Arabia Steamboat Museum Looking for New Home

Issues concerning Downtown as described by the Downtown Council. River to 31st Street, I-35 to Bruce R. Watkins.
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Re: Arabia Steamboat Museum Looking for New Home

Post by normalthings »

Their leaving is pretty much guaranteed. St Charles project development is pretty far along.
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Post by GRID »

KCPowercat wrote: Tue May 31, 2022 12:24 pm I don't want to see it leave KC but not a fan of them at the current location. That would be better used as an indoor portion of the market similar to the Cleveland one.
Maybe so. It just seems like a KC legacy attraction so it would be a bummer to lose it. Sounds like it's all but gone already.

Also, don't get too excited about them being gone helping with bringing back concerts etc. The more residents that move into the River Market, the more NIMBYS that will also move there.

You would not believe all the complaining people in the Navy Yard for example. They move to an area that has a baseball stadium in it and all they do is complain about noise etc. Now the stadium can't shoot fireworks and the few times they do, they are often canceled even on 4th of july if the game goes past 10:30 PM. Small concert venues have had to close etc. Why people would move to a district like that and bitch about festivals, fireworks, loud music from clubs etc is beyond me.
Last edited by GRID on Tue May 31, 2022 1:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

Always thought the Arabia block would be a great addition to the market. Build on the parking lots too and you can have a pretty large covered area.

Bring the Chinese and Vietnamese groceries as anchors to this new development (redevelop their existing locations to housing).
mean
Administrator
Administrator

Post by mean »

I'm sure when everyone gets their wish and the Royals move downtown, we will not have any such problems and fireworks Fridays will continue with no complaint.
Rabble
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by Rabble »

If St. Charles can build the museum on the Missouri river I'll look forward to a visit. The actual river needs to be part of the museum experience. The current location is depressing because you exit out of a freight house basement that's 5 blocks from the river.

A rebuilt city wharf at the foot of Main would be a great location for the next river boat museum.
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Post by GRID »

mean wrote: Tue May 31, 2022 1:39 pm I'm sure when everyone gets their wish and the Royals move downtown, we will not have any such problems and fireworks Fridays will continue with no complaint.
I can't tell if you are being serious or not lol.
AlkaliAxel
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by AlkaliAxel »

KCPowercat wrote: Tue May 31, 2022 12:24 pm I don't want to see it leave KC but not a fan of them at the current location. That would be better used as an indoor portion of the market similar to the Cleveland one.
This is why I've been actively rooting for Steamboat to leave for a long time.

Other wishes for this space:
1. A rooftop component to City Market in this spot. Pike Place market has something similar
2. A KC visitors center here. It would be the perfect spot with all these crowds.
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Post by GRID »

I like the idea of an active rooftop on that building. That would be pretty cool.
mean
Administrator
Administrator

Post by mean »

GRID wrote: Tue May 31, 2022 1:49 pm
mean wrote: Tue May 31, 2022 1:39 pm I'm sure when everyone gets their wish and the Royals move downtown, we will not have any such problems and fireworks Fridays will continue with no complaint.
No, of course not. I suspect that kind of thing would go over even less well here than it does there. Downtown KC zoomers gonna be all like, "What's all that racket? It wasn't like this at 375th and Shitweasel! I'm going to file a complaint! They shoulda put it by the racetrack!"
dukuboy1
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by dukuboy1 »

really hate that this very unique place is leaving for all places STL. I hope this ruffles enough feathers around town to fund museums more and even inspire some new ones to open we need more places like this. There will be a big hole once it leaves. Would love to see void filled within town with more museums and as for current location something iconic for the River Market
Anthony_Hugo98
Penntower
Penntower

Post by Anthony_Hugo98 »

mean wrote: Tue May 31, 2022 4:48 pm
GRID wrote: Tue May 31, 2022 1:49 pm
No, of course not. I suspect that kind of thing would go over even less well here than it does there. Downtown KC zoomers gonna be all like, "What's all that racket? It wasn't like this at 375th and Shitweasel! I'm going to file a complaint! They shoulda put it by the racetrack!"
Can’t tell if the implication is Zoomers are somehow inherently anti-urban, but that couldn’t be further from the truth…
TheLastGentleman
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by TheLastGentleman »

mean wrote: Tue May 31, 2022 4:48 pmNo, of course not. I suspect that kind of thing would go over even less well here than it does there. Downtown KC boomers gonna be all like, "What's all that racket? It wasn't like this at 375th and Shitweasel! I'm going to file a complaint! They shoulda put it by the racetrack!"
Fixed it for ya
shinatoo
Ambassador

Post by shinatoo »

Sounds like Mr. Hawley might have an inflated view of the value of his collection.

https://cityscenekc.com/steamboat-arabi ... -new-port/
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

Does anybody want this thing?
Cratedigger
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by Cratedigger »

shinatoo wrote: Wed Dec 28, 2022 11:11 am Sounds like Mr. Hawley might have an inflated view of the value of his collection.

https://cityscenekc.com/steamboat-arabi ... -new-port/
Since the American Royal is moving, could you put it there? Would give families in town for children’s tournaments at Kemper something to do in between matches.
brewcrew1000
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by brewcrew1000 »

KCPowercat wrote: Wed Dec 28, 2022 11:25 am Does anybody want this thing?
Where else could you put it? I'm assuming he wants it along the Missouri River in a fairly populated area. Jeff City or St Joe are the only other options it seems, could put it in Leavenworth also if he wants it in Kansas
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

It's weird because it is a unique attraction but nobody seems to want it. I mean I want it out of RM.
droopy
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by droopy »

It sounds like people are interested but not to a scale that satisfies Hawley. I just hope KC is getting enough rent from them to offset the inability to fully utilize the River Market based off the limitations the museum has been able to put in place.
WoodDraw
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by WoodDraw »

KCPowercat wrote: Wed Dec 28, 2022 11:58 am It's weird because it is a unique attraction but nobody seems to want it. I mean I want it out of RM.
He doesn’t have the best reputation for being easy to work with.
moderne
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by moderne »

Probably end up out of state. Both Pittsburgh and Cincinnati are interested and already have steamboat related attractions and events. KC cannot even support a faux steamboat excursion boat as most river cities have. Seems to be a general lack of interest of the past of KC here.