OFFICIAL: Power & Light District

Come here for discussion about the new downtown entertainment district.
geeman68
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Re: OFFICIAL: Power & Light District

Post by geeman68 »

earthling wrote:For a touristy corporate entertainment district, is good to see Cordish realize it needs constant change while mixing in local/regional flavor. Now if it could just get a true KC BBQ joint.
Imagine if Joes KC BBQ opened there!!!
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

mean wrote:For the rent they're asking, it'd probably have to be another fancy BBQ joint. That market might be saturated for the moment.
You would think a retail space outside of Cordish control would be trying to woo them....like Ingredient's space or north Crossroads which has a lot of spaces that could handle a smoker.
beautyfromashes
One Park Place
One Park Place

Post by beautyfromashes »

I'm really surprised that Cordish hasn't filled the space directly across from SC next to the Sprint Store. It's been, what, 10 years? Wouldn't it be better to fill it at a decent rental rate than let it sit empty waiting for a windfall?
Midtownkid
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by Midtownkid »

With the recent success of Q39 I wouldn't be too surprised to see them open another joint in pnl. Joe's Kansas City too maybe?
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

Midtownkid wrote:With the recent success of Q39 I wouldn't be too surprised to see them open another joint in pnl. Joe's Kansas City too maybe?
It seems the Joe's KC people have some sort of KS only thing going on. I think they are big KU fans...could be completely off base there.
loftguy
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by loftguy »

KCPowercat wrote:
Midtownkid wrote:With the recent success of Q39 I wouldn't be too surprised to see them open another joint in pnl. Joe's Kansas City too maybe?
It seems the Joe's KC people have some sort of KS only thing going on. I think they are big KU fans...could be completely off base there.
The owners have been quoted as saying "never in Missouri!"

Hopefully they will chill and end the civil war...
pash
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by pash »

Last edited by pash on Fri Feb 10, 2017 11:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

loftguy wrote:
KCPowercat wrote:

What dorks. Good...keep your cheese sandwich over there (I love the zman BTW)
longviewmo
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by longviewmo »

They had a Z-Man food truck they used a few times. Did they ever bring that over to the Missouri side?
Unknown JimmyD
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by Unknown JimmyD »

loftguy wrote:
KCPowercat wrote:

oh, is this for real? i hope not. that would be very disappointing if true. they're one of the few things that'll actually get me to contribute to the kansas economy.
NDTeve
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by NDTeve »

Pot Kettle.
Highlander
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by Highlander »

I was down in the P&L district a couple of times on my recent trip to KC. First night at the Bristols (great as always) and the second to attend the Mizzou-OSU game in Sprint Arena. The Mizzou game was well attended - more so than I thought it would be and just about every place in the P&L District had long waits for dinner (except the pricier places). We ended up eating in Cosentino's - it was OK and also packed full of people attending the game but the only place that was viable unless we wanted to miss the beginning of the game.

Downtown could use a few more restaurants in walking distance of the P&L District and especially some fast food. One of the more devoid downtowns I've been to in that regard. The district was hopping but the busy cosmopolitan died off pretty quick in any direction and the extreme cold made a trek somewhere further afield not very desirable. Still, good to see the district so busy. At it not been so fricking cold we would have been more willing to venture south of the loop into the Crossroads but wanted to stay in a few block radius of the Sprint Center.
mykn

Post by mykn »

Highlander wrote:I was down in the P&L district a couple of times on my recent trip to KC. First night at the Bristols (great as always) and the second to attend the Mizzou-OSU game in Sprint Arena. The Mizzou game was well attended - more so than I thought it would be and just about every place in the P&L District had long waits for dinner (except the pricier places). We ended up eating in Cosentino's - it was OK and also packed full of people attending the game but the only place that was viable unless we wanted to miss the beginning of the game.

Downtown could use a few more restaurants in walking distance of the P&L District and especially some fast food. One of the more devoid downtowns I've been to in that regard. The district was hopping but the busy cosmopolitan died off pretty quick in any direction and the extreme cold made a trek somewhere further afield not very desirable. Still, good to see the district so busy. At it not been so fricking cold we would have been more willing to venture south of the loop into the Crossroads but wanted to stay in a few block radius of the Sprint Center.
Agreed with the fast food, A taco bell that's open late would be awesome, no more late night drives to the northland...
smh
Supporter

Post by smh »

Highlander wrote:I was down in the P&L district a couple of times on my recent trip to KC. First night at the Bristols (great as always) and the second to attend the Mizzou-OSU game in Sprint Arena. The Mizzou game was well attended - more so than I thought it would be and just about every place in the P&L District had long waits for dinner (except the pricier places). We ended up eating in Cosentino's - it was OK and also packed full of people attending the game but the only place that was viable unless we wanted to miss the beginning of the game.

Next time you find yourself in a similar situation, you should make the hike up to Milwaukee Deli at 9th & Baltimore. Delicious pizza slices and sandwiches--not as long a walk as you'd think. Even in the cold.
earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by earthling »

Is not so much fast food needed but quick counter places - there is already BK, Chipotle and a deli/coffee spot in P&L. There are a handful of counter places downtown but maybe not enough. Foodie trucks are a good alternative but doesn't seem like they show up for Sprint events except the hotdog ones. Downtown could especially use more ethnic counters like Zaina (Mediterranean) at 12/Walnut. A pizza counter with little/no seating in P&L would probably do well, but CBD in general could also use a small sushi counter, thai and ramen noodle counter.
Last edited by earthling on Mon Jan 12, 2015 9:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
KCMax
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by KCMax »

I'm still amazed there isn't a McDonald's downtown.
A pizza counter with little seating in P&L would probably do well, but CBD in general could also use a small sushi counter, thai and ramen noodle counter.
Isn't that what "PIZZA BAR" is?

Man, a sushi/ramen place sounds like heaven.
rxlexi
Penntower
Penntower

Post by rxlexi »

I actually still miss the dingy little Danny Edwards Eat It N Beat It BBQ. I think such a place would do killer business in the loop, especially over lunch, but also on weekend and event nights.

Count me in the "surprised no one is doing BBQ near P&L" group...
shinatoo
Ambassador

Post by shinatoo »

rxlexi wrote:I actually still miss the dingy little Danny Edwards Eat It N Beat It BBQ. I think such a place would do killer business in the loop, especially over lunch, but also on weekend and event nights.

Count me in the "surprised no one is doing BBQ near P&L" group...
Well, if Famous Dave's can't make it then.....
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

Yes, there are several obvious restaurants missing from the Downtown Loop now: McDonald's, Taco Bell, Arby's, Wendy's, Hardee's, Chick-fil-A, Popeye's, Church's, etc.

I would think there would be an Applebee's downtown, since it's headquartered in the KC area.

I attribute this to the lack of retail spaces designed specifically for their needs. There are some available retail spots in older buildings, but I'm guessing that they don't provide the amount of space needed, setup for kitchen space, storage, and the appropriate foot traffic at the location.

When some older buildings get renovated, there may be some new spaces opening up: Argyle Building, Pickwick Hotel, Brookfield Building, and the Midland Office Building. The corner spot in the Argyle, and the Baltimore frontage of the Brookfield, might nab a fast food operation. However, with the Pickwick and Midland Office Building, because of location or space, I see the retail spaces there going to smaller restaurant operations, not chains. But that will come down to rent. Cordish controls the Midland Office Building, so the rent for the retail space might be too high. The Pickwick is not the greatest location for restaurants right now. The northern part of the Loop never has been.

I see McDonald's wanting to be on Grand near 12th Street. They may not reopen a loop restaurant until Grand block between 12th and 13th gets developed. That block might get an Applebee's as well. If the YMCA goes on the Lyric Theater block, the parcel at on Grand between 10th and 11th, once developed, might attract some fast food chains there.
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by flyingember »

I would like to see small restaurant space developed near Bartle Hall. It already draws the chain restaurant demographics quite well with conventions, sports, HS graduations, etc. An inside/outside food court would be a great pairing with the convention facilities. It also would help draw along 14th to 12th to develop with connecting services like a drug store, laundromat and such.

we need the chicken in population to the egg of a streetcar to serve the 12th/13th St corridors.