Kansas City NHL Articles

Can't get enough of sports even on a development board? Get your fix here. Expect heavy moderation on smack talk.
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Re: Kansas City NHL Articles

Post by DaveKCMO »

does this mean that there will not be a basketball team? in other words, could they share the arena? i'm a bit sports illiterate.
KansasCityCraka
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by KansasCityCraka »

If we get NHL then yes we wouldn't be getting an NBA team, our market can only support one of those right now. I think AEG only wants one tenant to start out with anyways.
Sparty
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by Sparty »

DaveKCMO wrote: does this mean that there will not be a basketball team? in other words, could they share the arena? i'm a bit sports illiterate.
Our arena could support both, but the city can't.  Many cities have both the NHL and NBA sharing arenas.  They can switch from hockey ice to a basketball court in a matter of hours.  It's just a matter of creative scheduling.  If we ended up with NBA and AHL (hockey), then they would be using the same season, and have to constantly switch from ice to court.
kard
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by kard »

woo!
Haikus are easy
But sometimes they don't make sense
Refrigerator
mykem
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by mykem »

what teams are for sale?would expansion be a possability?whats the NBAs reaction to this new development?
Brodees
Ambassador

Post by Brodees »

Awesome news!  At least we now know that someone is actively pursuing a team specifically for our arena.  Wasn't this guy interested in buying the Penguins last year with the intention of moving them?   
KCFutbol wrote: Great, another absentee owner.
I don't think we have any other choice...
phxcat
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by phxcat »

Staples Center has two NBA teams and an NHL team.

Unless we can develop a few more billionaires an absentee owner is the best we can do.  This is good news, and I will take what we can get, though I would much rather get NBA!
eliphar17
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by eliphar17 »

From the KCBJ:
Leiweke said the NHL pursuit is a higher priority than bringing the National Basketball Association to Kansas City.

"There's no active conversations that lead us to believe that this is more likely an NBA city than an NHL city," Leiweke said. "There's much more enthusiasm, quite frankly, within the league, within potential ownership, within the city, toward the NHL."
aknowledgeableperson
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by aknowledgeableperson »

[quote="AF"]
http://www.kansascity.com/mld/kansascity/16047252.htm

California businessman wants to buy NHL team for Sprint Center
By RANDY COVITZ
The Kansas City Star

William “Bootsâ€
I may be right.  I may be wrong.  But there is a lot of gray area in-between.
kard
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by kard »

aknowledgeableperson wrote: A big announcement that really means nothing.  First, no team is officially up for bid.  Two, there is no guarantee that if a team is sold he would be a successful bidder.  Three, if he were successful there is no assurances that the NHL would approve a move to KCMO.  And so on and so on.
This announcement does not mean much more than the chef making a press release stating the same.
So why would an announcement like this be made at all?
Haikus are easy
But sometimes they don't make sense
Refrigerator
aknowledgeableperson
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by aknowledgeableperson »

Why are most news announcements made at all when nothing substantial is announced?  To have some publicity.  To make it look like you are doing something.
I may be right.  I may be wrong.  But there is a lot of gray area in-between.
Topeka Blade
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by Topeka Blade »

I'm getting my mileage out this post, which went up on another board earlier.  But why rewrite the same thing?

Ever since Balsillie agreed to buy the Penguins and said that he had no interest in Kansas City, I've been expecting CYA publicity from AEG and Mayor Barnes. The Robitaille story at mid-week was the teaser. There had to be a bigger story coming. And so, when I picked up the Star today and saw the front page I thought, there it is.

And the story is a snoozer. We have an owner, and he's not local, which should really p___ off the KC hockey faithful. Since the Blades left, we've been told there would be no hockey team without local ownership. We have probably lost opportunities because of that policy, but it did get us the Outlaws in the UHL, because the guy lived close enough to KC to be considered local. Thanks a lot.

And what a coincidence--the potential owner is a business associate of Robitaille! What are the odds! And he's also the one that early stories suggested would buy the Penguins and move them to Kansas City! That's so encouraging!

Did somebody check when Barnes said she never expected a team (when the arena opened) whether or not she kept a straight face or had her fingers crossed behind her back?

I swear I'm at the point where I want to say I don't want to hear anything about KC hockey until there is a serious announcement about a team. But I suspect that would be like the story about Joan Payson , the owner of baseball's 1962 New York Mets, they of the 40-120 season. She went to Europe and was cabled news of the team, which generally kept losing. she finally cabled back, "Wire me only when we win." She never heard from America again during the remainder of her trip.

If I wait for a serious announcement, I may never hear from Kansas City again . . .
Maitre D
The Quiet Chair
The Quiet Chair

Post by Maitre D »

I don't get the marketing reasons for making these announcements.  If they're bogus anyway, aren't you just reinforcing in people's minds, that we didnt get a team?

you'd think they'd just let it die, like when Glass was nowhere to be seen during the disgusting 19-game skid last year by the Royals.  why comment?  just hope it goes away.
[img width=472 height=40]http://media.kansascity.com/images/champions_blue.gif[/img]

"For 15 years...KU won every time. There was no rivalry" - Frank Martin
kcdcchef
The Quiet Chair
The Quiet Chair

Post by kcdcchef »

pittsburghparoyal wrote: I don't get the marketing reasons for making these announcements.  If they're bogus anyway, aren't you just reinforcing in people's minds, that we didnt get a team?

you'd think they'd just let it die, like when Glass was nowhere to be seen during the disgusting 19-game skid last year by the Royals.  why comment?  just hope it goes away.
see pp'ass??

i told you that you would be bitching about glass at some point today. you just picked a totally unrelated thread.
MU FINISHED THE YEAR RANKED HIGHER IN HOOPS AND FOOTBALL THAN THE KAY U JAYDORKS. UP YOURS KAY U JAYDORK FANS!!!! :D :D :D :D :D
HockeyPunkKC
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by HockeyPunkKC »

as far as im concerned, news is good news.  having a possible owner is very good news, even if it falls through.  at least its still being talked about and there are still possibilities.

when all news stops on the subject, then ill call that bad.
KCMax
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by KCMax »

aknowledgeableperson wrote: Why are most news announcements made at all when nothing substantial is announced?  To have some publicity.  To make it look like you are doing something.
It got people here excited didn't it?
SAVE THE PLAZA - FROM ZOMBIES! Find out how at:

http://twitter.com/TheKCRag
Topeka Blade
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by Topeka Blade »

It finally sank in that the only reason we had this announcement was the timing of the induction ceremonies of the National Collegiate Basketball Hall of Fame, a component of the Sprint Center.  With attention focused there, AEG probably felt they had to do something that made it look like something was actually happening.
mykem
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by mykem »

I read the star yesterday, and I think these guys are letting us know that they are still trying.and as hockeypunk said "news is good news". I like to be informed once in awhile on the status of where we are with landing a team.
KCMax
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by KCMax »

We don’t have an NBA ownership or an NBA franchise that is talking about moving here,â€
SAVE THE PLAZA - FROM ZOMBIES! Find out how at:

http://twitter.com/TheKCRag
KC0KEK
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by KC0KEK »

KCMax wrote: I've read in two different accounts from two different newspapers that someone offered to buy the Seattle SuperSonics and move them to Kansas City. Why won't anyone at the Star try to confirm or deny this or find out who it was???
Maybe they're still trying to confirm it. Or maybe they did some digging and found that both reports were false. If it's the latter, the story probably wouldn't run because there isn't much of a story. It would come out Onion-like, such as, "No One Really Tried to Buy NBA Team to Move to KC."