Re: Kansas, Missouri battle over companies

Post by KCPowercat »

http://downtownkcmo.blogspot.com

Tweeting live from Big 12 tournament @downtownkc
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

Not sure where to stick this but walking in this morning I saw a bumper sticker parked downtown that I would swore was grids car other wasn't in dc. It said.

"Kansas City - Less Kansas More City"

Thought it was pretty funny. Not sure if it was a request or a statement of fact.

warwickland
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by warwickland »

The comments on that are interesting. I like the one that basically asks why we [JoCo] are offering incentives in the first place if JoCo is so overwhelmingly better for a business to locate in than the other 60% of the metro (or whatever) in Missouri.

The comments about the belief by some people JoCo becoming "ghetto" north of 435 are interesting too. I don't know JoCo very well, but is there really any blight in JoCo? Or are people in that part of Kansas so used to brand new infrastructure that any normal degredation of anything is a shocker (or the sight of a minority). I guess Creve Coeur (St. Louis County) where my office is would be a class 1 slum (whatever that is) to them. That mentality is extremely toxic and dysfunctional.
kcmetro
One Park Place
One Park Place

Post by kcmetro »

warwickland wrote: The comments on that are interesting. I like the one that basically asks why we [JoCo] are offering incentives in the first place if JoCo is so overwhelmingly better for a business to locate in than the other 60% of the metro (or whatever) in Missouri.

The comments about JoCo becoming "ghetto" north of 435 are interesting too. I don't know JoCo very well, but is there really any blight in JoCo? Or are people in that part of Kansas so used to brand new infrastructure that any normal degredation of anything is a shocker (or the sight of a minority). I guess Creve Coeur would be too ghetto for them.
A little peeling paint on a house and it's deemed ghetto by many.  There really isn't any blight in northern JOCO to speak of.  I think people are just used to everything being brand new and shiny south of 435.
chingon
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by chingon »

kcmetro wrote: A little peeling paint on a house and it's deemed ghetto by many.  There really isn't any blight in northern JOCO to speak of.  I think people are just used to everything being brand new and shiny south of 435.
It's not even a question of peeling paint. Many, many new construction neighborhoods in S. JoCo already show the overwhelming cheapness and shoddiness of their construction. Few materials age worse than pre-cast stucco and T111 siding. What people mean when they say JoCo north of 435 is ghetto is that the home designs are now dated, lack amenities people have come to believe are necessities, and are considered too small. Actual home maintenance looks considerably better North of 435 than in the "neighborhoods" built in the last 20 years out there.
tacitus
Parking Garage
Parking Garage

Post by tacitus »

warwickland wrote: The comments about the belief by some people JoCo becoming "ghetto" north of 435 are interesting too. I don't know JoCo very well, but is there really any blight in JoCo? Or are people in that part of Kansas so used to brand new infrastructure that any normal degredation of anything is a shocker (or the sight of a minority).
I had written one of the comments (and promptly forgot about it). I did not use the word "blight", or "ghetto" but there are several areas inside the 435 loop which are being neglected. When I wrote that, I was thinking back to some of the early 50s housing stock I'd seen in parts of prairie village. I'd also seen a little bit of it in northern overland park. (cracked curbs, broken driveways, roofs that should have been replaced years ago and probably leaking, etc). It's sort of frustrating, because if I did choose to live in JoCo, it would no doubt be in the northeast parts.

I think it also illustrates that it isn't exclusively the schools that JoCo people enjoy (as they often claim) - it's more the bragging rights to live in the new "deere creek run" exclusive subdivision (or whatever they're named) with houses starting in the $300k range. Which brings me to the other comment I'd made: It's absolutely true, none of the JoCo people I work with would never consider going (much less living!) north of 95th street. They cite these intricate, entangled -- but mostly fabricated stereotypes of the people, businesses and housing that exist in "that area". It occurs to me that perhaps these opinions are bolstered as psychological justification for paying such inflated prices for McMansions outside of the 435 loop?

Anyway, mostly I really dislike Steve Rose ... and I couldn't bear to let him get away with such cheap cheerleading, brought to us by the Kansas City Star.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

Kind of a "duh" article but good to see it published:

http://www.bizjournals.com/kansascity/p ... rodes.html

Highlander
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by Highlander »

I thought I'd congratulate Applebee's on their recent announcement regarding moving back into KCMO by patronizing one of their restaurants (while en route to KC last week).  I think I will need to take back everything nice I said about this chain and I am not sure being KC based is enough to ever get me back into one of their locations.  The food, at least mine, was just not edible.  I paid my $10 dollars complained a bit, to no avail, and left an unhappy customer.  I am happy they have moved to KCMO but if my recent sampling is any indication, I have to wonder how long for the world this place could be.

Regarding another KC transfer, I spoke with a Key Bank employee (they have just completed their move to JoCo) recently, and they suggested that most employees would have much rather have stayed downtown than move to JoCo. 
smh
Supporter

Post by smh »

Highlander wrote: Regarding another KC transfer, I spoke with a Key Bank employee (they have just completed their move to JoCo) recently, and they suggested that most employees would have much rather have stayed downtown than move to JoCo. 
I have heard this a few times.

I have a buddy who lives in West Plaza and he is not pleased to be commuting to the Sprint Campus.
"It's only when you leave Kansas City do you realize truly how great a city it is. ... If you have to go away, go away for a while. You'll be back. And when you come back, bring your ideas and willingness to make Kansas City the best."- Sly James
KCMax
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by KCMax »

Special session of the MO Legis begins today with tax incentives to combat state line poaching to be a major topic.

http://20poundsofheadlines.wordpress.co ... -fires-up/
KCMax
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by KCMax »

Premier Beverage to open new Overland Park regional headquarters
Premier Beverage Inc. is closing its administrative and sales offices in Kansas City and Lenexa, and consolidating those operations in a new regional headquarters at 5200 Metcalf Ave. in Overland Park.

The 122 administrative, sales, marketing and other office workers now at 14320 W. 101st Terrace in Lenexa and 6201 Stillwell St. in Kansas City will be relocated to Overland Park. The investment in the new regional office on Metcalf amounts to $2.7 million, according to a statement released Thursday.
KC Sporting Life
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by KC Sporting Life »

I heard some very discouraging words last night, sounds like AMC will definitely be moving to Corporate Woods. They're also headed into a legal battle with Cordish over the Main Street theater. not good.
tacitus
Parking Garage
Parking Garage

Post by tacitus »

smh wrote: I have heard this a few times.

I have a buddy who lives in West Plaza and he is not pleased to be commuting to the Sprint Campus.
I resemble this remark. What's more, I used to work at the 2330 Shawnee Mission Pkway site (then, world headquarters.. now, KU Med), where I could walk to work. Now, I have to drive to 119th and Nall... and people call it progress.
chingon
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by chingon »

Tell your boss, not an anonymous group of netnurbannerds.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

KC Sporting Life wrote:I heard some very discouraging words last night, sounds like AMC will definitely be moving to Corporate Woods. They're also headed into a legal battle with Cordish over the Main Street theater. not good.
Depressing.
Highlander
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by Highlander »

KCPowercat wrote:
KC Sporting Life wrote:I heard some very discouraging words last night, sounds like AMC will definitely be moving to Corporate Woods. They're also headed into a legal battle with Cordish over the Main Street theater. not good.
Depressing.
What's going on in the thread just below this one needs to hurry up and make some impact.
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

KCPowercat wrote:
Depressing.

What is the legal battle over? Back rent? Renegotiated rent?
KC Sporting Life
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by KC Sporting Life »

I don't believe it has anything to do with rent. They're 50/50 partners in the operation; AMC handles the theaters and Cordish the bar and food. They're not playing nice together and AMC wants full control. Looks like they're headed to arbitration to negotiate dissolving that relationship.
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

States rethinking tax credits as job creation tool

http://www.nbcactionnews.com/dpp/news/s ... ation-tool
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

AMC to Park Place.