School downtown?

Issues concerning Downtown as described by the Downtown Council. River to 31st Street, I-35 to Bruce R. Watkins.
nota
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Re: School downtown?

Post by nota »

bahua wrote: It was a joke that nobody seemed to get.
I "got it" just fine but sarcasm on a serious topic is just stupid.
voltopt
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by voltopt »

Living downtown is a good option for people of diverse economic backgrounds, regardless of perception.  There is an abundance of affordable housing adjacent to a major employment center for not just professionals or clerical positions but also food service and various unskillled jobs.  Couple that with the concentration of social programs and the nexus of the regional transit system, and I think someone of lesser means could find employment, a reasonable place to live, and access to the best transit within the "official" boundaries of downtown Kansas City.  There are many buildings that cater to those with less, and I'm not talking about the newer subsidized projects.  Quality Hill towers and the Walnut Tower are inexpensive, and Columbus Park and the former Belvidere Park feature Section 8 type housing.  The Pickwick is lowrent, as are many properties on the west side and in the Longfellow area.
What suits young, relatively successful people with no kids is the lifestyle which exists downtown but comes at a price - relative comfort and many nightlife options.  But there are also many amenities downtown for those who may be considered not necessarily young or successful.  
A public school serving BOTH of these group's needs could be very important to the longterm vibrancy of downtown.  
Sometimes these downtown discussions only voice the opinions of the loft & condo set.  That position is important, as it helps fuel downtown's growth, but there are many other groups of people that call the area home.
"I never quarrel, sir; but I do fight, sir; and when I fight, sir, a funeral follows, sir."   -senator thomas hart benton
bahua
Administrator
Administrator

Post by bahua »

KCMax wrote: just drive through Brookside, Briarcliff or Prairie Village and I think you'll see there is no shortage of families in the area with disposable income.
As I suggested(but didn't outright say), they have other obligations than financial that would keep them from being able to enjoy their disposable income as often as a young single person.
bahua
Administrator
Administrator

Post by bahua »

nota wrote: I "got it" just fine but sarcasm on a serious topic is just stupid.
Never read the Onion. Please.
nota
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by nota »

bahua wrote: As I suggested(but didn't outright say), they have other obligations than financial that would keep them from being able to enjoy their disposable income as often as a young single person.
You might as well get yourself a shovel to help with that big hole your posts are digging. :lol: 8) :lol:

Excuse me but whatever on earth makes you think that anyone who has children doesn't enjoy their disposable income just as much as a young single person. Just because people have mature priorities doesn't mean they don't or can't have fun.

I also would challenge your assumption that living DT is any more expensive than anywhere else unless you are sending kids to private schools. Yes, the housing is probably more expensive than further out, at least for what you get, but there are expenses involved in living elsewhere that city dwellers dont' have.
nota
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by nota »

bahua wrote: Never read the Onion. Please.
Perhaps if you could actually do sarcasm like the Onion does, your posts might be funny. But you can't. I've been reading the Onion for years. And I "get it" in the Onion just fine.
bahua
Administrator
Administrator

Post by bahua »

nota wrote: You might as well get yourself a shovel to help with that big hole your posts are digging. :lol: 8) :lol:

Excuse me but whatever on earth makes you think that anyone who has children doesn't enjoy their disposable income just as much as a young single person. Just because people have mature priorities doesn't mean they don't or can't have fun.

I also would challenge your assumption that living DT is any more expensive than anywhere else unless you are sending kids to private schools. Yes, the housing is probably more expensive than further out, at least for what you get, but there are expenses involved in living elsewhere that city dwellers dont' have.
We'll just have to agree to disagree. And please retract the claws. I'm not lunging at you, but whether you mean to or not, you're snarling.
KCMax
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by KCMax »

nota wrote: You might as well get yourself a shovel to help with that big hole your posts are digging. :lol: 8) :lol:
Joking about a serious topic is just stupid.
SAVE THE PLAZA - FROM ZOMBIES! Find out how at:

http://twitter.com/TheKCRag
chrizow
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by chrizow »

voltopt wrote:Sometimes these downtown discussions only voice the opinions of the loft & condo set.  That position is important, as it helps fuel downtown's growth, but there are many other groups of people that call the area home.
exactly.  
bahua wrote: As I suggested(but didn't outright say), they have other obligations than financial that would keep them from being able to enjoy their disposable income as often as a young single person.
i guess i just dont understand what your overarching point is, here.  what difference does it make if people with kids have to spend some or all of the income on children?  also, who defines what it means to "get the most" out of a neighborhood (as you posted earlier)?  

i don't think downtown is very family-friendly at all, but i see absolutely no reason why there shouldn't be efforts to make it so.  it's not Land of the Middle Class Singles.  

i think the Plaza area (broadly speaking) is an apt model here.  it has a lot of singles, young couples, families, etc.  it has some degree of neighborhood amenities such as schools, churches, and the like.  the area is expensive, but that doesn't keep it from being both single-friendly and family-friendly.
LenexatoKCMO
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by LenexatoKCMO »

As long as we are all piling on Bahua  :D  Don't forget that there are plenty of irresponsible parents in our society who are probably just as likely to waste away all of their money and spend their time partying as are young single professionals.  

Having kids in and of itself doesn't necessarily make you smart, mature, or responsible. 
bahua
Administrator
Administrator

Post by bahua »

I suppose I should overtly say that I have no problem whatsoever with downtown families or schools, though I don't think they make any sense. That doesn't mean I oppose them.

I was never really commenting on the idea of the school being built, as much as I was responding to individual posts to which I took exception.
nota
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by nota »

bahua wrote: And please retract the claws. I'm not lunging at you,
Yeah, what was this?
It was a joke that nobody seemed to get.
or this:
Never read the Onion. Please.
I pretty much reply in the tone I get. If I need claws, I use them just as you do. It is a big step down from that high horse you seem to be on.
chrizow
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by chrizow »

bahua wrote: I suppose I should overtly say that I have no problem whatsoever with downtown families or schools, though I don't think they makes any sense. That doesn't mean I oppose them.
i agree that there are many, many better neighborhoods in which to raise kids than downtown.  i would never raise a child downtown, at any rate.
bahua
Administrator
Administrator

Post by bahua »

nota wrote: I pretty much reply in the tone I get. If I need claws, I use them just as you do. It is a big step down from that high horse you seem to be on.
You're the winner! Lunge away!

I'm just a bit upset that since you don't think my humor is funny, you think you get to arbitrate whether or not it's admissible.
chrizow
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by chrizow »

NOTA IS WINNAR
nota
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by nota »

LenexatoKCMO wrote: As long as we are all piling on Bahua  :D  Don't forget that there are plenty of irresponsible parents in our society who are probably just as likely to waste away all of their money and spend their time partying as are young single professionals.  
I'm not piling on bahua. Just the posts. Bahua is a good guy. Just posts some weird stuff now and then.
Having kids in and of itself doesn't necessarily make you smart, mature, or responsible. 
I can agree with that however we were speaking mostly of professional people in this thread. Usually though not always, they can be a bit more mature and responsible. anyone can be smart.
nota
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by nota »

chrizow wrote: i agree that there are many, many better neighborhoods in which to raise kids than downtown.  i would never raise a child downtown, at any rate.
See, a voice of truth and practicality. Chriz-are you "smart, mature and responsible?" :lol: :lol:

Seriously, I wouldnt' want to raise kids in DT KC either, there isnt' enough for them to do yet. But hopefully there will be some day.
chrizow
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by chrizow »

nota wrote: See, a voice of truth and practicality. Chriz-are you "smart, mature and responsible?" :lol: :lol:
smart, yes.  mature and responsible?  no.

(inseminates 70 women)
nota
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by nota »

bahua wrote: You're the winner! Lunge away!

I'm just a bit upset that since you don't think my humor is funny, you think you get to arbitrate whether or not it's admissible.
NOPE!!!!!!!! Not even close. I don't get to arbitrate anything but my own perception of how words strike me. Lordy! everyone lands on me all the time when I say something they think is stupid. thick skin.

I actually thought that your humor was funny, but I knew you didnt' mean it in fun.

I'm done. Toilets to clean today :lol:.

We need schools in DT if we ever are to have a vibrant city. As far as your assertions about the DT schools taking away from the rest, I dont' think you understand that I think that the entire KCMO school board and organization needs flushed and replaced and ALL schools need to be great for ALL students. That is all I've ever thought and all I've ever said. If you ever read any of my posts about schools, keep that underlying thought in mind. My mind will never change till the situation improves. I was a big fan of Benjamin Demps-they should have left him alone to do his job. I hope Mr. Amato succeeds in what he is trying to do, but if he does, it will be in spite of anything the KCMO School Board does.

Peace. . .
nota
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by nota »

chrizow wrote:
(inseminates 70 women)
Dreamer!!!!!!!!