack of the Democratic ability to get anything done (although they have accomplished quite a lot). 
What many of the progressive part of the Dems is discouraged about is the compromises made or items not taken up.  For instance, no single-payer in the national health nor the dropping of don't ask don't tell (many are further upset that the admin has gone to court to appeal the latest ruling by a court to do away with it).
Something was done but what was done was far less than what was expected.
I may be right.  I may be wrong.  But there is a lot of gray area in-between.
NDTeve
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by NDTeve »

Have Dems ever taken credit for anything that goes wrong? Blame it on the filibuster when you have a majority in both houses.  :lol:
Those "right wing dems" are behaving the way they are because their constituents are demanding it and they want to get reelected. Thus, maybe the public isn't behind all these plans.
"Don't go around saying the world owes you a living. The world owes you nothing. It was here first."
- Mark Twain
KCMax
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by KCMax »

NDTeve wrote: Have Dems politicians ever taken credit for anything that goes wrong? Blame it on the filibuster when you have a majority in both houses.  :lol:
Those "right wing dems" are behaving the way they are because their constituents are demanding it and they want to get reelected. Thus, maybe the public isn't behind all these plans.
FYP.
SAVE THE PLAZA - FROM ZOMBIES! Find out how at:

http://twitter.com/TheKCRag
mean
Administrator
Administrator

Post by mean »

AllThingsKC wrote:Face it, Obama is just 4 more years of Bush.   :P
In far too many ways, this is unfortunately very true.
"It is not to my good friend's heresy that I impute his honesty. On the contrary, 'tis his honesty that has brought upon him the character of heretic." -- Ben Franklin
NDTeve
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by NDTeve »

KCMax wrote: FYP.
Well played. Very true.
"Don't go around saying the world owes you a living. The world owes you nothing. It was here first."
- Mark Twain
KCMax
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by KCMax »

NDTeve wrote: Well played. Very true.
On your other point, I think its evidence that moving to the right isn't going to save your ass. Blue Dog Dems are in just as much trouble, if not more (because of their more conservative districts) than Liberal Dems. The lesson I have learned from this is there is little reason to kowtow to the right if you're a Dem. Vote your conscience (which could very well be conservative anyway) and let the chips fall where they may. Events beyond your control are probably going to impact your re-election chances more than your voting record.

NDTeve
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by NDTeve »

When the Country thinks we are headed in the wrong direction...its on the people in charge. Always has been. Tough Shit.
- Mark Twain
phxcat
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by phxcat »

You have to remember that when the country thinks we're on the wrong track, there are multiple groups of people that believe this for multiple reasons.  Therefore, if you move on way, you will lose people on the other end, and the country will still be on the wrong track.
NDTeve
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by NDTeve »

phxcat wrote: You have to remember that when the country thinks we're on the wrong track, there are multiple groups of people that believe this for multiple reasons.  Therefore, if you move on way, you will lose people on the other end, and the country will still be on the wrong track.
True. But not at these levels.
- Mark Twain
AllThingsKC
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by AllThingsKC »

So...    Any predictions to the outcome of the races?

KANSAS:

United States Senator:
Lisa Johnston (D) vs. Jerry Moran (R)

2nd Congressional District:
Cheryl Hudspeth (D) vs. Lynn Jenkins* (R)

3rd Congressional District:
Stephene Moore (D) vs. Kevin Yoder (R)

Governor:
Tom Holland (D) vs. Sam Brownback (R)

Secretary of State:
Chris Biggs* (D) vs. Kris Kobach (R)

Attorney General:
Steve Six* (D) vs. Derek Schmidt (R)

State Treasurer:
Dennis McKinney* (D) vs. Ron Estes (R)

Amendment #1 (paraphrase): Do people have the constitutional right to bear arms to protect self & state? (In Kansas, they currently do.)
Yes or No

Amendment #2 (paraphrase): Shall people with a mental illness be allowed to vote? (In Kansas, they current are not allowed.)
Yes or No.

MISSOURI:

United States Senator:
Robin Carnahan (D) vs. Roy Blunt (R)

4th Congressional District:
Ike Skelton* (D) vs. Vicky Hartzler (R)

5th Congressional District:
Emanuel Cleaver II* (D) vs. Jacob Turk (R)

6th Congressional District:
Clint Hylton (D) vs. Sam Graves* (R)

State Auditor:
Susan Montee* (D) vs. Tom Schweich (R)

Amendment #1 (paraphrase): Shall the office of County Assessor in St. Louis County be an elected position? (Currently, it's by appointment.)
Yes or No

Amendment #2 (paraphrase): Shall former POWs and the service-related disabled be exempt from property taxes? (In Missouri, they currently are not.)
Yes or No

Amendment #3 (paraphrase): Shall the state of Missouri stop all new taxes on home and real estate sales?
Yes or No

Proposition A (paraphrase): Shall Missouri stop any new earnings tax and require the existing earning taxes in Kansas City & St. Louis to be put up for a vote?
Yes or No

Proposition B (paraphrase): Shall Missouri make "puppy mill cruelty" a misdemeanor and impose further regulations on dog breeders?
Yes or No

Kansas City:

Question #1 (paraphrase): Shall KCMO continue to impose a 1/4% sales tax for police and emergency services for the next 15 years?
Yes or No

Question #2 (paraphrase): Shall KCMO issue bonds for retiring debt incurred police & emergency funding?
Yes or No

Question #3 (paraphrase): Shall KCMO redistrict Council Districts every 10 years, based on census information?
Yes or No  

* = Incumbent
KC is the way to be!
aknowledgeableperson
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by aknowledgeableperson »

What might not be a bad situation would be to have the Republicans take control of the House, say by just a very slim majority, and the Senate be split 50/50.  The Republicans could not stay as the party of NO unless it wanted a repeat of '95 which was bad for them, and we will find out who really walks the walk about bipartisanship.
I may be right.  I may be wrong.  But there is a lot of gray area in-between.
KCMax
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by KCMax »

AllThingsKC wrote: So...    Any predictions to the outcome of the races?
KS Sen: Moran (R) 57-36
KS 2nd: Jenkins (R) 55-38
KS 3rd: Yoder (R) 54-41
KS Gov: Brownback (R) 56-40
KS Sec: Kobach (R) 50-43
KS AG: Six (D) 48-46
KS Treasurer: Estes (R) 50-41
Amendment 1: Yes 71-29
Amendment 2: No 64-36

MO Sen: Blunt (R) 49-46
MO 4th: Skelton (D) 51-45
MO 5th: Cleaver (D) 52-46
MO 6th: Graves (R) 59-38
MO Auditor: Montee (D) 48-45
Amendment #1: YES 52-48
Amendment #2: YES 55-45
Amendment #3: YES 60-40
Prop A: YES 65-35
Prop B: YES 75-25

Kansas City:
Question #1: YES 58-42
Question #2: NO 53-47
Question #3: YES 54-46

phuqueue
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by phuqueue »

aknowledgeableperson wrote: What might not be a bad situation would be to have the Republicans take control of the House, say by just a very slim majority, and the Senate be split 50/50.  The Republicans could not stay as the party of NO unless it wanted a repeat of '95 which was bad for them, and we will find out who really walks the walk about bipartisanship.
After the past two years, though, I'm not super confident that we'd see cooperation.  I think from a perspective purely of getting things done, we need either for the Dems to retain both majorities or for the GOP to take a majority in both houses.  I think Obama and a GOP Congress will have an easier time cooperating than a split Congress would have reaching a consensus on anything to send to Obama in the first place.  Obama and a GOP Congress would both sort of have each other over a barrel because the GOP wants to have something to show for its majority, there's a lot of stuff they'd like to do, and obviously Obama can simply veto it if he doesn't like it, but Obama also needs the GOP to pass things that he wants to sign into law.  The GOP hasn't shown any willingness to cooperate or compromise over the past two years, and I think taking a majority in the House is just going to validate that strategy in their eyes.  At the same time, any legislative failures can be pinned on the Dem Senate that won't play ball with them.  I think in a split Congress it's going to have to be the Dems who blink if there's going to be any cooperation.  And maybe they will, through the years of GOP majority they were never as obstinate and inflexible and downright childish as the GOP has been the past couple years.  But I do think it'll be on them to make a move toward bipartisanship, and I don't think there's any guarantee that they will.  We might just end up facing two years of gridlock.  For those who think that's a good thing, it'll be fine, but to get anything passed, split Congress might end up being the worst case scenario.

One thing that's already in question is the Bush tax cuts.  The Dems want to extend them for all but the wealthiest two percent, the GOP wants to extend them for everyone, and now there was an article in the New York Times or on Reuters or somewhere the other day that people are increasingly beginning to expect that they're just going to expire completely because nothing is going to get done to keep them going.  If they can't learn to compromise, everybody's going to lose.  I'm not exactly unbiased when I say this, I mean as a real liberal I'm predisposed to merely dislike the Dems but totally despise the GOP, but based on the past two years I kind of get the feeling the GOP is more willing to take a lose/lose solution than the Dems are.  I feel like they'd do it almost just to spite the Dems, but in fairness it would actually be a fairly shrewd political move too -- the Dems are already seen as the party of "tax and spend" and the Republicans have done a great job stoking that fire that past two years, to the extent that most people think Obama has raised their taxes already, when in fact he's actually lowered them.  Watch the tax cuts expire and see how much trouble the GOP has convincing the electorate that Obama just hiked up their taxes even while the economy is still sputtering.  I like your rosier view and hope it actually comes to pass, but I think with a split Congress things could get ugly (uglier, I suppose, it's not exactly pretty right now).
AllThingsKC
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by AllThingsKC »

Somehow I knew you'd be the first (and only?) one to reply.

Anyway, here are my predictions:

KANSAS:

United States Senator:
Lisa Johnston (D) vs. Jerry Moran (R) 64-33

2nd Congressional District:
Cheryl Hudspeth (D) vs. Lynn Jenkins* (R) 58-35

3rd Congressional District:
Stephene Moore (D) vs. Kevin Yoder (R) 54-44 (Hardest KS race to predict)

Governor:
Tom Holland (D) vs. Sam Brownback (R)  60-39

Secretary of State:
Chris Biggs* (D) vs. Kris Kobach (R) 51-47 (Another hard one to predict)

Attorney General:
Steve Six* (D) vs. Derek Schmidt (R) 49-46 (Another hard one to predict)

State Treasurer:
Dennis McKinney* (D) vs. Ron Estes (R) 48-47

Amendment #1
Yes or No 75-25

Amendment #2
Yes or No 60-40

MISSOURI:

United States Senator:
Robin Carnahan (D) vs. Roy Blunt (R) 50-46

4th Congressional District:
Ike Skelton* (D) vs. Vicky Hartzler (R) 51-48

5th Congressional District:
Emanuel Cleaver II* (D) vs. Jacob Turk (R) 49-48

6th Congressional District:
Clint Hylton (D) vs. Sam Graves* (R) 64-35

State Auditor:
Susan Montee* (D) vs. Tom Schweich (R) 49-49

Amendment #1
Yes or No 75-25

Amendment #2
Yes or No 77-33

Amendment #3
Yes or No 65-35

Proposition A
Yes or No 75-25

Proposition B
Yes or No 88-12

Kansas City:
Question #1:
Yes or No 50-49

Question #2:
Yes or No 53-47

Question #3:
Yes or No 55-45
KC is the way to be!
KCMax
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by KCMax »

Nationwide predictions (probably wishful thinking):

Senate:
GOP picks up ND, AR, IN, WI, WV, IL

Ind pick up: AK (Murkowski over Miller)

Dems pick up: KY

Dems barely hang on in CO, PA, NV, CA, WA

Leaves: 51 Dems 46 GOP 3 Independents (Lieberman and Sanders caucus with Dems, Murkowski with GOP)

GOP picks up 50 House seats

Leaves: 229 GOP 206 Dems

LenexatoKCMO
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by LenexatoKCMO »

AllThingsKC wrote: So...    Any predictions to the outcome of the races?
Short of Carnahan picking up momentum, it doesn't seem like there is really anything remotely in question for the regional races. 
AllThingsKC
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by AllThingsKC »

Ok, let me take a shot at it (and it could just be wishful thinking on my part):

Senate:
GOP picks up ND, AR, IN, WI, WV, IL, AK, CO, PA, and maybe, just maybe NV.

Dems barely hang on in CA, WA

By my count, that leaves: 49 Dems, 49 GOP, 2 Independents

GOP picks up 50-70 House seats, easily take the House
KC is the way to be!
AllThingsKC
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by AllThingsKC »

LenexatoKCMO wrote: Short of Carnahan picking up momentum, it doesn't seem like there is really anything remotely in question for the regional races. 
She's picking up momentum?
KC is the way to be!
LenexatoKCMO
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by LenexatoKCMO »

AllThingsKC wrote: She's picking up momentum?
Yes, the numbers have been narrowing significantly over the last month.  But that was coming from a pretty wide margin.  Some have it down to a six point spread and shrinking.  Seems like some of her ads are finding the mark.  None of the other races in the region show any signs of being competitive. 
chrizow
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by chrizow »

we have had carnahan volunteers come to our door, i am not kidding, at least 12 times in the past month - and those were just the times we have been home to answer the door!  pretty surreal, i've never experienced such spirited door-to-door campaigning.