GO ROYALS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Can't get enough of sports even on a development board? Get your fix here. Expect heavy moderation on smack talk.
bobbyhawks
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Re: GO ROYALS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Post by bobbyhawks »

KCRoyal wrote:The team signed one of their core players to a long-term contract, but it isn't Gordon or Hosmer.

Salvador Perez agreed to a five-year deal with 3 club options keeping him in KC potentially through 2019. The five guranteed years are worth $7 mil, but the whole contract including the options can be worth up over $26 mil.

Great signing by the team. Lock up a potential great player in a key position. Can't remember the last time if at all, a player as young and with little experience in the big leagues as Salvy does got a long term deal with KC. Good for him, good for the Royals. Now let's lock up Gordo and Hoz!
Definitely a great deal. 3 club options = win almost every time. Now, we will have to extend an offer or a lot more than 5 years to even consider Hosmer, and we can't afford to wait through this season. If he has a really good year and we haven't signed him to an extension, we can almost certainly kiss him goodbye. He will be more expensive than Longoria.
KCRoyal
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by KCRoyal »

bobbyhawks wrote:
KCRoyal wrote:The team signed one of their core players to a long-term contract, but it isn't Gordon or Hosmer.

Salvador Perez agreed to a five-year deal with 3 club options keeping him in KC potentially through 2019. The five guranteed years are worth $7 mil, but the whole contract including the options can be worth up over $26 mil.

Great signing by the team. Lock up a potential great player in a key position. Can't remember the last time if at all, a player as young and with little experience in the big leagues as Salvy does got a long term deal with KC. Good for him, good for the Royals. Now let's lock up Gordo and Hoz!
Definitely a great deal. 3 club options = win almost every time. Now, we will have to extend an offer or a lot more than 5 years to even consider Hosmer, and we can't afford to wait through this season. If he has a really good year and we haven't signed him to an extension, we can almost certainly kiss him goodbye. He will be more expensive than Longoria.
No doubt. If I were a betting man, my gut tells me something will happen around...July or August with Hosmer. Or at least I hope. [-o<
KCMax
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by KCMax »

I don't see Hosmer signing. He already got a chunk of change in the draft, and he can sit back and gamble that he'll be a stud and look for a big payday six years from now.

I do think they sign Gordon eventually - hope it happens before the season though because I think he could have a huge year.

This Perez deal - no brainer that its a great deal. At the very worst, you have a terrific defensive backup catcher for the market rate. At the very best you're paying way under market value for a Kurt Suzuki or even Yadier Molina-type catcher for the next eight years. Awesome to see that kind of commitment from both sides.
mean
Administrator
Administrator

Post by mean »

What do you guys think it would take to keep Hosmer?
KCMax
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by KCMax »

mean wrote:What do you guys think it would take to keep Hosmer?
Some ether and a nice warm spot in my basement.

Wait, what?
bobbyhawks
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by bobbyhawks »

mean wrote:What do you guys think it would take to keep Hosmer?
Info that would let us blackmail Scott Boras. Boras will tell him to pass up every offer from the Royals because he would rather shoot the moon with every player, knowing a few of them will land mega contracts, than make sure all of his guys get locked down for quality contracts now.
mean
Administrator
Administrator

Post by mean »

So basically, the one year 2012 deal is a "look what I can do!" so he can get a big offer from New York or Boston or whatever? That's shitty. I would hope Hosmer would have more class than that, regardless of what Boras advised.
pash
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by pash »

Last edited by pash on Fri Feb 03, 2017 9:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
bobbyhawks
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by bobbyhawks »

Here is a great explanation of what the Royals are looking at with Hosmer.
http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2012/01/e ... osmer.html

You hate to see some guys leave when they are choosing between $210 million with a new team over $200 million with their original team, but you also can't fault a guy for turning down $50 million now because he could get $150 million in three or four years.
KCMax
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by KCMax »

mean wrote:So basically, the one year 2012 deal is a "look what I can do!" so he can get a big offer from New York or Boston or whatever? That's shitty. I would hope Hosmer would have more class than that, regardless of what Boras advised.
No matter what happens, the Royals have the rights to Hosmer until the 2017 season.
mean
Administrator
Administrator

Post by mean »

That's reassuring. I was under the impression, for some reason, that he was going to be an FA after 2012.
grovester
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by grovester »

mean wrote:That's reassuring. I was under the impression, for some reason, that he was going to be an FA after 2012.
Think you mean Gordon, who just signed a 1 year, but they're hoping to get a multi-year done.
mean
Administrator
Administrator

Post by mean »

Yeah, I haven't been following things very closely. I may have gotten Gordon and Hosmer's contract situations messed up.
grovester
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by grovester »

KCRoyal
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by KCRoyal »

grovester wrote:Perez injured, bummer.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/46737087/ns ... s_city_mo/
Now a week later, Soria is experiencing 'elbow pains'. Tommy John is a real possibility. This is a big loss, but unlike the catcher situation, we have some options taking Jack's place. Holland, Crow and Broxton (if healthy) seem to be the frontrunners for that spot.
smh
Supporter

Post by smh »

KCRoyal wrote:
grovester wrote:Perez injured, bummer.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/46737087/ns ... s_city_mo/
Now a week later, Soria is experiencing 'elbow pains'. Tommy John is a real possibility. This is a big loss, but unlike the catcher situation, we have some options taking Jack's place. Holland, Crow and Broxton (if healthy) seem to be the frontrunners for that spot.
Definitely. Rany said it best: Soria's injury is more of an emotional blow to the organization/fan base, whereas Perez's is likely to have more of an actual impact on the season.

Soria is awesome, but I do think he's pitched his last game for the Royals, unfortunately.
AllThingsKC
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by AllThingsKC »

KCMax
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by KCMax »

AllThingsKC
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by AllThingsKC »

I hate that it's Opening Day, and I have to wait until 9:05pm for the game to start. Plus, the Royals will be on the West Coast all week. I hate it when they play on the West Coast!

Screw you, West Coast! You guys are always ruining sports for everybody else.
smh
Supporter

Post by smh »

AllThingsKC wrote:I hate that it's Opening Day, and I have to wait until 9:05pm for the game to start. Plus, the Royals will be on the West Coast all week. I hate it when they play on the West Coast!

Screw you, West Coast! You guys are always ruining sports for everybody else.
I'm just glad they're getting this West Coast trip out of the way first thing. Seems like the last couple of seasons they haven't had much luck when they go to California. Let's get it over and done.