Dunkin' Donuts returning to KC area in Nov 2008

KC topics that don't fit anywhere else.
im2kull
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Re: Dunkin' Donuts returning to KC area in Nov 2008

Post by im2kull »

trailerkid wrote: i've tried it multiple times and i understand the appeal. it's the mcdonald's of donut shops. got it.

has anyone had donuts from casey's general store (small chain of iowa convenience stores...closest one is in eudora, ks)? they have donuts that are way better than dunkin...a wheel of torani coffee flavors...and a land o' lakes half and half dispenser. i think quik trip donuts are better than dunkin too. 
There's a Casey's in Weston/Plattcity, Excelsior, Kearney, KC North, Smithville, etc...

(Are we talking about another Casey's convenience store??)

As far as doughnuts, I think Lamars are easily the best.  At least their cake doughnuts are.  Dunkin is alright if you want some squishy, gooey, doughnuts.
What's graciously given to KC, is strong for the region as a whole.  Passion and benevolence will one day exeem towards all whom know true adoration.  We shall triumph to better the community as One within
THINK (ONE) KC.
shinatoo
Ambassador

Post by shinatoo »

trailerkid wrote: i've tried it multiple times and i understand the appeal. it's the mcdonald's of donut shops. got it.

has anyone had donuts from casey's general store (small chain of iowa convenience stores...closest one is in eudora, ks)? they have donuts that are way better than dunkin...a wheel of torani coffee flavors...and a land o' lakes half and half dispenser. i think quik trip donuts are better than dunkin too. 
There are Casey's all over the metro. Independence, Lee's Summit, Greenwood. I heard their pizza was pretty good, got a few slices, almost dehydrated from the shits it gave me and I can eat almost anything. No thanks.
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Post by GRID »

I remember DD when they were in KC the first time and I recall it being amazing and every time I go to one on out here, I only wished it were a Lamar's :).  Hope the locals continue to patronize Lamar's and DD doesn't run them out of business with all the hype they seem to be creating.

Sort of like Chick Fill A.  Don't get the hype with that place either.
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Post by GRID »

Casey's is nasty.  What is wrong with you people? :)
NDTeve
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by NDTeve »

Lamars are pretty damn tasty. Personally though...I like Fluffy Fresh for glazed and long johns. Amazing.
"Don't go around saying the world owes you a living. The world owes you nothing. It was here first."
- Mark Twain
trailerkid
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by trailerkid »

lamar's in mission was pretty lame last time i went there. no clue how kc.mo can claim that shit as a local (via hq in lincoln, NE no less).

re: casey's. no idea they had stores in exurban kc...belton, basehor + kc, north aren't really my stomping grounds. their pizza is good if you have 4 overweight kids, went to kstate, and live in leavenworth. but their doughnuts ARE good...sweet and fattening-- not worth a special trip, but good if you need doughnuts in Sarah Palin country.

quik trip doughnuts > DD. do a taste test.  

i hate how kc constantly circle jerks for stuff like DD. again, i'm glad they're here, but jesus people...i'd rather have one AWESOME doughnut shop in the metro than a metro covered in DD and their WTF coffee they serve. can someone explain to me exactly WTF that stuff is? it tastes like a bad science experiment.
shinatoo
Ambassador

Post by shinatoo »

trailerkid wrote: lamar's in mission was pretty lame last time i went there. no clue how kc.mo can claim that shit as a local (via hq in lincoln, NE no less).
Lamar's was stared in KC by Ray Lamar somewhere in Midtown, i think it was on Linwood, I always went to the Raytown one. He then sold the rights to a franchiser but withheld rights to the KC market. Thats how HQ wound up in Lincoln. I believe most of the area Lamar's are now part of the national chain after Ray died. Ray's daughter runs the one out by Greenwood. There is a big picture of Ray on the wall. In the late 90's and early 00's I recall many of the local Lamar's going to shit and getting a lot of health infractions before they reverted to the national flag.

You are correct though, you have no clue.
Highlander
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by Highlander »

shinatoo wrote: i think it was on Linwood
It was indeed Linwood, in 1960.  My dad took us there often when we lived at 50th and Prospect but that ended when we moved south to Waldo.  Many years later I frequented another famous donut spot, Joe's Bakery in Lawrence. 

I'm all for tradition but I have to agree that's it's tough to get excited about a donut regardless of its origin.  
LenexatoKCMO
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by LenexatoKCMO »

Highlander wrote: It was indeed Linwood, in 1960.  
Its now a cell phone store - but there is a Lamar's around the corner on Main in the strip nect to McDs. 
bbqboy
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by bbqboy »

Highlander wrote: It was indeed Linwood, in 1960.  My dad took us there often when we lived at 50th and Prospect but that ended when we moved south to Waldo.  Many years later I frequented another famous donut spot, Joe's Bakery in Lawrence. 

I'm all for tradition but I have to agree that's it's tough to get excited about a donut regardless of its origin.  
I always got egg salad sandwiches. I loved Joes. They kept many a starving KU  student alive  :lol:
trailerkid
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by trailerkid »

shinatoo wrote: Lamar's was stared in KC by Ray Lamar somewhere in Midtown, i think it was on Linwood, I always went to the Raytown one. He then sold the rights to a franchiser but withheld rights to the KC market. Thats how HQ wound up in Lincoln. I believe most of the area Lamar's are now part of the national chain after Ray died. Ray's daughter runs the one out by Greenwood. There is a big picture of Ray on the wall. In the late 90's and early 00's I recall many of the local Lamar's going to shit and getting a lot of health infractions before they reverted to the national flag.

You are correct though, you have no clue.
i was aware it started in kc. i have no clue how people can claim something that hasn't had a HQ here in years and serves terribly mediocre product.
LenexatoKCMO
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by LenexatoKCMO »

trailerkid wrote: i was aware it started in kc. i have no clue how people can claim something that hasn't had a HQ here in years and serves terribly mediocre product.
It was a local, family-owned institution for decades - I am sure there are a large number of kansas citians that are completely oblivious to the whole out-of-town corporate aspect of it today.  Most people would have no reason to know it was hq in nebraska. 
KCMax
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by KCMax »

trailerkid wrote: i was aware it started in kc. i have no clue how people can claim something that hasn't had a HQ here in years and serves terribly mediocre product.
You should do commercials for them.
SAVE THE PLAZA - FROM ZOMBIES! Find out how at:

http://twitter.com/TheKCRag
lock+load
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by lock+load »

Lamars is great.  Anyone who thinks QT makes a great donut is nuts.  They are passable at best. 
dangerboy
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by dangerboy »

Some other "home town" companies that are no longer based here but are sometimes still claimed... Einstein Brothers Bagels, Applebees, Hostess, Wonder Bread, Wishbone, KC Masterpiece (the sauce).
trailerkid
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by trailerkid »

lock+load wrote: Lamars is great.  Anyone who thinks QT makes a great donut is nuts.  They are passable at best. 
what is great about lamar's? 100% serious question.
chrizow
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by chrizow »

trailerkid wrote: what is great about lamar's? 100% serious question.
the donuts taste good. 
lock+load
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by lock+load »

trailerkid wrote: what is great about lamar's? 100% serious question.
chrizow wrote: the donuts taste good. 
Exactly.  100% serious.  The donuts taste great.
im2kull
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by im2kull »

lock+load wrote: Exactly.  100% serious.  The donuts taste great.
+1

TK...I suggest you try a different location than the one you are currently using.  Its all about location, their management, and their employees when it comes to resturant chains.
What's graciously given to KC, is strong for the region as a whole.  Passion and benevolence will one day exeem towards all whom know true adoration.  We shall triumph to better the community as One within
THINK (ONE) KC.
trailerkid
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by trailerkid »

chrizow wrote: the donuts taste good. 
donuts are good at a lot of places including supermarkets and convenience stores.