OFFICIAL - Buck O'Neil Bridge

Transportation topics in KC
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Re: New Broadway Bridge

Post by flyingember »

$10 million per year is roughly the cost of 4 miles of rail paid without federal funding.

That really shows the cost of maintaining things.
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

It seems that it's always easier to get money to build things (and that's never easy); but harder to get the money to maintain them once built.
Rabble
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by Rabble »

Are you guys suggesting the maintenance on a bridge used by bikes and pedestrians would be the same as one used by trucks and cars?
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by flyingember »

Rabble wrote: Wed Jan 27, 2021 2:17 pm Are you guys suggesting the maintenance on a bridge used by bikes and pedestrians would be the same as one used by trucks and cars?
damage from the elements, yes

damage from weight, no
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

flyingember wrote: Wed Jan 27, 2021 2:57 pm
Rabble wrote: Wed Jan 27, 2021 2:17 pm Are you guys suggesting the maintenance on a bridge used by bikes and pedestrians would be the same as one used by trucks and cars?

damage from weight, no
I completely forgot about Wes's posts about the bridge pier erosion. Big money will be needed to counteract the erosion and undercutting that has happened around the piers.
Rabble
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by Rabble »

normalthings wrote: Wed Jan 27, 2021 3:03 pm
flyingember wrote: Wed Jan 27, 2021 2:57 pm

damage from weight, no
I completely forgot about Wes's posts about the bridge pier erosion. Big money will be needed to counteract the erosion and undercutting that has happened around the piers.
I'm not finding Wes's posts.
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

These are some great infographics that Wes and the consultants put together about the selected alternative.

I really wish that the ramps and things would be better coordinated with the north loop removal. That way we could get around these massive flyovers.

Here is a KCUR article that mentions the erosion problem. I am looking for his posts and things on the topic. Wes is a very active tweeter and blogger so it is hard to go back and find his specific posts.

https://www.kcur.org/government/2017-04 ... eil-bridge
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by flyingember »

normalthings wrote: Wed Jan 27, 2021 3:29 pm

I really wish that the ramps and things would be better coordinated with the north loop removal. That way we could get around these massive flyovers.
It's hard to tell without elevations but that might be the grade difference from the bridge and I-35 on the west loop where there's room to add an exit. That the ramps are not because of I-70 but would be the height regardless
beautyfromashes
One Park Place
One Park Place

Post by beautyfromashes »

The streetcar line is only 3 blocks away. We can't use this for our river crossing to NKC?
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

beautyfromashes wrote: Wed Jan 27, 2021 5:26 pm The streetcar line is only 3 blocks away. We can't use this for our river crossing to NKC?
How would you get to NKC
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by flyingember »

beautyfromashes wrote: Wed Jan 27, 2021 5:26 pm The streetcar line is only 3 blocks away. We can't use this for our river crossing to NKC?
The streetcar line is only 3 blocks from the HOA bridge too

More critically, Burlington is ~ten blocks away from Broadway on the wrong side of two at grade rail crossings but zero blocks away from the HOA bridge

It would be a really stupid place to put a crossing
Major KC Fan
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by Major KC Fan »

I agree the HOA bridge is much closer to a better mix of retail, residential (with more planned) and closer to a future N Oak extension to Gladstone. That said, the Buck O’Neill bridge could still be a good connection for pedestrian & trails to link up with the Wheeler Downtown Airport and any future Harlem development. What a great skyline view from mid-rise housing that could put parking garages up to the levee level where the mid-rise would go. And link it all with a top of levee trail. Just a dream.
beautyfromashes
One Park Place
One Park Place

normalthings wrote: Wed Jan 27, 2021 5:33 pm
How would you get to NKC
Port Authority would develop the north side of the riverfront with streetcar running through. The point is that if you have an existing bridge that could be used now for pedestrian and streetcar service it’s best to use it instead of waiting for a bridge to be built that might never come.
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

https://www.modot.org/node/21870

The winning contractor had to meet or exceed several goals, which included: providing a direct connection between US Route 169 to Interstate 35, building a new bridge that can be reasonably maintained and will provide a century of service, and while also minimizing the impact to the travelling public during construction.
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by flyingember »

beautyfromashes wrote: Wed Jan 27, 2021 9:57 pm
How would you get to NKC
Port Authority would develop the north side of the riverfront with streetcar running through. The point is that if you have an existing bridge that could be used now for pedestrian and streetcar service it’s best to use it instead of waiting for a bridge to be built that might never come.
Port Authority doesn't own the north riverfront.

So how exactly are they expected to develop it?

And again, why not use the existing bridge that is cheaper and easier to cross on without any at-grade rail crossings?
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

flyingember wrote: Wed Feb 03, 2021 4:23 pm
beautyfromashes wrote: Wed Jan 27, 2021 9:57 pm

How would you get to NKC

And again, why not use the existing bridge that is cheaper and easier to cross on without any at-grade rail crossings?
It can take over an hour to get from Harlem to NKC "directly." Broadway to Harlem and Harlem to NKC at grade is not viable for any mode of transportation.
beautyfromashes
One Park Place
One Park Place

normalthings wrote: Wed Feb 03, 2021 4:52 pm It can take over an hour to get from Harlem to NKC "directly." Broadway to Harlem and Harlem to NKC at grade is not viable for any mode of transportation.
Ok, you have to show me your map on that one. Walking along the levee on the north side of the Missouri from O'Neil to HOA probably takes 10 mintues. Also, I'm surprised the levee isn't owned by the Port Authority. Who owns it? It was also my understanding that the HOA was not sufficient from an engineering perspective to hold the streetcar and would have to be part of a replacement. If it is available, it would of course make the best connection. If not, I'd prefer not to wait for someone to build an additional bridge just for the streetcar. It wouldn't likely be done in my lifetime and a reused O'Neil would be available immediately.
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

beautyfromashes wrote: Wed Feb 03, 2021 5:04 pm
normalthings wrote: Wed Feb 03, 2021 4:52 pm It can take over an hour to get from Harlem to NKC "directly." Broadway to Harlem and Harlem to NKC at grade is not viable for any mode of transportation.
Ok, you have to show me your map on that one. Walking along the levee on the north side of the Missouri from O'Neil to HOA probably takes 10 mintues. Also, I'm surprised the levee isn't owned by the Port Authority. Who owns it? It was also my understanding that the HOA was not sufficient from an engineering perspective to hold the streetcar and would have to be part of a replacement. If it is available, it would of course make the best connection. If not, I'd prefer not to wait for someone to build an additional bridge just for the streetcar. It wouldn't likely be done in my lifetime and a reused O'Neil would be available immediately.
There is a single street that connects the two (Atlantic) that connects 5 independent tracks. It takes a lifetime to cross and I have spent an hour+ attempting in a car alongside the pedestrians and cyclists that pile up.

Northrail studied adding a single streetcar lane to the HOA and that worked well. I believe the "issue" is that you would need to add on to the bridge if you wanted a second streetcar lane without taking away driving or bike lanes.
TheLastGentleman
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by TheLastGentleman »

You could build a short viaduct over the tracks
beautyfromashes
One Park Place
One Park Place

So, O’Neil is probably the last bridge crossing that will be replaced in at least the next 50 years. It seems the options are:
1. Add one lane streetcar on HOA with cars having to wait for crossing if car coming the other direction. No bike or pedestrian lanes.
2. Use existing ONeil for streetcar, bike and pedestrian taking streetcar out of the way causing slower speeds but perhaps development of north riverfront. Available now.
3. Try to convince federal government to fund new crossing for streetcar. Very unlikely.