2010 - 2011 College Football Season

Can't get enough of sports even on a development board? Get your fix here. Expect heavy moderation on smack talk.
KCMax
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: 2010 - 2011 College Football Season

Post by KCMax »

bobbyhawks wrote: In my opinion, it would not be very smart to take that job in a move from another BCS coaching position.  Guys like Gruden, even, would be better served waiting for another job.  SI rips OSU's program a new one in their upcoming issue's article.  While Tressel will be blamed for as much as OSU can shill off on him, the problems with the program were both systemic and endemic.  Any coach that comes into that position will face sanctions which will include reduced scholarships, intense scrutiny over compliance issues, follow-up investigations, and potential future restrictions that have not yet been established.  Unless you are confident enough to face a Big 10 (12) with the addition of Nebraska, sans a few scholarships and with a potential post-season ban hanging over the program, not to mention the wrath of an entire state of angry fans with high standards, it doesn't seem like the best of opportunities.  I would think that Ohio State would best be served by going after a young coach with high upside, unless they can attract someone who only wants to coach for four or five years anyway.  Even then, who wants to risk the possibility of being Chapter 3 in the disgraced OSU coach departures novel?
I tend to agree. It will likely be a more understated hire - kinda like Tressel, who they plucked from I-AA Youngstown State.

One comment I saw was that it would be ironic if OSU decided to hire Chris Peterson at Boise or Gary Patterson at TCU considering that OSU President Gordon Gee ripped those schools for not playing as tough a schedule as the BCS schools.
SAVE THE PLAZA - FROM ZOMBIES! Find out how at:

http://twitter.com/TheKCRag