New Chiefs Stadium

Discussion about new sports facilities in Kansas City
SingleMalt12
Strip mall
Strip mall

Re: New Chiefs Stadium

Post by SingleMalt12 »

GRID wrote: Tue May 31, 2022 2:28 pm
There is absolutely no way to make an NFL stadium work in an urban environment.

Are you saying downtown stadiums or urban, non downtown stadiums?
AlkaliAxel
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by AlkaliAxel »

If they're staying at TSC I don't think they're building a new stadium on the Royals site.

The only thing keeping them in MO is because it's Clark's dads stadium. If you tear that down, then MO loses all its best leverage and the team will go to Kansas.
shinatoo
Ambassador

Post by shinatoo »

If JaxCo or Mo makes a serious offer to keep the Chiefs and they leave for Kansas anyway I think the Chiefs will take a serious financial hit in ticket sales and merchandising.
TheLastGentleman
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by TheLastGentleman »

Anthony_Hugo98
Penntower
Penntower

Post by Anthony_Hugo98 »

TheLastGentleman wrote: Tue May 31, 2022 8:06 pm Image
Now add the parking..
TheLastGentleman
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by TheLastGentleman »

Anthony_Hugo98 wrote: Tue May 31, 2022 8:35 pmNow add the parking..
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

Cincinnati did a really good job filling in most surface lots around their NFL stadium without adding new ones. We can do the same.
Last edited by normalthings on Tue May 31, 2022 8:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DColeKC
Ambassador

Post by DColeKC »

I seriously don't think Clark is considering building a new stadium. I do believe this is a smart play to get a ton of money for more renovations to Arrowhead. They can get creative on further additions to add more amenity space or larger retail. The stadiums capacity is the 6th largest in the league, has the historical reputation of being the loudest in the league, and bucket list place to attend if you're a NFL fan.

Combine that with the fact the Chiefs have a positive net operating income, which is rare in the league and would only go into hundreds of millions or a few billion in debt with the portion ownership would need to privately finance. A new stadium would have to guarantee a massive increase in per game revenue and spur some serious real-estate development on land owned by the team to make a bit of sense.

This is all before you even factor in the fans and the major pushback they'll get about leaving Arrowhead.
Anthony_Hugo98
Penntower
Penntower

Post by Anthony_Hugo98 »

TheLastGentleman wrote: Tue May 31, 2022 8:45 pm
Left out the fact this one has a major transit line stop at the front door. I’ll give it not as much surface parking as expected. I doubt something like that would work in the WB though.
AlkaliAxel
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by AlkaliAxel »

If the Chiefs just want renovation money- please use it on fixing the lot and the surroundings. Nobody gives a shit about "upgrading the stadium" at the end of the day because it's Arrowhead and it's perfectly fine.

Just fix that stupid ass parking lot and the area around it. Build it up.

Oh, and build rail to it.
ericwyner
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by ericwyner »

Anthony_Hugo98 wrote: Tue May 31, 2022 9:56 pm
TheLastGentleman wrote: Tue May 31, 2022 8:45 pm
Left out the fact this one has a major transit line stop at the front door. I’ll give it not as much surface parking as expected. I doubt something like that would work in the WB though.
there's garages connected to Skyway
DColeKC
Ambassador

Post by DColeKC »

AlkaliAxel wrote: Tue May 31, 2022 10:56 pm If the Chiefs just want renovation money- please use it on fixing the lot and the surroundings. Nobody gives a shit about "upgrading the stadium" at the end of the day because it's Arrowhead and it's perfectly fine.

Just fix that stupid ass parking lot and the area around it. Build it up.

Oh, and build rail to it.
The Chiefs would only want to upgrade the stadium to increase revenue potential. It’s major disadvantage is the lack of higher end space in comparison to other stadiums that are new. That and they need a major technology upgrade sooner than later. All new sound system, replace smaller north screen and adding another ribbon board around the 400 section for example.

The fact it’s an older, open-air stadium makes this a challenge. New stadiums put all this technology over the field and that’s not an option currently.
dukuboy1
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by dukuboy1 »

plus they need to add a retractable roof system so they can bid for a Super Bowl, Final Four, etc. Adding the roof element will add more revenue opportunities for sure and the ability to host major indoor sporting events, on the National scale.
moderne
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by moderne »

SoFi stadium in LA has a design for seismic reasons the stadium bowl structure and the roof are completely separated and distinct structures. If the concrete of the stadium is in good shape just a state of the art roof might be most of the expense needed.
DColeKC
Ambassador

Post by DColeKC »

dukuboy1 wrote: Wed Jun 01, 2022 10:38 am plus they need to add a retractable roof system so they can bid for a Super Bowl, Final Four, etc. Adding the roof element will add more revenue opportunities for sure and the ability to host major indoor sporting events, on the National scale.
Sacrifices come with a permanent roof, like fly-overs. A fully enclosed structure is a bad idea imho and will be massive cost. Once you go from outdoor stadium to indoor, things like fire suppression, HVAC etc come into play.

A roof system like Sofi could be cool where it’s technically still a open-air stadium but protected from rain, sun and snow.
dukuboy1
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by dukuboy1 »

I'm talking a retractable roof. One that can be closed when needed and to host large events that require a fully enclosed stadium with large seating capacity, i.e., Super Bowl, Final Four, etc.

I'm not talking about putting a permanent roof on Arrowhead. I want it to be primarily and open air stadium but one that can be closed if need be.

I think that about 90% of new football and baseball stadiums being built now have the retractable roof feature that allows for open air most of the time
Cratedigger
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by Cratedigger »

Saw this on Twitter today. From Dec 2004

https://mobile.twitter.com/KCDarvy/stat ... 50/photo/1

beautyfromashes
One Park Place
One Park Place

Post by beautyfromashes »

^Developer hyper-fantasy.
im2kull
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by im2kull »

DColeKC wrote: Wed Jun 01, 2022 3:01 pm
dukuboy1 wrote: Wed Jun 01, 2022 10:38 am plus they need to add a retractable roof system so they can bid for a Super Bowl, Final Four, etc. Adding the roof element will add more revenue opportunities for sure and the ability to host major indoor sporting events, on the National scale.
Sacrifices come with a permanent roof, like fly-overs. A fully enclosed structure is a bad idea imho and will be massive cost. Once you go from outdoor stadium to indoor, things like fire suppression, HVAC etc come into play.

A roof system like Sofi could be cool where it’s technically still a open-air stadium but protected from rain, sun and snow.
You are aware that an open air rolling roof has been in the cards for Arrowhead since before day 1.. correct?
DColeKC
Ambassador

Post by DColeKC »

im2kull wrote: Fri Jun 03, 2022 12:37 am
DColeKC wrote: Wed Jun 01, 2022 3:01 pm

You are aware that an open air rolling roof has been in the cards for Arrowhead since before day 1.. correct?
I’m aware of the rolling roof concept. Bad idea in 1968, 2008 and now. It’s too expensive, would look like garbage. I mean it would literally look like someone tossed a tent over the stadium.

Retractable roofs end up being mostly closed, rarely open in the football world. They’re too slow and prone to mechanical issues. So teams decide hours if not days in advance if they’ll be open or shut. Here in KC, with our weather, you might as well go permanent roof.

I 1000% understand the positives of going covered. I’m against going “enclosed” with every fiber of my being. I’ve been to too many domes or enclosed stadiums and they just fall short of that true football experience.