We need a new airport!!!

Transportation topics in KC
im2kull
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Re: We need a new airport!!!

Post by im2kull »

aknowledgeableperson wrote: The challenge the designers will face will be trying to maintain the features of what makes KCI an airport many travelers like. Can it be done? I think so if those designers do their work with the users needs and wants kept at the top of the list.
Money and profiteering is at the top of that list. It always has been, and always will be. We can all kiss customer satisfaction goodbye, it won't be back anytime soon..if ever.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

im2kull wrote:
KCI has won the award multiple times. Just an fyi.

How exactly is the airport "Limiting" non-stops for airlines? If they (The airlines) really wanted to add them, they would. Some of you people need to just wake up and realize that Kansas City no longer falls inside the top 25 most populated cities in America. We're lucky to have the air traffic that we do have.
This literally makes zero sense. We are lucky? We get the non-stops based on demand, not because the airlines just give them to us. KCI serves much more than just the KC Metro population. Southwest can't add more nonstops because they can't add more gates in B.

Your arguments for keeping KCI as is are really solid reasons....lol.
im2kull
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by im2kull »

KCPowercat wrote:We are lucky? We get the non-stops based on demand, not because the airlines just give them to us. KCI serves much more than just the KC Metro population. Southwest can't add more nonstops because they can't add more gates in B.

Your arguments for keeping KCI as is are really solid reasons....lol.
You just made my point. We get them based on demand, NOT on construction of a new terminal.

Last time I checked there were still PLENTY of gates in Terminal B NOT being used by Southwest. They CAN add more gates, as evidenced by the fact that they've added SW gates there multiple times before.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

I'm done. Circle arguments and non-factual information make this a worthless conversation. Prepare yourself for a new terminal.....little doubt it's coming.
aknowledgeableperson
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by aknowledgeableperson »

im2kull wrote:Last time I checked there were still PLENTY of gates in Terminal B NOT being used by Southwest. They CAN add more gates, as evidenced by the fact that they've added SW gates there multiple times before.
Those gates are under the control of other airlines and the airlines control them via a contract. So, until those airlines give up control of those gates SW cannot add to its gate numbers.
im2kull
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by im2kull »

aknowledgeableperson wrote: Those gates are under the control of other airlines and the airlines control them via a contract. So, until those airlines give up control of those gates SW cannot add to its gate numbers.
I would agree, except for the fact that there exists many unused gates at the airport. Fill them up!
mean
Administrator
Administrator

Post by mean »

Can't fill them up when transfers require an exit and re-entry into the secured area, or worse, travel to another terminal.
im2kull
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by im2kull »

mean wrote:Can't fill them up when transfers require an exit and re-entry into the secured area, or worse, travel to another terminal.
Happens in Dallas, Happens in Paris. Happens all over the place. I really don't see why everyone cries about the security deal so much. It's only a true inconvenience if you're a complete dumb ass, or an impatient prick. Not to mention that it's a common problem, at airports all over the world.
mean
Administrator
Administrator

Post by mean »

Wake me up when we're Dallas or Paris.
earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by earthling »

mean wrote:Wake me up when we're Dallas or Paris.
Put me to sleep if KC becomes Dallas. KC doesn't need to aspire to be another city, just move forward with its own vibe.
mean
Administrator
Administrator

Post by mean »

I think you missed my point.
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

salt lake just announced they are completely razing and rebuilding their airport.
coreyo
New York Life
New York Life

Post by coreyo »

Airport spokeswoman Barbara Gann says the project wouldn't require taxpayer dollars and would be funded through passenger charges, rental car fees and contributions from airline companies.
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

they will get federal taxpayer money. all airports do.
aknowledgeableperson
City Center Square
City Center Square

In reviewing the data put out by the FAA The Airport and Airway Trust Fund has not received general fund tax revenues since at least 1998. Revenue sources have been:
Transportion of persons and property
Use of international air facilities
Aviation fuel taxes
Interest on investments
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

i'm quite sure that's just operations, a fact many airports love to tout. if you go to slide 28 of this presentation, however, it says $238 million in federal grants are a "source of funds for terminal redevelopment and capital improvement".

http://www.slcclassic.com/links/airport.pdf
aknowledgeableperson
City Center Square
City Center Square

That is 11% of the projected cost and that comes from AIP and TSA grants. What is AIP?

Doesn't say what that 11% covers.
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Post by GRID »

So I flew into ATL airport this weekend. I have had some bad experiences with that place. On the flight back to BWI, I got to ATL 2.5 hours early to avoid having a problem catching the flight on time. And we had to check bags.

Rental car return was a snap, there was no wait for baggage check and they take your bag! (they don't give them back to you so you can drag it back through the line and throw it in a pile like KCI) and we walked right through security with no wait, not one person, and then had to kill over two hours of time. I generally cut things close at airports. Most airports only need about 5-10 minutes more time than KCI but didn't want to risk it at ATL. I have learned to cut things close because I was so used to flying out of KCI and HATED spending more than ten minutes at KCI, but some airports didn't allow that.

But there was no wait.

I'm starting see a trend here. Even the humongous world airports like LAX and ATL seem to have cut security waits down to nothing. It took me longer to get through security at KCI the last time I flew there than ATL! BWI is always about a 3 minute wait. I was in Vegas a couple of weeks ago. No wait.

It seems like most airports have adjusted and figured out a way to deal with post 9-11 security screening and when airports like ATL are not the hassle they used to be, then airports the size of KCI should be a total breeze.

So while we had over 2 hours to wait, the time went fast because we could at least wonder around, shop, eat, even grab a train to another concourse. I took a smoothie on the plane! Bathrooms that don't feel like you are using the bathroom at the back of a 7-11. Things unheard of at KCI.

My point here is that airports are modernizing and adapting to the new security issues and new airports like Indy are amazingly convenient yet have all the bells and whistles that make airports more user friendly, easy to spend time (and money) in and are far more friendly to connecting passengers.

It will be so nice when KC gets a new modern terminal.

BTW. The new international terminal at ATL is about to open. It looks awesome. It has a freaking mall inside it. I know, who needs a mall at an airport? Well, ATL is busy enough to support one. I think just having a Panera Bread or something would be amazing for KCI. Guess who helps pay for such new projects? People flying out of KCI. It's time for KC to get some of that money back that has been going to other cities.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

Look at that horse....it looks dead, lets beat it. :)