2010 Kansas City Wizards

Can't get enough of sports even on a development board? Get your fix here. Expect heavy moderation on smack talk.
AllThingsKC
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Re: 2010 Kansas City Wizards

Post by AllThingsKC »

BUT BUT BUT...

From the article:
?This, to us, is not European whatsoever,? Heineman said. ?This is all about our connection to the community and us trying to be innovative in what we?re trying to do.

?(It?s not) a ripoff,? Heineman said. ?That?s the furthest thing from the truth ? we?re not just calling ourselves Real Salt lake or F.C. Dallas. We?re going to go do and embody the name we?re giving (ourselves). That?s not to say it won?t fail. But I don?t feel it?s going to.?

:-k
KC is the way to be!
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

I think it's cool they are trying to encompass the other sports like lacrosse, etc.....but damn yeah that looks waaay to similar to that logo.
http://downtownkcmo.blogspot.com

Tweeting live from Big 12 tournament @downtownkc
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

I think the name change is dumb.  The new logo does look like a badge on an Italian roadster.
There is no fifth destination.
bobbyhawks
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by bobbyhawks »

I will go on record, contrary to popular rag disgust, as saying I like the change.  It wouldn't be my first choice, but I still think it is better than where we stood yesterday.  When an international player is considering a move to KC, do you think they are more likely to be interested in a team called the Wizards (which essentially sounds equivalent to an unafiliated minor league baseball team to soccer players), or Sporting KC?  The connection to the community they spoke about last night at the unveiling sounded great, and I think providing ways for KC to enjoy rugby and other sports will be a terrific asset moving forward.  Referring to the fans as members instead of just fans is a cool way for them to feel they have a stake in what is happening.  Just a more professional all around feel. 

While I like to see us embrace our American-ness, and while "Sporting" is used by other teams, I think that paying homage to the history of the sport in the international realm is a good thing.  This isn't Toronto naming themselves the Raptors after seeing Jurassic Park, or the Wizards naming themselves the same as an NBA franchise in 1996.  It is a team pulling from the history of the international sport and bringing that sense of team/supporter relationship to Kansas City.  Regardless of if you are a fan, I think it is reasonable to see why this is a perfect time for them to rebrand.  As I have said before, they will lose zero fans because of the rebrand.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

Biggest issue is coming up with new chants. Staubio any work on that yet from you superfans?
http://downtownkcmo.blogspot.com

Tweeting live from Big 12 tournament @downtownkc
smh
Supporter

Post by smh »

bobbyhawks wrote: I will go on record, contrary to popular rag disgust, as saying I like the change.  It wouldn't be my first choice, but I still think it is better than where we stood yesterday.  When an international player is considering a move to KC, do you think they are more likely to be interested in a team called the Wizards (which essentially sounds equivalent to an unafiliated minor league baseball team to soccer players), or Sporting KC?  The connection to the community they spoke about last night at the unveiling sounded great, and I think providing ways for KC to enjoy rugby and other sports will be a terrific asset moving forward.  Referring to the fans as members instead of just fans is a cool way for them to feel they have a stake in what is happening.  Just a more professional all around feel. 

While I like to see us embrace our American-ness, and while "Sporting" is used by other teams, I think that paying homage to the history of the sport in the international realm is a good thing.  This isn't Toronto naming themselves the Raptors after seeing Jurassic Park, or the Wizards naming themselves the same as an NBA franchise in 1996.  It is a team pulling from the history of the international sport and bringing that sense of team/supporter relationship to Kansas City.  Regardless of if you are a fan, I think it is reasonable to see why this is a perfect time for them to rebrand.  As I have said before, they will lose zero fans because of the rebrand.
Nice post! I'd add to it, as I said previously, the team may still be referred to informally as the Wizards. Time will tell. But the name isn't crazy. The logo isn't my favorite...though it may look a little better printed/embroidered on stuff. It just has a little too "computer" of a look to me...
"It's only when you leave Kansas City do you realize truly how great a city it is. ... If you have to go away, go away for a while. You'll be back. And when you come back, bring your ideas and willingness to make Kansas City the best."- Sly James
KCMax
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by KCMax »

The name is growing on me I think in part because everyone else hates it. I think I would prefer "Sport KC" rather than "Sporting KC" however or even "Sports Club KC" even better. I think fans will and should continue to "nickname" the team "Wizards" and retain the "Cauldron" and all that (they can ditch Dynamo or whatever that dragon mascot is called). It was amusing driving home last night listening to sports talk radio and getting all the stereotypical callers complaining about Europeans and soccer - they even had twangy accents. I thought it was a parody at first. "SOCCER AIN'T A SPORT! TALK ABOUT SPORTS!!! JEFF GORDON RULEZ!"
SAVE THE PLAZA - FROM ZOMBIES! Find out how at:

http://twitter.com/TheKCRag
szazzy
Pad site
Pad site

Post by szazzy »

KCPowercat wrote: Biggest issue is coming up with new chants. Staubio any work on that yet from you superfans?
The Cauldron (which has no plans to change its name) popular sentiment is that any old songs will still be Wiz/Wizards. It's part of our history. New stuff is open to what works better. Sporting will work for some things and maybe get phased in over time. This was suggested today and if you hear how it's sung, Sporting doesn't sound bad. The words will probably change from this (just one person's first suggestion) but we've been wanting to do Horto Magiko for a long time. We've got a L shaped Cauldron where call and response will work great, and a pub they're building for supporters where I imagine we'll be singing in pre-game World Cup style.

hmm doesn't seem to be embedding here. I'm doing something wrong.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u0rMe2Vyb9E

GOOOO!!!! SPORTING!!! GOOOOO!!!!
AND WE WANT EVERYONE TO KNOOOOW!!!!!
WE ARE HERRRRE, TO WIN THE CUUUUP!
AND WE WILL NEV-ER GIVE UUUUUUP!

(verse)
I SAID NOW GO!!!! SPORTING GO!!!
WE ARE HERE AND WE WANT EVERYONE TO KNOW!!!
WE ARE HERRRE, TO WIN THE CUP!!!!!
AND WE WILL NEVER EVER EVER GIVE UP!!!!!

(chorus)
WE ARE SPORTING (WE ARE SPORTING)
WE ARE KC (WE ARE KC)
AND WE'RE HERE AND WE WANT EVERYONE TO KNOW (JUST SO YOU KNOW)
SPORTING (SPORTING)
KC (KC)
THEY WILL LEAD US ALL TO GOLDEN VICTORY!! (TO VICTORY)
Last edited by szazzy on Thu Nov 18, 2010 6:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
AJoD
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by AJoD »

Surprised that KC Sporting Life hasn't chimed in.

I found it interesting that they see the name supporting multiple sports--specifically mentioned were rugby, lacrosse, and basketball.

Interesting idea.
KC-wildcat
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by KC-wildcat »

FangKC wrote: The new logo does look like a badge on an Italian roadster.
And this is a bad thing?
KCMax
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by KCMax »

AJoD wrote: Surprised that KC Sporting Life hasn't chimed in.

I found it interesting that they see the name supporting multiple sports--specifically mentioned were rugby, lacrosse, and basketball.

Interesting idea.
I wonder if they meant NBA or something like AAU or a youth team.
SAVE THE PLAZA - FROM ZOMBIES! Find out how at:

http://twitter.com/TheKCRag
smh
Supporter

Post by smh »

KC-wildcat wrote: And this is a bad thing?
My thoughts exactly. I would venture that most Italian roadster badges are pretty outstanding designs.
"It's only when you leave Kansas City do you realize truly how great a city it is. ... If you have to go away, go away for a while. You'll be back. And when you come back, bring your ideas and willingness to make Kansas City the best."- Sly James
KC-wildcat
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by KC-wildcat »

geeman68
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by geeman68 »

I think this is growing on me as well.  And I for one do like the new logo/badge.  It'll be a great look on team blazers/jackets and such.  I think it will be cool to bring on board rugby and other "sporting" clubs into the organization. Maybe the KC Carnivores can play in the new stadium.  :)
szazzy
Pad site
Pad site

Post by szazzy »

Another submission from one of our guys - hilarious. He actually has a very good blog over at kcwfans.com (switching to theSportingTimes.net soon). If Sporting sticks we will definitely embrace the funny side of our names just like we did with Wiz.

I?m Popeye the Sporting Fan
I?m Popeye the Sporting Fan
I?m strong to the finish
Cause I grew up on Quidditch
I?m Popeye the Sporting Fan.
szazzy
Pad site
Pad site

Post by szazzy »

The biggest divide so far is all the existing fans that naturally are still coming to terms with this and saying this name in their head. Sporting's facebook page (it's already getting easier) has been filled with a lot of fans that are unhappy, and a select few fans entrenched engaging in a lot of personal attacks. Words like traitor have been thrown out etc. Most people have said they are still coming to games, a few say they are done as of this moment. A more popular sentiment from those not on board is that they will just not buy Sporting Kansas City gear, and only wear their Wizards stuff. It's going to take time. I always thought this was at the minimum a 10 year play, not for 2011. It's a lot of change to take in all at once.

What's going to be interesting is there will be a lot of fans next year that are going to be in Wizards gear but only some of those will actually be wearing it as some kind of protest. I personally will sing Wizards, not as a protest, but because it is a natural nickname for the team and both can co-exist. The Cauldron feels like if we keep our songs alive, we can help all our fans keep the same connection they did before and avoid a split. Unfortunately, supporters don't feel like they've gotten a real enough explanation of all the things they are trying to do at this point. They're worried it's window dressing. I'm hoping it will be more. The plan sounds ambitious if vague, but at this point, many are still in Show-me mode.
aknowledgeableperson
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by aknowledgeableperson »

Sporting KC Wizards
I may be right.  I may be wrong.  But there is a lot of gray area in-between.
szazzy
Pad site
Pad site

Post by szazzy »

aknowledgeableperson wrote: Sporting KC Wizards
This would be the worst of both worlds to me. It's got to be one or the other as the official name. To me Sporting Kansas City has greater potential over time even if it is the unpopular choice in the face of change. Could they have picked a name that would be more popular in year 1? Probably. Still, Wizards was always going to be limiting in what they are trying to do long term. However, us long-time fans won't be able to just flip a switch like that. It can't be forced.

That clip above shows a perfect example of what Sporting might become if they follow through on all of it. The Panathinaikos fans at a basketball game are singing a song that started in the stands for their soccer team and you can now hear it at every sport they do. It's much closer to the University model than the standard American pro sports model.
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

I think they should call themselves The Fancy KC Wizards. :D
There is no fifth destination.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

Instead of Popeye how about "Were KC the sporting fans"