Fear of an Urban Planet...

New to downtown life? Have questions? Urban living expert, come share your thoughts.
tat2kc
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Re: Fear of an Urban Planet...

Post by tat2kc »

You did not state that you were detained. If you know that the cop made up a lie and detained you with no cause, then file a formal complaint. 

I can tell you, if you were in front of my property at midnight, and I didn't know you, I'd be on the phone in a heartbeat finding out who you were.  Urban neighborhoods didn't deteriorate because of the cops. They fell apart because no one cared what was happening, and no one looked out for their neighborhood, amd no one cooperates with the police.  I always check out what is happening on my street. A group of kids were hanging out on the steps leading up to the home next to mine. Its empty because the owner is renovating it. After about 10 minutes, I called the cops. Perhaps they weren't doing anything wrong. But they damn sure know the neighborhood is watching out for each other.

I get stopped by the police on a regular basis. My job involves teaching young kids who are blind and visually impaired how the travel safely in a variety of areas, including residental neighborhoods. So, I often will give a kiddo a route to follow, then stay back about a half a block, or sometimes on the other side of the street. I cannot count how many times, a police officer or security guard or even Joe Blow on the street has stopped me and inquired about what I was doing.  There was absolutely nothing in my behavior that was even remotely illegal. I'm glad they stop me. Gives me a chance to educate people about what is happening and how to interact with pedestrians who are blind or visually impaired. 

The "us against the cops" mentality does nothing but continue to the tensions between law enforcement and the public.  You might have tried to introduce yourself to the  officer and tell him you are a new resident in the area. find out if he's the cop who regularly patrols the area. Get to know your neighborhood cop and treat him like a neighbor, which he is, and let the man do his job without slinging attitude. Belive it or not, they do have more things to do than pick on people waiting for pizza.
Are you sure we're talking about the same God here, because yours sounds kind of like a dick.
LenexatoKCMO
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by LenexatoKCMO »

tat2kc wrote: You did not state that you were detained. If you know that the cop made up a lie and detained you with no cause, then file a formal complaint. 
Unfortunately there is nothing illegal about a cop "detaining" someone on the sidewalk without full probable cause - It's called a "Terry" stop. 
trailerkid
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by trailerkid »

tat2kc wrote: The "us against the cops" mentality does nothing but continue to the tensions between law enforcement and the public.  You might have tried to introduce yourself to the  officer and tell him you are a new resident in the area. find out if he's the cop who regularly patrols the area. Get to know your neighborhood cop and treat him like a neighbor, which he is, and let the man do his job without slinging attitude. Belive it or not, they do have more things to do than pick on people waiting for pizza.
I told him I lived there and that we were waiting for pizza initially and he continued to pursue his Bob Gruffin or Rob Muffin story or whatever. The burden is on him to act professional and/or ethical. It's not my job to become friend/public defender because he got a wild hair up his ass...excuse me, but f--- that. I'm actually a very laid back person in real life so I don't really care to create some friendship or confrontation with him. I was mostly cringing and laughing during the whole encounter because I felt it was funny how bad he was at acting. After the confrontation I realized this isn't funny considering he is probably doing the same thing daily to other "suspicious" people he sees in Lawrence. If he's as bad of a judge with others as he was with us, he's very bad at doing his job.

I don't know where you got the idea I gave this officer a bunch of attitude just because I do it to a bunch of dinks on an internet forum. You're creating a scenario that didn't happen. He's doing his job...and isn't good at it...and I'm sitting, then laughing, then talking to the Pizza Shuttle guy, then telling my friends we should just leave because this whole thing is a big joke.

Hmmm...sneaking up behind little kids is quite a bit of leap from sitting outside your apartment, but whatever...
nota
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by nota »

An interesting thing was brought up by tat above.

Maybe you standing outside late at night prompted one of your neighbors to call a cop and this one responded to the call.
LenexatoKCMO
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by LenexatoKCMO »

trailerkid wrote: ...and I'm sitting, then laughing, then talking to the Pizza Shuttle guy, then telling my friends we should just leave because this whole thing is a big joke.
I' don't know but anyone standing outside eagerly waiting for pizza shuttle :puke: does sound pretty suspicious!  :lol:
kcdcchef
The Quiet Chair
The Quiet Chair

Post by kcdcchef »

LenexatoKCMO wrote: I' don't know but anyone standing outside eagerly waiting for pizza shuttle :puke: does sound pretty suspicious!   :lol:
but someone sitting inside their home seeing a total stranger standing outside loitering late at night, they have no idea of knowing you are waiting for a pie.
MU FINISHED THE YEAR RANKED HIGHER IN HOOPS AND FOOTBALL THAN THE KAY U JAYDORKS. UP YOURS KAY U JAYDORK FANS!!!! :D :D :D :D :D
chrizow
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by chrizow »

kcdcchef wrote: but someone sitting inside their home seeing a total stranger standing outside loitering late at night, they have no idea of knowing you are waiting for a pie.
keep in mind TK was standing outside on Massachusetts St in Lawrence, the busiest artery in a bustling college town. 

i think Lenexa was poking fun at Pizza Shuttle itself, which is apparently questionable.  :lol:
KCMax
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by KCMax »

Regardless of the rightness or wrongness of the cop's actions, I hardly see how it has anything to do with "suburbness." As tat alludes, if anything we want MORE of a police presence in urban environments, not less. Unless they're abusing their power and slamming people heads into cop cars, I really don't see a problem with him asking you a few questions. I should hope the KCMO police are as aggressive in the fledgling neighborhoods and districts that are emerging in our urban core.

If anything, the attitude that no one can bother us with questions is "suburbness."
SAVE THE PLAZA - FROM ZOMBIES! Find out how at:

http://twitter.com/TheKCRag
tat2kc
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by tat2kc »

if the police in other areas of the northeast would interact with folks and ask questions, then the crime level would not be nearly as high as it is. 

Sorry, TK, but I think you were wrong.
Are you sure we're talking about the same God here, because yours sounds kind of like a dick.
trailerkid
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by trailerkid »

tat2kc wrote:

Sorry, TK, but I think you were wrong.
How dare I create pedestrian animation after dark by waiting for a pizza outside my place. Lock me up and throw away the key. Next time I'll just watch CSI and go to bed like all the nice little suburbanites on this board.
nota
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by nota »

trailerkid wrote: How dare I create pedestrian animation after dark by waiting for a pizza outside my place. Lock me up and throw away the key. Next time I'll just watch CSI and go to bed like all the nice little suburbanites on this board.
trailerkid
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by trailerkid »

nota wrote: Image
Takes one to know one I suppose...

Any updates on the tax rates on all your "see and be seen" restaurants you go to?
chrizow
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by chrizow »

:lol:
Tosspot
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by Tosspot »

If this car dependency and all the revolting accessories that go along with it are the realization of the ballyhooed "American Dream" bullshit then I say it's about time to take the American Dream, throw it on the ground, and spit and stomp all over it. I'm fucking fed up with this crap. I had three errands to take care of along Westport Rd between Southwest Trafficway and State Line. The first involved getting a haircut in the Blockbuster Video strip mall gulag. Then later a bike ride over to the Commerce Bank on 43rd just on the other side of State Line. What a horrific experience. I got inside the front lobby and in the back of a line full of a gaggle of hicks going on about having babies and being great-grandparents. It resonated with all the melodic erudition of Breeders Weekly Magazine. You could just feel the downhome country goodness of the whole revolting display. But that's not entirely what pissed me off; what pissed me off was that I had to wait in the goddamned line for twenty minutes for the one single teller put there by the brainless dumbfuckerous witless moronic car slave nimrodded dolts who run Commerce Bank. The rest of the tellers were all alotted to the drive thru -- by golly gee wee best be caterin' to dem car slaves! or so the reasoning goes with nearly all of the business and development practice not only in this city but this entire fucked up nation that has soldiers dying in its name daily for a nation whose collective landscape has been raped and maimed into shitscape that makes this a country not even worth defending. The American Dream -- it can get bent.

photoblog. 

until further notice i will routinely point out spelling errors committed by any here whom i frequently do battle wit
KC0KEK
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by KC0KEK »

Why post that here? Why not start a blog and vent there?
kard
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by kard »

Toss, I've had the same experience at the UMB at 17th and Grand.  There were two tellers inside and more then two doing drive-through.  There's quite a few walk-ins in that part of town and I had to wait a lot longer then I would have had I had a car.

It wasn't a big deal, really, but an interesting observation of who gets better service.

And, while I've only seen it from looking in from outside, that Commerce Bank on 43rd has one of the coolest lobbies around.
Haikus are easy
But sometimes they don't make sense
Refrigerator
aknowledgeableperson
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by aknowledgeableperson »

Tosspot wrote: If this car dependency and all the revolting accessories that go along with it are the realization of the ballyhooed "American Dream" bullshit then I say it's about time to take the American Dream, throw it on the ground, and spit and stomp all over it. I'm fucking fed up with this crap. I had three errands to take care of along Westport Rd between Southwest Trafficway and State Line. The first involved getting a haircut in the Blockbuster Video strip mall gulag. Then later a bike ride over to the Commerce Bank on 43rd just on the other side of State Line. What a horrific experience. I got inside the front lobby and in the back of a line full of a gaggle of hicks going on about having babies and being great-grandparents. It resonated with all the melodic erudition of Breeders Weekly Magazine. You could just feel the downhome country goodness of the whole revolting display. But that's not entirely what pissed me off; what pissed me off was that I had to wait in the goddamned line for twenty minutes for the one single teller put there by the brainless dumbfuckerous witless moronic car slave nimrodded dolts who run Commerce Bank. The rest of the tellers were all alotted to the drive thru -- by golly gee wee best be caterin' to dem car slaves! or so the reasoning goes with nearly all of the business and development practice not only in this city but this entire fucked up nation that has soldiers dying in its name daily for a nation whose collective landscape has been raped and maimed into shitscape that makes this a country not even worth defending. The American Dream -- it can get bent.
Oh, boo-hoo.  Are we suppose to feel sorry for you?  Or what? :-({|=
If you don't like the service talk to the branch manager.  Or just change banks.
How many people were in your line?  5?  10?  Sometimes one customer can take five or more minutes depending on the transaction(s).

If you hate "breeders" so much maybe you just need a shack somewhere in the wilderness.
I may be right.  I may be wrong.  But there is a lot of gray area in-between.
Tosspot
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by Tosspot »

:roll:

Leave it to you to completely miss the point. Allow me to elucidate for you: Item of Stupidity Number One: The bank caters to the car slave crowds like you and doesn't give two flying shits about the supposedly woebegone neer-do-wells that just may have to stroll in from the sidewalk. Item of Stupidity Number Two: Resulting from Item of Stupidity Number One, I had to stand there and listen to a bunch of yokels blather ad nauseam about their breeding habits. If they pulled some of the drive thru tellers to accomodate the actual foot traffic then whatever stupid, brainless, insipid conversations take place would be dispersed. Item of Stupidity Number Three: That there are actually people like you who always try to play the devil's advocate card no matter how dumb it makes them sound.

photoblog. 

until further notice i will routinely point out spelling errors committed by any here whom i frequently do battle wit
kcdcchef
The Quiet Chair
The Quiet Chair

Post by kcdcchef »

Tosspot wrote: :roll:

Leave it to you to completely miss the point. Allow me to elucidate for you: Item of Stupidity Number One: The bank caters to the car slave crowds like you and doesn't give two flying shits about the supposedly woebegone neer-do-wells that just may have to stroll in from the sidewalk. Item of Stupidity Number Two: Resulting from Item of Stupidity Number One, I had to stand there and listen to a bunch of yokels blather ad nauseam about their breeding habits. If they pulled some of the drive thru tellers to accomodate the actual foot traffic then whatever stupid, brainless, insipid conversations take place would be dispersed. Item of Stupidity Number Three: That there are actually people like you who always try to play the devil's advocate card no matter how dumb it makes them sound.
go to a branch without a drivethru. the branches with drivethrus cater to people in cars, the branches with no drivethru tellers, will cater SOLELY to the pedestrians.
MU FINISHED THE YEAR RANKED HIGHER IN HOOPS AND FOOTBALL THAN THE KAY U JAYDORKS. UP YOURS KAY U JAYDORK FANS!!!! :D :D :D :D :D
Tosspot
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by Tosspot »

They all have drive-thrus. Every one I can think of.

photoblog.