Discussion about new sports facilities in Kansas City
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Re: Downtown Baseball Stadium

Post by KCPowercat »

DColeKC wrote: Mon Jan 08, 2024 1:21 pm
KCPowercat wrote: Mon Jan 08, 2024 1:17 pm
DColeKC wrote: Mon Jan 08, 2024 12:57 pm

Well listen, I apologize if you think I was tossing everyone into the same pot of nimby. I'm just referring to a few comments on here that have flat out implied they want a downtown baseball stadium, but in their neighborhood and they'd be ok with it going far away from downtown before allowing it to happen in their neighborhood. Those are the comments and people I'm talking about directly, I think it's great that if this happens you'll at least support it while being vocal about your concerns.
It's laughable to think EV is far way from downtown.

I live downtown but not in either neighborhood but I consider the entire downtown something I want to protect and see grow responsibly. Not throwing event centers just wherever without planning. That's what east crossroads site feels like.
I didn't say EV is far from downtown. The comments I'm referring to said they'd rather the stadium go to Johnson Country than East Village.

I do live in one of these neighborhoods and I do care. If throwing event centers in the crossroads wherever without planning grinds your gears, why haven't you been speaking up over the last 15 years? Because I'd say that the Crossroads has more "event centers" per square mile than any other part of the city and it's not even close.
Fair enough my bad I read it wrong. Agree with you

You are comparing wedding events in an established old building to an MLB baseball stadium?
DColeKC
Ambassador

Post by DColeKC »

KCPowercat wrote: Mon Jan 08, 2024 1:56 pm
KCPowercat wrote: Mon Jan 08, 2024 1:17 pm

It's laughable to think EV is far way from downtown.

I live downtown but not in either neighborhood but I consider the entire downtown something I want to protect and see grow responsibly. Not throwing event centers just wherever without planning. That's what east crossroads site feels like.
I didn't say EV is far from downtown. The comments I'm referring to said they'd rather the stadium go to Johnson Country than East Village.

I do live in one of these neighborhoods and I do care. If throwing event centers in the crossroads wherever without planning grinds your gears, why haven't you been speaking up over the last 15 years? Because I'd say that the Crossroads has more "event centers" per square mile than any other part of the city and it's not even close.

You are comparing wedding events in an established old building to an MLB baseball stadium?
No, not making a direct comparison. I think a MLB stadium will do more for the area than all the other event spaces combined. ;)

Maybe you'll be impressed with the thoughtfulness and planning once it's out for public feedback.
TheSmokinPun
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by TheSmokinPun »

DColeKC wrote: Mon Jan 08, 2024 2:00 pm

No, not making a direct comparison. I think a MLB stadium will do more for the area than all the other event spaces combined. ;)

Maybe you'll be impressed with the thoughtfulness and planning once it's out for public feedback.
Focus grouping suburban people exactly picked to have the same opinion as the people putting on the study isn't going to overpower the actual community banding together & having enough of corporate weight being thrown around.
dukuboy1
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by dukuboy1 »

honestly, at this point I'd love to end the speculation, have them come out with a definitive plan and show us detailed renderings and share the details of the development. All we have now has been a hope and some random renderings. I'd really like a decision to be made so everyone can focus on the topic at hand and not all the what if's. It's easy to criticize now but I don't want to poo-poo a plan that I may not see all of the angles on. I have my opinion but it can be swayed if some of the missing details are shared and I become better informed. Right now it's super easy to shoot down every idea, and be bombastic toward any piece of news, rumor, etc. The Royals, The City, The County, etc. have done themselves no favors in this process and ultimately the Royals look like the biggest buffoons in the ownership leadership of this project. But I'm ready to move in a direction and then really start to dissect it.
DColeKC
Ambassador

Post by DColeKC »

TheSmokinPun wrote: Mon Jan 08, 2024 2:25 pm
DColeKC wrote: Mon Jan 08, 2024 2:00 pm

Focus grouping suburban people exactly picked to have the same opinion as the people putting on the study isn't going to overpower the actual community banding together & having enough of corporate weight being thrown around.
I'm guessing they'll have some public forums that anyone can attend. These are smart people, they're not going to go grab people that are only going to bullshit them and not give them real feedback. They don't operate any of their other endeavors this way, why would this be any different?
DColeKC
Ambassador

Post by DColeKC »

dukuboy1 wrote: Mon Jan 08, 2024 2:39 pm honestly, at this point I'd love to end the speculation, have them come out with a definitive plan and show us detailed renderings and share the details of the development. All we have now has been a hope and some random renderings. I'd really like a decision to be made so everyone can focus on the topic at hand and not all the what if's. It's easy to criticize now but I don't want to poo-poo a plan that I may not see all of the angles on. I have my opinion but it can be swayed if some of the missing details are shared and I become better informed. Right now it's super easy to shoot down every idea, and be bombastic toward any piece of news, rumor, etc. The Royals, The City, The County, etc. have done themselves no favors in this process and ultimately the Royals look like the biggest buffoons in the ownership leadership of this project. But I'm ready to move in a direction and then really start to dissect it.
This is what they're working on right now. They know they fumbled the initial pitch but to be honest, they didn't expect the pushback of the JaCo legislation. That got the city more involved when the city should have been more involved from jump. So the entire process has been a mess but now all parties are working together so we should see something serious sooner than later.

Much like you, I'm anxious to see the plans on paper and in detail.
bspecht
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by bspecht »

Royals issue a statement on a Community Benefits Agreement. https://twitter.com/Royals/status/1744445138414211392
beautyfromashes
One Park Place
One Park Place

Post by beautyfromashes »

DColeKC wrote: Mon Jan 08, 2024 2:42 pm These are smart people…
When you have to say this to reassure people, it shows the absolute ineptitude that has happened with this proposal. “No, really, they’re smart!”
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

DColeKC
Ambassador

Post by DColeKC »

beautyfromashes wrote: Mon Jan 08, 2024 3:00 pm
DColeKC wrote: Mon Jan 08, 2024 2:42 pm These are smart people…
When you have to say this to reassure people, it shows the absolute ineptitude that has happened with this proposal. “No, really, they’re smart!”
I don't think you build billion companies by being dumb. The Royals could have benefited by working with an experienced developer from the start.
TheUrbanRoo
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by TheUrbanRoo »

My hot take…I think what took a ton of the momentum from the EV site was when they released those renderings back in August and everyone went “wait that’s…it?”. NKC rendering blew it away. The EV excitement went to pud.

That was sort of the turning point for me as well. Sure they’ll claim “that’s not the final product!” but we haven’t see anything else and the vote’s in like 3 months.
TheSmokinPun
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by TheSmokinPun »

TheUrbanRoo wrote: Mon Jan 08, 2024 3:52 pm My hot take…I think what took a ton of the momentum from the EV site was when they released those renderings back in August and everyone went “wait that’s…it?”. NKC rendering blew it away. The EV excitement went to pud.

That was sort of the turning point for me as well. Sure they’ll claim “that’s not the final product!” but we haven’t see anything else and the vote’s in like 3 months.
Meanwhile, at least we got knockoff renderings instead of the real thing. CR site has absolutely nothing, not even real dimensions of the site. The NKC deal was such a pipe dream that no one believed seriously.
dnweava
New York Life
New York Life

Post by dnweava »

A month ago I preferred EV. Now, I like both sites and think the city is wins with either site. but with the rumors that the Royals prefer the crossroads site, we might as wells start warming up to it instead of being so negative about it. (y'all need to get off of toxic twitter)

Things that changed my mind:

1) newest drawing showed keeping Oak open (this was a MAJOR deal breaker for me as Oak and Broadway are the only 2 streets that completely cross the downtown corridor and even connect across the river.

2) Preserving as much street grid as possible. 16th Street is already cut off on both ends of the x-roads site at the star bldg and at 71 so we don't lose any additional E-W streets with this site. (assuming we don't close Oak) I think the East Village site with it's in-tact street grid would be better off redeveloped with dense residential.

3) The Star building is a huge building that overshadows that crossroads site that wouldn't overshadow the stadium.

4) We aren't losing anything architecturally significant. After giving the site an in person look, the buildings are mostly very bland 1 story buildings, a suburban tire change place, etc that would eventually be replaced with new developments anyways.

5) The area east of this site is equipment rental lots and such, an area that will very easily be redeveloped while I don't see the area east of the EV site developing. I don't see people lining up to building Apartments and hotels across from the City Union the way they would want to around 17th/Locust

6) The crossroads site will have way more synergy with the surrounding neighborhood. It has breweries around it and places to eat already on 18th, that will develop into a wriglyville of sorts. 18th Street will become a baseball themed street that connects the Royals to the urban youth fields and the Negro Leagues Museum. Plus it will be adjacent to the new highway park cap and have better synergy with P&L area. This site will help bridge the gap between P&L, east crossroads, and even push development towards 18th/vine. The EV site is at the edge of downtown and won't bridge any areas together in the same way.

7. More walkable. People will say that "but it's NOT that much farther from the streetcar"... have you seen the suburbanites and old people that go to Royals games, it will matter to them. Telling a non-urbanist that it's 3 blocks vs 6 blocks uphill, from the streetcar stop will make them want to drive from the plaza rather than take transit and walking. Also visiting fans will find walkign across the highway park cap much more pleasant and they'd be more likely to walk than take a cab from the convention area hotels.
Last edited by dnweava on Mon Jan 08, 2024 4:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DColeKC
Ambassador

Post by DColeKC »

DaveKCMO wrote: Mon Jan 08, 2024 3:35 pm Today's Legislature meeting: https://jacksonco.legistar.com/MeetingD ... s=&Search=

Biz Journal article: https://www.bizjournals.com/kansascity/ ... lpark.html
Dave, regarding your comments: The Royals didn't ask the city or property owners to prepare East Village for them. The city needed to clear much of that regardless and it's sat as is for nearly 15 years. If you really care about tax payer resources, surely you can understand the benefit of not needing a ton of infrastructure work at the EC site vs the EV site? Shouldn't those savings, something the city would likely need to cover count in your assessment?

Also, who said the Royals would be the ones to speak to property owners up until this point? I know for a fact that several have been talking about selling for months regardless if a stadium goes in or not.
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

Kinda confusing, but it looks like the Legislature just voted 8-1 (veto proof) to send the tax to the April ballot. County Exec can veto, but theoretically they could override. He asked for more time. Teams were present and commented.
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

dnweava wrote: Mon Jan 08, 2024 4:35 pm 6) The crossroads site will have way more synergy with the surrounding neighborhood. It has breweries around it and places to eat already on 18th, that will develop into a wriglyville of sorts. 18th Street will become a baseball themed street that connects the Royals to the urban youth fields and the Negro Leagues Museum. Plus it will be adjacent to the new highway park cap and have better synergy with P&L area. This site will help bridge the gap between P&L, east crossroads, and even push development towards 18th/vine. The EV site is at the edge of downtown and won't bridge any areas together in the same way.
I like how this is just being thrust upon a neighborhood -- here, drink your juice it's good for you. Would you do this to the Westside or Columbus Park? What if we don't WANT to be Wrigleyville? The organic development is moving east just fine without a major institution fucking it all up with years of construction and botched promises. I lived through construction of both P&L and Kauffman Center. No thanks on a third time around. Incremental development is where I'm at, and this ain't it.
DColeKC
Ambassador

Post by DColeKC »

DColeKC
Ambassador

Post by DColeKC »

DaveKCMO wrote: Mon Jan 08, 2024 4:39 pm
dnweava wrote: Mon Jan 08, 2024 4:35 pm 6) The crossroads site will have way more synergy with the surrounding neighborhood. It has breweries around it and places to eat already on 18th, that will develop into a wriglyville of sorts. 18th Street will become a baseball themed street that connects the Royals to the urban youth fields and the Negro Leagues Museum. Plus it will be adjacent to the new highway park cap and have better synergy with P&L area. This site will help bridge the gap between P&L, east crossroads, and even push development towards 18th/vine. The EV site is at the edge of downtown and won't bridge any areas together in the same way.
I like how this is just being thrust upon a neighborhood -- here, drink your juice it's good for you. Would you do this to the Westside or Columbus Park? What if we don't WANT to be Wrigleyville?
What if you're wildly out of touch with the business owners and investors in the crossroads? A 18,000 capacity arena on your doorstep has only helped the area but a 30,000 capacity stadium that's even more active is going to ruin the neighborhood? We're building a park to connect PNL with Crossroads for a better overall downtown. There's a way to remove an eyesore (Star Press Bldg) that will never be repurposed, clear out some under-utilized areas and older non-historic buildings while adding density and driving hundreds of thousands of visitors to the area to spend money.

I just think you're upset someone didn't call you personally to ask if this was ok.
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Post by GRID »

dnweava wrote: Mon Jan 08, 2024 4:35 pm A month ago I preferred EV. Now, I like both sites and think the city is wins with either site. but with the rumors that the Royals prefer the crossroads site, we might as wells start warming up to it instead of being so negative about it. (y'all need to get off of toxic twitter)

Things that changed my mind:

1) newest drawing showed keeping Oak open (this was a MAJOR deal breaker for me as Oak and Broadway are the only 2 streets that completely cross the downtown corridor and even connect across the river.

2) Preserving as much street grid as possible. 16th Street is already cut off on both ends of the x-roads site at the star bldg and at 71 so we don't lose any additional E-W streets with this site. (assuming we don't close Oak) I think the East Village site with it's in-tact street grid would be better off redeveloped with dense residential.

3) The Star building is a huge building that overshadows that crossroads site that wouldn't overshadow the stadium.

4) We aren't losing anything architecturally significant. After giving the site an in person look, the buildings are mostly very bland 1 story buildings, a suburban tire change place, etc that would eventually be replaced with new developments anyways.

5) The area east of this site is equipment rental lots and such, an area that will very easily be redeveloped while I don't see the area east of the EV site developing. I don't see people lining up to building Apartments and hotels across from the City Union the way they would want to around 17th/Locust

6) The crossroads site will have way more synergy with the surrounding neighborhood. It has breweries around it and places to eat already on 18th, that will develop into a wriglyville of sorts. 18th Street will become a baseball themed street that connects the Royals to the urban youth fields and the Negro Leagues Museum. Plus it will be adjacent to the new highway park cap and have better synergy with P&L area. This site will help bridge the gap between P&L, east crossroads, and even push development towards 18th/vine. The EV site is at the edge of downtown and won't bridge any areas together in the same way.

7. More walkable. People will say that "but it's NOT that much farther from the streetcar"... have you seen the suburbanites and old people that go to Royals games, it will matter to them. Telling a non-urbanist that it's 3 blocks vs 6 blocks uphill, from the streetcar stop will make them want to drive from the plaza rather than take transit and walking. Also visiting fans will find walkign across the highway park cap much more pleasant and they'd be more likely to walk than take a cab from the convention area hotels.
Good post.

I know you guys like the east crossroads as it is now, but I honestly just going get it. Maybe because I don't live there anymore I guess. But when I'm in town, it's not all that impressive. Right now, it's not a "neighborhood". At least not an urban one. It has some renos of some of the little one or two story buildings, but it's not well developed or walkable. It's like parts of industrial NKC, only even less dense because there are even more parking lots than NKC. Plus a lot of the businesses are not really ideal for a downtown district. Industrial, stirp clubs, U-Haul, storage, churches etc. But mostly it's barely developed at all.

I mean if the east crossroads is ever going to build up, most of those older little industrial buildings will go away anyway.

I just don't see the stadium in the EV doing much other than giving a few people the option to walk to the P&L district. It's just not going to be well interwoven into the downtown fabric. I mean if you want any chance of EV and Paseo West to actually develop into a residential neighborhood then simply stop land banking it for a stadium. A stadium there will likely cause Paseo West to be paved over with parking lots. In this case, a few blocks makes a huge difference.

I just keep going back to a stadium would enhance the crossraods in that location despite the minor losses that would occur. It really seems like a stadium would not displace much. I mean down south it's more developed into an urban neighborhood like along 18th near Grinders etc. But the section east of the Star to 71 and south of 670?

I just want to see a real plan. What are they planning to do? Exactly what blocks? Will the star press stay or go? Will the 670 park become part of the stadium project? What exactly will the Royals build near the park that they keep promising? Nobody seems to know. So I don't know how you can really 100% decide one site over the other.
Last edited by GRID on Mon Jan 08, 2024 5:18 pm, edited 3 times in total.
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

DColeKC wrote: Mon Jan 08, 2024 4:44 pm
DaveKCMO wrote: Mon Jan 08, 2024 4:39 pm
I like how this is just being thrust upon a neighborhood -- here, drink your juice it's good for you. Would you do this to the Westside or Columbus Park? What if we don't WANT to be Wrigleyville?
What if you're wildly out of touch with the business owners and investors in the crossroads? A 18,000 capacity arena on your doorstep has only helped the area but a 30,000 capacity stadium that's even more active is going to ruin the neighborhood? We're building a park to connect PNL with Crossroads for a better overall downtown. There's a way to remove an eyesore (Star Press Bldg) that will never be repurposed, clear out some under-utilized areas and older non-historic buildings while adding density and driving hundreds of thousands of visitors to the area to spend money.

I just think you're upset someone didn't call you personally to ask if this was ok.

"Business owners and investors"? Is that all you think the Crossroads is? It's a neighborhood dude. So tone deaf, as is the lid conversation.