Wizards Stadium at Bannister Mall

Jackson/Cass Suburbs, including South KC
KCMax
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: Wizards Stadium at Bannister Mall

Post by KCMax »

I believe New York plays on artificial turf. Rockhurst seems like a good fit.
SAVE THE PLAZA - FROM ZOMBIES! Find out how at:

http://twitter.com/TheKCRag
KCFutbol
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by KCFutbol »

If it's Ray-Pec rumour says the Wizards will be putting in Field Turf as part of the deal.  :puke:
im2kull
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by im2kull »

KCFutbol wrote: If it's Ray-Pec rumour says the Wizards will be putting in Field Turf as part of the deal.  :puke:

Jewell already has field turf..and is in a nice homely spot in the northland.  idk why they dont consider it.  Jewell is alot more ready for a major seating expansion than Ray-Pec Stadium.  I hate the stupid stadium there...in raymore/pec.  The last game I went to there we had to park literally a mile away on a SCHOOL SIDEWALK! At least jewell has TONS of campus parking everywhere!  Most the big liberty games were sellouts with people flooding onto the grass area and the last game against rockhurst drew almost 10k...yet the walk to the stadium took just one minute from parking at the maybee center, and there was PLENTY more parking/space available to stand or sit on the grass to watch.  The seats and concessions are the only downside there.  Raypec stadium is VERY far away for most fans, and the parking is sucky at best.  Not to mention that somewhere like Jewell already has NICE Sprint-Turf...a form of field turf...its the best in the business...alot softer than some others I've seen...
What's graciously given to KC, is strong for the region as a whole.  Passion and benevolence will one day exeem towards all whom know true adoration.  We shall triumph to better the community as One within
THINK (ONE) KC.
Pork Chop
Colonnade
Colonnade

Post by Pork Chop »

As The Star reported last November, the Wizards have approached a group that wants to revitalize the Bannister Mall area. Heineman said Thursday that negotiations were progressing toward building a permanent stadium there.
http://www.kansascity.com/mld/kansascity/16601541.htm
"People just repeat what everybody else says as a short cut to thinking." JTREG - BigSoccer Forum Member
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Post by GRID »

=D> =D> =D>
ComandanteCero
One Park Place
One Park Place

Post by ComandanteCero »

sounds good to me, in fact this strikes me as one of the best sites (purely from a geographic point of view), you have easy highway access from virtually every part of the metro.  In terms of the reputation problems of the Bannister mall area, I don't see how it's much worse than how many people view the area around the Zoo, and yet it doesn't keep people from coming anyway.  I say GO FOR IT, but I would hope the city also tries to find a way to create some synergistic development on the side.
KC Region is all part of the same animal regardless of state and county lines.
Think on the Regional scale.
briantsmith25
New York Life
New York Life

Post by briantsmith25 »

Dude... Nobody goes to the zoo.
Dream as if you will live forever... Live as if you were to die today..
KCMax
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by KCMax »

You forgot to mention Pork Chop, that the Wizards announced they're playing at Arrowhead next year.

staubio
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by staubio »

KCMax wrote: You forgot to mention Pork Chop, that the Wizards announced they're playing at Arrowhead next year.
Well, not officially.

Press Release from the Wizards:

Earlier this week, the Wizards announced an exciting new joint venture with Kansas City Parks and Recreation. Within the month, we plan to break ground on a state-of-the-art training facility in Swope Park, a large and attraction-filled destination park in the heart of Kansas City. As we continue to make progress towards a world-class soccer-specific stadium, speculation continues to swirl around where the Wizards will play their home match inventory in 2007.

We appreciate the fact that the Kansas City community, including media outlets and Wizards fans, remain interested and involved in our process of finalizing a 2007 venue. We also value the dedication of our season ticket holders for remaining loyal throughout this period of uncertainty, and please be assured that we are actively working to finalize a ticketing plan that will best serve all Kansas City Wizards fans.

As has been reported, the organization recently learned that Arrowhead Stadium is a viable option as a 2007 venue. Recent reports have also linked the Wizards to Ray-Pec High School, Rockhurst High School, College Boulevard Activities Center, Truman High School, William Chrisman High School, and more. Out of respect for the process we have run around this crucial decision, we will not comment on any of these reports until we have an agreement in place with a facility.

We will announce the location of our 2007 venue after the Wizards practice on Tuesday, February 6th.
kard
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by kard »

From the Star article:
Wizards president Robb Heineman confirmed Thursday afternoon that OnGoal LLC, the Wizards’ owners, had agreed in principle to play at Arrowhead Stadium for the 2007 Major League Soccer season. The team will make an official announcement Tuesday.
Haikus are easy
But sometimes they don't make sense
Refrigerator
Pork Chop
Colonnade
Colonnade

Post by Pork Chop »

KCMax wrote: You forgot to mention Pork Chop, that the Wizards announced they're playing at Arrowhead next year.
I didn't want to stray from the subject of the Wizards locating the stadium at Bannister Mall in this thread. I was going to put the info of the Wizards playing at Arrowhead next year in the KC Sports section, but I didn't find an "Official: Wizards" thread.  I guess I should have just created one  :)
"People just repeat what everybody else says as a short cut to thinking." JTREG - BigSoccer Forum Member
SamPierron
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by SamPierron »

Just so you know...I work for the Wizards, and I'm happy to answer any questions you might have about the Swope Park project.  As for Bannister Mall or any other permanent stadium site...I can't comment in great detail about that, because I'd like to still have a job tomorrow.  It's one of several possibilities, all of which are quite exciting, but only time will tell which one becomes the future home of the team.  It suffices to say that everyone here is extremely confident about the team's future in KC. 
KCMax
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by KCMax »

When do you expect a decision on a permanent site to be made Sam?

tat2kc
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by tat2kc »

Hey Sam! I have a relative who also works for the wizards.
Are you sure we're talking about the same God here, because yours sounds kind of like a dick.
tjokskalle
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by tjokskalle »

Thats so silly! a stadium out there in crimeville?lol
the rubber on the wheel..is quicker than the rubber on the heel.
SamPierron
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by SamPierron »

KCMax wrote: When do you expect a decision on a permanent site to be made Sam?
I know better than to set a date on it.  It's an extremely complicated process...as you all, who follow development, know.  Everyone would be happiest if we announce a site in the next few months, preferably in time to have the stadium up and running for 09.  If that happens, great.  If not, it isn't the end of the world.
SamPierron
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by SamPierron »

tat2kc wrote: Hey Sam! I have a relative who also works for the wizards.
Not me, I presume.
QueSi2Opie
Bryant Building
Bryant Building
Location: Hangin' with the cons, crazies, and crackheads on 11th & Grand.

Post by QueSi2Opie »

tjokskalle wrote:   Thats so silly! a stadium out there in crimeville?lol
I hated the idea at first, but now I love it! Just imagine if they can build a soccer-specific stadium right off Bannister Road between the "V" of Highway 71 and Interstate 435?

1.) Easy Interstate access for soccer moms from Leawood, Overland Park, and Lee's Summit. 
2.) People in the Northland passing through downtown as they head south on 71. 
3.) People from Belton and Raymore heading up 71.
4.) Blue Springs and Western Independence residents connecting via 470.
5.) Maybe 10 minutes from downtown. 
6.) The Swope Park Soccer Training facility being only 5 minutes from the stadium. 
7.) Cerner's new facility being seconds from the stadium.
8.) A chance at rehabbing some of the surrounding area with new retail and restaurants.
9.) Targeting a new group of potential fans (African-Americans).
10.) Downtown skyline visible from ESPN blimp shots of the stadium.         
The Pendergast Poltergeist Project!

I finally divorced beer and proposed to whiskey, but I occassionally cheat with fine wine.
tat2kc
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by tat2kc »

itsn't there a lot of land available where the old HQ was? Just across Bannister from the Home Depot. Its not far from Bannsiter Mall, but the fact that its across 435 might lessen the feeling of being in a high crime area, as faulty as that assumption might be.  In addition, the incredibly easy acess to both 71, 435, and 470 would make it quickly accessible to a lot of the metro area.  Que is right, its  a location with a lot going for it.
Are you sure we're talking about the same God here, because yours sounds kind of like a dick.
HockeyPunkKC
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by HockeyPunkKC »

i love the idea of the mall location.  its perfect as far as location.