World Cup 2026 at Arrowhead?

Can't get enough of sports even on a development board? Get your fix here. Expect heavy moderation on smack talk.
kboish
Hotel President
Hotel President

Re: World Cup 2026 at Arrowhead?

Post by kboish »

earthling wrote: Thu Jun 16, 2022 5:23 pm According to ESPN, KC will get...

Round of World Cup games: quarterfinal, third-round game

https://www.espn.com/soccer/fifa-world- ... -16-venues
This is not what espn thinks the city will get. It is the games the city bid requested. So we may get one of those. Id be surprised if we got both
KCtoBrooklyn
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by KCtoBrooklyn »

Actually, I think I read wrong. 80 total matches, including knockout rounds. So an average of five matches per city, but I assume KC may come up on the short end of that I'm probably get four (3 group stage, one knockout)
earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by earthling »

kboish wrote: Thu Jun 16, 2022 6:51 pm
earthling wrote: Thu Jun 16, 2022 5:23 pm According to ESPN, KC will get...

Round of World Cup games: quarterfinal, third-round game

https://www.espn.com/soccer/fifa-world- ... -16-venues
This is not what espn thinks the city will get. It is the games the city bid requested. So we may get one of those. Id be surprised if we got both
That makes more sense as it doesn't seem even FIFA committee has decided yet.
AlkaliAxel
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by AlkaliAxel »

Well done, well done. What makes this even sweeter is we were the only chosen in the entire Midwest & really the entire non-coastal part of the country. That's amazing.

Here's my hot take: I think this will get the wheels rolling on getting the Royals downtown. I also think that it's going to give the Royals a window where the citizens are more open to move the stadium because FIFA just validated KC, and the realization is setting in that we need to big boy things now. I really do think we have a window here to get city support for big projects like this, and I bet you anything the Royals want this done by 2026 even more fervently now.
beautyfromashes
One Park Place
One Park Place

Post by beautyfromashes »

Not to move past the celebration too quickly, but what are the projects that we will immediately see traction as part of getting these games. Not all will be directly affecting the game experience, but it seems the city (and state!) will want to put their best foot forward. I’d like to see: North Loop development, GreenLine, O’Neil bridge park and Current arena money and tons of hotels. I also think this cements KC as passing St Louis as the focus city for the state. This means more MoDOT funds, political influence where not all our state leaders come from the other side of the state and we have equality for federal funding requests. It’s time for KC to take the place we really have deserved for a long time.
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

Last edited by normalthings on Thu Jun 16, 2022 10:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

Amazing day. Congrats KC.
Cratedigger
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by Cratedigger »

beautyfromashes wrote: Thu Jun 16, 2022 7:29 pm Not to move past the celebration too quickly, but what are the projects that we will immediately see traction as part of getting these games. Not all will be directly affecting the game experience, but it seems the city (and state!) will want to put their best foot forward. I’d like to see: North Loop development, GreenLine, O’Neil bridge park and Current arena money and tons of hotels. I also think this cements KC as passing St Louis as the focus city for the state. This means more MoDOT funds, political influence where not all our state leaders come from the other side of the state and we have equality for federal funding requests. It’s time for KC to take the place we really have deserved for a long time.
A South Loop acceleration, Greenline continuing to progress, and the saving of the old Buck O'Neil Bridge for a park would be great and I could see each being there in 4 years. I'd worry would be the city spreading themselves too thin though. Focus on encouraging development, a regional transit plan (that hopefully is more than just Summer 2026) and making the city more pedestrian centric.

North Loop would be great but I'd rather the focus be on catalytic projects that can be completed by 2026. Even completing the South Loop Cap by the World Cup is aggressive. Is funding even in place for that?
Cratedigger
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by Cratedigger »

Beautiful
Anthony_Hugo98
Penntower
Penntower

Post by Anthony_Hugo98 »

freedog wrote: Thu Jun 16, 2022 8:36 pm Image

Beautiful
Missing a C for San Fran
earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by earthling »

Not to diminish this is truly a big deal for KC but NYC was picked as well and NY Times posted the news well down home page in the 'more news' section.
WoodDraw
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by WoodDraw »

We were talking at the event that I wish Nashville would have won. That would have set up a better corridor with us.

For fans, that West coast is amazing.

KC, Houston, Dallas, Atlanta 😬😬
WoodDraw
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by WoodDraw »

earthling wrote: Thu Jun 16, 2022 8:40 pm Not to diminish this is truly a big deal for KC but NYC was picked as well and NY Times posted the news well down home page in the 'more news' section.
It was already known they would host. They also did a significant amount of their live shots from NYC with huge crowds.

Guessing you just didn't watch.
beautyfromashes
One Park Place
One Park Place

normalthings wrote: Thu Jun 16, 2022 8:23 pm This event will mark the final hurrah at Arrowhead.
So, Arrowhead version2 is almost complete in 4 years? What else does the WC incentivize to begin so completed by the time the games start?
AlkaliAxel
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by AlkaliAxel »

This is just an incredible look for the city. Incredible look. I don’t think there’s much more you can do than this.

I guess Montagliani wasn’t full of shit when he said “it’s about the size of your heart!”
kboish
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by kboish »

WoodDraw wrote: Thu Jun 16, 2022 8:48 pm
earthling wrote: Thu Jun 16, 2022 8:40 pm Not to diminish this is truly a big deal for KC but NYC was picked as well and NY Times posted the news well down home page in the 'more news' section.
It was already known they would host. They also did a significant amount of their live shots from NYC with huge crowds.

Guessing you just didn't watch.
Not only was it known they will host, it is assumed they will host the finals.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

freedog wrote: Thu Jun 16, 2022 8:35 pm
beautyfromashes wrote: Thu Jun 16, 2022 7:29 pm Not to move past the celebration too quickly, but what are the projects that we will immediately see traction as part of getting these games. Not all will be directly affecting the game experience, but it seems the city (and state!) will want to put their best foot forward. I’d like to see: North Loop development, GreenLine, O’Neil bridge park and Current arena money and tons of hotels. I also think this cements KC as passing St Louis as the focus city for the state. This means more MoDOT funds, political influence where not all our state leaders come from the other side of the state and we have equality for federal funding requests. It’s time for KC to take the place we really have deserved for a long time.
A South Loop acceleration, Greenline continuing to progress, and the saving of the old Buck O'Neil Bridge for a park would be great and I could see each being there in 4 years. I'd worry would be the city spreading themselves too thin though. Focus on encouraging development, a regional transit plan (that hopefully is more than just Summer 2026) and making the city more pedestrian centric.

North Loop would be great but I'd rather the focus be on catalytic projects that can be completed by 2026. Even completing the South Loop Cap by the World Cup is aggressive. Is funding even in place for that?
North loop won't happen for 24 years
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

WoodDraw wrote: Thu Jun 16, 2022 8:46 pm We were talking at the event that I wish Nashville would have won. That would have set up a better corridor with us.

For fans, that West coast is amazing.

KC, Houston, Dallas, Atlanta 😬😬

What? There is no pity for Nashville here. Imagine how many people post here about how many cranes they have versus us. Them catching up to us doesn't give them a world cup.
TheLastGentleman
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by TheLastGentleman »

KCPowercat wrote: Thu Jun 16, 2022 10:46 pmNorth loop won't happen for 24 years
Then we need to stop the new broadway bridge ASAP
beautyfromashes
One Park Place
One Park Place

KCPowercat wrote: Thu Jun 16, 2022 10:46 pm
North loop won't happen for 24 years
Seems pretty optimistic for you! Having North Loop removed in 24 months should give some time to show some good development in time for WC.