Buying a Bike

New to downtown life? Have questions? Urban living expert, come share your thoughts.
LenexatoKCMO
City Center Square
City Center Square

Re: Buying a Bike

Post by LenexatoKCMO »

Kard wrote: There is no good way up that hill.  But yeah, Gillham is better then some of the others.  Not nearly as much traffic on it either.
Well perhaps the new Gondola will have a bike rack so out of shape, novices like me can catch a lift up.  :D
Tosspot
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by Tosspot »

I'm not thrilled with the bike offerings on craigslist right now.

What if I bought a Huffy at Dick's sporting goods for $129.00.  Bad idea? Indifferent? Would that be almost the equivalent of buying a $70 bike at Sprawlmart?

photoblog. 

until further notice i will routinely point out spelling errors committed by any here whom i frequently do battle wit
Slappy the Wang
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by Slappy the Wang »

Tosspot wrote: I'm not thrilled with the bike offerings on craigslist right now.

What if I bought a Huffy at Dick's sporting goods for $129.00.  Bad idea? Indifferent? Would that be almost the equivalent of buying a $70 bike at Sprawlmart?
Look man, there's no such thing as a good - cheap bike.  If you're going discount, at least go to Target and get a Schwinn. 

On second thought, I have a 2004 Raleigh M60 (mountainbike) that's LIKE NEW with a comfy seat and decent components that I don't use as I've taken up road riding.  I'd be willing to cut it loose for $300.  Brand new it was $500.

I'll post  a pic later if you have an interest.
Be green or go Broke Tryin'
Tosspot
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by Tosspot »

I'm just gonna have to get a cheap bike then, it looks like. Midwest Cyclery's cheapest was like $350, which is out of my price range.

photoblog. 

until further notice i will routinely point out spelling errors committed by any here whom i frequently do battle wit
Tosspot
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by Tosspot »

Per your Target recommendation Slappy, I found this Schwinn within my price range

I'll check it out. Thanks.

photoblog. 

Tosspot
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by Tosspot »

I bought a $140 Schwinn from Target.

Surely that's better than a $70 off-brand from Wal Mart (?) I hope so anyway, because that was my most previous bike purchase (CMSU university life), which was a total waste.

photoblog. 

Slappy the Wang
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by Slappy the Wang »

Tosspot wrote: I bought a $140 Schwinn from Target.

Surely that's better than a $70 off-brand from Wal Mart (?) I hope so anyway, because that was my most previous bike purchase (CMSU university life), which was a total waste.
Cool.  Any bike is better than not riding!

Has anyone proposed putting together an urban cruise anytime in the next month or so?  Maybe the first weekend in October?
Be green or go Broke Tryin'
VELO DOOM
Pad site
Pad site

Post by VELO DOOM »

So I'm at work this afternoon bringing a train into the yard, which is across the street from the DT airport, watching some people ride around and thought of this one important bit of advice to give to new riders. 

Invest in a floor pump and keep your tires inflated to their maximum capacity!!  I don't know how many times, this afternoon was one of them, where I've seen people almost riding on their rims cause the tire pressure was too low.  Properly inflated tires equal less rolling resistance which equals less work you have to do and its an easy fix. 
Slappy the Wang wrote: Cool.  Any bike is better than not riding!

Has anyone proposed putting together an urban cruise anytime in the next month or so?  Maybe the first weekend in October?
I'd be down for a KCD&SF meet n greet ride.
great men live dangerously, small men don't take chances.
kard
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by kard »

Tosspot wrote: I bought a $140 Schwinn from Target.
Neat!

And you got a helmet, too, right?
Haikus are easy
But sometimes they don't make sense
Refrigerator
Tosspot
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by Tosspot »

Kard wrote: And you got a helmet, too, right?
Yeah. Figured it might be a good idea.

photoblog. 

Thrillcekr
Penntower
Penntower

Post by Thrillcekr »

Tosspot wrote: Yeah. Figured it might be a good idea.
Just don't take it any further than that.  Nothing looks more ridiculous than a bunch of wannabes that think they need to spend a hundred bucks on a cheesy spandex halloween costume just to ride a bicycle.
kard
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by kard »

Thrillcekr wrote: Just don't take it any further than that.  Nothing looks more ridiculous than a bunch of wannabes that think they need to spend a hundred bucks on a cheesy spandex halloween costume just to ride a bicycle.
Yeah, that ranks right up there with buying an H1/H2/H3/Tahoe, Corvette, Esclade or other snazzified vehicle.
Haikus are easy
But sometimes they don't make sense
Refrigerator
riebschlager
New York Life
New York Life

Post by riebschlager »

This thread has reminded me that I need to ride my bike a lot more before it starts getting too cold. 

Thanks, thread.
kc-vino
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by kc-vino »

In all seriousness.  I'm in the market for a bike.  I want to support and check out the digs at River Market Cycling and will soon.  I'm not terribly into biking but want to do it 3-5 times a week after work and on the weekend.  I've heard I can get a decent bike for around $400.  And again I'm looking for something that will just last a couple of years, not something I'll take to Colorado on a monthly basis for serious mountain biking.  Any thoughts are appreciated
Put your money where your mouth is...live downtown.  Get out of the car and walk, shop, and play in the city.  Don't bring a suburban attitude/lifestyle to the city, rather be apart of changing the urban fabric for the better.
LenexatoKCMO
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by LenexatoKCMO »

As discussed above, I just bought a bike there a few weeks ago and found them to be pretty helpful and reasonable to deal with.  I guess I will get another chance to evaluate them when I go back for the post-break in tune up in a couple weeks. 
Tosspot
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by Tosspot »

My Schwinn from the Mission Target is already misaligned with its front wheel. I'm assuming that's from plowing through a nasty pothole I didn't see coming on Westport Road.

photoblog. 

chrizow
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by chrizow »

thrift store bikes are THA HOTTNESS.
staubio
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by staubio »

Tosspot wrote: My Schwinn from the Mission Target is already misaligned with its front wheel. I'm assuming that's from plowing through a nasty pothole I didn't see coming on Westport Road.
I won't say I told you so... well, because I don't have to. :-)

A reputable shop can "true" your wheel for you and get it straightened out.  It involves retensioning the spokes on either side of the bend to straighten it out.  I can take a shot and doing it as well but I'm not as good at it as many of my friends are.
Tosspot
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by Tosspot »

staubio wrote: I won't say I told you so... well, because I don't have to. :-)

A reputable shop can "true" your wheel for you and get it straightened out.  It involves retensioning the spokes on either side of the bend to straighten it out.  I can take a shot and doing it as well but I'm not as good at it as many of my friends are.

Cool...if you want to come by sometime and take a stab at it, by all means. Otherwise I can bike over to Midwest Cyclery and ask them to do it. Any idea how much money this is gonna cost me? :shock:

photoblog. 

staubio
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by staubio »

Tosspot wrote:
Cool...if you want to come by sometime and take a stab at it, by all means. Otherwise I can bike over to Midwest Cyclery and ask them to do it. Any idea how much money this is gonna cost me? :shock:
Probably around $15.  I'll give it a shot but I'm pretty much booked for the rest of the week.