Poll: Power & Light District Dress Code

Come here for discussion about the new downtown entertainment district.

Do you support the dress code in the Live! block?

Yes
79%
No
21%

Total votes: 111

KCPowercat
Ambassador

Re: Poll: Power & Light District Dress Code

Post by KCPowercat »

an arm of cordish owns mosaic, shark bar, tengo sed, pizza bar, rock bar, pbr bar....this is pretty common knowledge

I got denied entry to a westport bar years ago because of an untucked shirt that wasn't supposed to be tucked....its their dress code, every dress code is left up to bouncer disgression....as long as their decision making isn't based on darkness of skin, that's their right to enforce....yes?
http://downtownkcmo.blogspot.com

Tweeting live from Big 12 tournament @downtownkc
AJoD
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by AJoD »

loftguy wrote:
ajod, I don't mean to be inflammatory, but to provide perspective.

There was a time when we could have said, "couldn't they just sit at the back of the bus?"
Yikes, I didn't mean it like that.  If whites were allowed in with untucked shirts and blacks weren't, than of course that's a big problem.

But I've been told I couldn't enter a place with an untucked shirt, then I tucked it in and I went it.  Not a big deal.
chrizow
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by chrizow »

AJoD wrote: But I've been told I couldn't enter a place with an untucked shirt, then I tucked it in and I went it.  Not a big deal.
im2kull
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by im2kull »

KCPowercat wrote: ...as long as their decision making isn't based on darkness of skin, that's their right to enforce....yes?
Haven't you heard the news...EVERYTHING is about race nowadays!

I agree, what a joke :lol:
What's graciously given to KC, is strong for the region as a whole.  Passion and benevolence will one day exeem towards all whom know true adoration.  We shall triumph to better the community as One within
THINK (ONE) KC.
KCMax
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by KCMax »

AJoD wrote: Yikes, I didn't mean it like that.  If whites were allowed in with untucked shirts and blacks weren't, than of course that's a big problem.

But I've been told I couldn't enter a place with an untucked shirt, then I tucked it in and I went it.  Not a big deal.
From what I have read, they were denied access even after they tucked their shirt in. I can't recall where I read that though, so take it with a grain of salt.
SAVE THE PLAZA - FROM ZOMBIES! Find out how at:

http://twitter.com/TheKCRag
chrizow
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by chrizow »

im2kull wrote: Haven't you heard the news...EVERYTHING is about race nowadays!

I agree, what a joke :lol:
you've really proven yourself to be a trusted voice on race relations in america.  :lol:
Jess
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by Jess »

AJoD wrote: But I've been told I couldn't enter a place with an untucked shirt, then I tucked it in and I went it.  Not a big deal.
According to the articles I've read, access was denied because a dude in their party had an untucked shirt.  Dude tucked in said shirt, access still denied.  No reason given. Allegedly similarly dressed/untucked white folks allowed in while family's access barred.

Individual businesses obviously have every right in the world to maintain the dress code of their choosing.  But if you're going to apply adherence to it inconsistently, and if that inconsistency gives the appearance of being correlated to ethnicity, obviously you're going to have trouble.  P&L brought this on itself. Train your staff to apply your dress code rules consistently, and you open the door for none of this.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

Do you honestly think Cordish is training their staff to not allow in people of color?  Have people gone completely insane?

Jess
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by Jess »

KCPowercat wrote: Do you honestly think Cordish is training their staff to not allow in people of color?  Have people gone completely insane?
It would be stupid/insane, I agree, if they were TRAINING their staff TO not allow in people of color.  I think it's more likely that they're simply not properly training their staff regarding the potential repercussions of inconsistently applying such policies, or not applying enough oversight to their staff.  Were I an owner myself, I'd be plenty pissed if my staff were being that boneheaded.  

What is the possible rationale for telling somebody, "You can't come in...your shirt's untucked...oh, you tucked it in?  Well, you still can't come in.  But these guys over here?  They can come in....yeah, I know they're dressed the same...but not you."

Makes no sense.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

It's not that cut and dry.... and have you ever met a "nice" bouncer anywhere that's not on a power trip?  I totally agree there are bad seeds and aren't doing their job properly. 

Jess
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by Jess »

KCPowercat wrote: I totally agree there are bad seeds and aren't doing their job properly.  
Exactly, and it would really be too bad if poor oversight over such employees leads to major public embarrassment for an entire district.  Seems like it's in everyone's best interest to reign in bad employees. Make it a priority that policies be consistently applied if you value your business not being publicly smeared.

Honestly, you deserve what you get if you're going to do stuff that looks that bad, or if you passively give it the thumbs up by allowing your staff to do it.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

I've just experienced this bouncer behavior at all kinds of bars and clubs...this is how they operate everywhere.  To think this is a Cordish only problem is ignorant.

I'd love to see pictures of who was and wasn't allowed in on the city's study....there are ways to dress to be technically in compliance with a dress code and not be allowed in and really have nothing to do with color.  I just don't buy bouncers are really racists, given over 50% of them are minorities themselves.

Jess
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by Jess »

Whether they're racist, or just stupid in applying policy in a way that appears discriminatory, with the knowledge that said discrimination is an exceptionally publicized, hot button issue for the district, does it really matter, if the outcome's the same?
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

I don't think the outcome is as the media wants to make it seem.  Go sit outside Lucky Strike or Mosaic and watch it in action.  Then go to Club Chronic or whatever it's called, Brooksider, Body Werks Phase II, NV, etc. and watch it happen there.

Getting all worked up because it's big bad Cordish and the district everybody loves to hate is crazy.

mean
Administrator
Administrator

Post by mean »

It's a little less crazy when you consider that we're paying millions of dollars every year for the privilege of having their nightlife mall here.
"It is not to my good friend's heresy that I impute his honesty. On the contrary, 'tis his honesty that has brought upon him the character of heretic." -- Ben Franklin
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

Why?  Do you hunt down every bar built with a TIF and put them through secret "stings"?

mean
Administrator
Administrator

Post by mean »

Yes, if there were numerous complaints piling up.
"It is not to my good friend's heresy that I impute his honesty. On the contrary, 'tis his honesty that has brought upon him the character of heretic." -- Ben Franklin
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

people see what they want to see.

AJoD
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by AJoD »

Jess wrote: According to the articles I've read, access was denied because a dude in their party had an untucked shirt.  Dude tucked in said shirt, access still denied.  No reason given. Allegedly similarly dressed/untucked white folks allowed in while family's access barred.
Thanks.  That account makes it sound pretty bad.
NDTeve
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by NDTeve »

KCPowercat wrote: I don't think the outcome is as the media wants to make it seem.  Go sit outside Lucky Strike or Mosaic and watch it in action.  Then go to Club Chronic or whatever it's called, Brooksider, Body Werks Phase II, NV, etc. and watch it happen there.

Getting all worked up because it's big bad Cordish and the district everybody loves to hate is crazy.
+1.
"Don't go around saying the world owes you a living. The world owes you nothing. It was here first."
- Mark Twain