OFFICIAL: Power & Light District

Come here for discussion about the new downtown entertainment district.
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Re: OFFICIAL: Power & Light District

Post by GRID »

Tosspot wrote: Riding around in helicopters again WITHOUT TELLING ME eh? You wreak of elderberries.
:mrgreen:
KCN
Penntower
Penntower

Post by KCN »

WOW that beats the hell outta the pic I got out of the plane leaving KCI.  I could stare at that for hours being the nerd I am with this development.  Thanks mr. gridlock.
KCDevin

Post by KCDevin »

Yea, last time I saw KC from the air myself was going to Atlanta from KCI, I got to see the lights at about 5:00 or so in the morning... Kind of neat, but the surprising thing to me, was seeing the Mississippi River for the first time ever, it really looks huge from 30,000ft... (of course, to get barges down it so huge, it has to be big ;))
shinatoo
Ambassador

Post by shinatoo »

KCDevin wrote: (of course, to get barges down it so huge, it has to be big ;))
That's why they built it that way. Could have made it straighter though.
shinatoo
Ambassador

Post by shinatoo »

I have heard talk of a second H and R Block Tower.

What where when why how?

Renderings?

Links?

Locations?
KC Kropf
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by KC Kropf »

My understanding is that it is not a tower, but a series of 4+ story buildings surrounding the new tower, in a phases aproach.  Not sure how this plays into the overall design of the district.  There have been numerous renderings, nothing to be excited about, in my book
On to the Next One
Tosspot
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by Tosspot »

OMG. that's the best news i've heard all day.

photoblog. 

until further notice i will routinely point out spelling errors committed by any here whom i frequently do battle wit
KCDevin

Post by KCDevin »

Actually the second H&R Block tower will be a 10 floor building west of the current one, where TWA used to be.

There will be about 3 buildings around the current one, but all will be 2-3 floors and all will be amenities/entertainment.

http://www.emporis.com/en/wm/bu/?id=202097
jj116533
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by jj116533 »

hey i have a question did they repave the road at the bottom of the webcam?
Student at NYU studying Metropolitan Studies and Economic Theory.  Real Estate connoisseur.
http://twitter.com/#!/grecobs
Tosspot
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by Tosspot »

KCDevin wrote: Actually the second H&R Block tower will be a 10 floor building west of the current one, where TWA used to be.

There will be about 3 buildings around the current one, but all will be 2-3 floors and all will be amenities/entertainment.

http://www.emporis.com/en/wm/bu/?id=202097
I sure hope that's the truth. The last thing we need is more nonsensical one story building silliness in the core, the least of all downtown. the one story buildings are a contention i have with power & light.

photoblog. 

until further notice i will routinely point out spelling errors committed by any here whom i frequently do battle wit
KCDevin

Post by KCDevin »

btw Tosspot (and others), that has been the plan since the P&L Project first was released.

Remember when someone pointed out that they are putting larger columns in the TWA site? That is so it can support a 10 floor building.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

devin, nobody knows for sure...especially not emporis or whatever that site is called.
http://downtownkcmo.blogspot.com

Tweeting live from Big 12 tournament @downtownkc
KCDevin

Post by KCDevin »

I know, however the only real option H&R Block has is the block to the west. All the others will be housing entertainment and highrises for residents. Adding 2 floors to the buildings that will be around the H&R Block Tower will not be sufficient enough for their company.

It may not end up being 10 floors, maybe just spread out and be 5 - 6 floors. But I was just stating that it isn't likely that they will expand in the surrounding buildings. Building to the west would keep them together in just 10 buildings and just 60ft apart.

Emporis is innacurate in some of their information (well, a lot of it, such as heights), however they do reach the companies and find information I'm unable to find myself. (company reaching a company rather than an unknown John Doe reaching a major company)

Whether it's 5 floors or 20, no matter what, H&R Block expanding is a good thing, especially for Downtown. Expanding usually = more employees.
KansasCityCraka
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by KansasCityCraka »

KCPowercat wrote: devin, nobody knows for sure...especially not emporis or whatever that site is called.
Me and my dad share editor duties on emporis, it doesn't require that you know what your talking about. Anybody can make up a bogus source and they wont care.
Tosspot
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by Tosspot »

That's funny as hell, partially that it's true and partially that you admit it so bluntly.

photoblog. 

KansasCityCraka
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by KansasCityCraka »

Tosspot wrote: That's funny as hell, partially that it's true and partially that you admit it so bluntly.
Well, to tell you the truth I love the work they do. However, alot of the work I have had to correct and put "real" sources on my data instead of having people mislead.
KCDevin

Post by KCDevin »

howd you get editor status? Don't you have to pay a certain amount?
Highlander
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by Highlander »

KCDevin wrote: I know, however the only real option H&R Block has is the block to the west. All the others will be housing entertainment and highrises for residents. Adding 2 floors to the buildings that will be around the H&R Block Tower will not be sufficient enough for their company.

It may not end up being 10 floors, maybe just spread out and be 5 - 6 floors. But I was just stating that it isn't likely that they will expand in the surrounding buildings. Building to the west would keep them together in just 10 buildings and just 60ft apart.

Emporis is innacurate in some of their information (well, a lot of it, such as heights), however they do reach the companies and find information I'm unable to find myself. (company reaching a company rather than an unknown John Doe reaching a major company)

Whether it's 5 floors or 20, no matter what, H&R Block expanding is a good thing, especially for Downtown. Expanding usually = more employees.
If H&R Block needed the space now, I am sure they would have built the space into the existing building.  Whether or not they need an additional building depends soley on the continued health of the company.  I am no expert on the income tax business but it seems like H&R Block has been losing market share as more and more people file online.  Perhaps the H&R Block employees can comment more on the long term health of their company.  Point is, H&R Block obviously does not need that space now and may never need it.  I would rather have that block available for immediate use than saved for a building that may never happen.  What is going occupy that space in the interim?  Surface parking? 
KCMax
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by KCMax »

Jeffrey Flanagan confirms another 810 Zone is going downtown, although it doesn't say if its coming to P&L.
SAVE THE PLAZA - FROM ZOMBIES! Find out how at:

http://twitter.com/TheKCRag
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

jj116533 wrote: hey i have a question did they repave the road at the bottom of the webcam?
i was going to ask the same thing about 13th and grand. it looks temporary, but when i walked through the other night all of the corner work looks final (gutters, drains, ADA ramps, etc.).