Generic ongoing KCATA thread

Transportation topics in KC
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Re: Generic ongoing KCATA thread

Post by DaveKCMO »

GRID wrote: Thu May 16, 2024 10:12 am First Gladstone, now Grandview.

KC going backwards when it comes to having regional transit.
This slide backwards may be necessary to wake other up to the reality. Hello, Clay and Jackson county electeds!
SilentSpades24
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by SilentSpades24 »

DaveKCMO wrote: Wed May 22, 2024 1:47 pm
GRID wrote: Thu May 16, 2024 10:12 am First Gladstone, now Grandview.

KC going backwards when it comes to having regional transit.
This slide backwards may be necessary to wake other up to the reality. Hello, Clay and Jackson county electeds!
Sadly I don't think they will ever wake up, at least, they haven't historically. Service has only continued to dwindle slowly but surely.
SilentSpades24
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by SilentSpades24 »

https://www.metrostlouis.org/upcoming-s ... NpGEw1xf2z

Meanwhile in St. Louis, many many routes increasing frequency back to pre-COVID levels. Kansas City on the otherhand, facing more cuts and less service.
langosta
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by langosta »

SilentSpades24 wrote: Tue Jun 04, 2024 7:53 pm https://www.metrostlouis.org/upcoming-s ... NpGEw1xf2z

Meanwhile in St. Louis, many many routes increasing frequency back to pre-COVID levels. Kansas City on the otherhand, facing more cuts and less service.
Regional taxes, state funding, major issues and cuts with the light rail
SilentSpades24
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by SilentSpades24 »

https://ridekc.org/bulletins/raytown-tr ... ges-july-7

It happened yet again. Raytown now ending transit service within city limits and switching to IRIS. Another municipality where buses will run through, but not stop.

We are so unserious about transit, it's laughable. Once again, riders who depend on it will suffer.
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Post by GRID »

28 runs just inside the entire western border of Raytown (by just feet) for like 5 miles. So does that mean everybody on the KCMO side no longer has bus service?

I looked at the route, I guess it's already been shorted to 95th street when it used to go all the way into Grandview. I guess Grandview doesn't participate either.

May as well just get rid of route 28 and the one that can't stop in Gladstone.

The KC bus system has become a complete joke outside the max lines and I guess when the main street max goes away, it's just going away rather than going to Broadway or something. It should stay on Main and compliment the streetcar or go to Broadway or something.

How can a city be so into building a streetcar system and then have such a poor bus system at the same time?
langosta
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by langosta »

Different funding mechanisms? I don’t even think you can operate a bus with a TDD.
dnweava
New York Life
New York Life

Post by dnweava »

This is why suburbs shouldn't exist. These cities need to be merged with KCMO.
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

GRID wrote: Wed Jun 12, 2024 10:39 pm How can a city be so into building a streetcar system and then have such a poor bus system at the same time?
Lack of confidence in KCATA, which is 100% a KCMO problem. It's why the streetcar is owned, governed, funded, and operated separately. Not defending it, but these were all intentional choices made by KCMO elected officials spanning multiple administrations.