OFFICIAL - Corbin Park (135th and Metcalf)

Find out what's going on in the Sunflower State's portions of the Metro here.
chrizow
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

One Corbin Park (135th and Metcalf)

Post by chrizow »

my girlfriend is from scottsdale AZ. she wears sweaters and jeans here in MO when it is 75. hehehhe
Highlander
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by Highlander »

DanCa wrote:Oh, I know. I get cold on a 65° day. And to think I might be moving back to Denver after 10 years in the O.C. I'll need blood thickeners!
I know this is off thread...but... I remember sitting outside on the 16th street mall in a short sleave shirt on a February day in Denver and being quite comfortable back when I lived there. A few weeks earlier, we had a 36" snowstorm. Denver can have some really mild days in the middle of winter. At 5280', your blood will indeed get thicker ....as in more red blood cells.
chnchlla88
Parking Garage
Parking Garage

Post by chnchlla88 »

I hope this new "lifestyle center" doesn't get another Jones Store. How many do we need in JoCo...ugh! Especially when there are all 3 within a 5 mile radius of each other! :x
DanCa
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by DanCa »

I know this is off thread...but... I remember sitting outside on the 16th street mall in a short sleave shirt on a February day in Denver and being quite comfortable back when I lived there. A few weeks earlier, we had a 36" snowstorm. Denver can have some really mild days in the middle of winter. At 5280', your blood will indeed get thicker ....as in more red blood cells.[/quote]

I lived in Denver for 3 years and they get the craziest weather I've ever seen. I've seen people laying out in lounge chairs getting a tan in 80° sun between piles of snow. I've gone to the zoo on New Year's Day in a t-shirt, eaten outside in December and shoveled 10" of snow on the last day of summer. Overall I'd say Denver gets a lot more days per year when it's comfortable to be outside than KC. Also, no humidity and few bugs.
LCDSI
New York Life
New York Life

Post by LCDSI »

alright guys any news on this development? the website says that it will be open by 2006. based on that they should start construction pretty soon i'd assume
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

website?
http://downtownkcmo.blogspot.com

Tweeting live from Big 12 tournament @downtownkc
LCDSI
New York Life
New York Life

Post by LCDSI »

KCPowercat wrote:website?
If you visit the Cormac website it has an estimated grand opening date of September 2006

http://www.cormaccompany.com/profile_corbinpark.shtml
KC0KEK
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by KC0KEK »

Larger regional mall plans met with approval

By: Adam Lee, Sun

It turns out the developers of the 1-million-plus-square-foot, open-air regional mall that is proposed for the southeast corner of 135th Street and Metcalf Avenue underestimated their market.

The developers, Cormac Co. of Omaha, Neb., submitted a revised preliminary plan to the city of Overland Park that increases the size of the mall by 51,520 square feet to meet the demand of an unexpectedly large number of tempted tenants.

The addition brings the total size of the development, now being billed Corbin Park, to 1,057,725 square feet.

Overland Park Senior Planner Bob Lindeblad said the city staff, as well as the Planning Commission, believe the revised plan is an improvement over the original.

The Overland Park City Council approved the changed plan this week.

John Petersen, Cormac's representing attorney, said many of the changes were driven by the needs of actual tenants. While the developer was not at liberty to divulge the names of specific retailers that are involved in the project, Petersen said things were shaping up soundly.

"In real estate parlance, this is very quickly becoming a real plan," Petersen said.

Scott Slaggie, principal and partner with Jantsch-Slaggie Architects of Kansas City, Mo., said the addition was made to meet a demand that was greater than initially expected.

"The response from prospective tenants has been so overwhelming that we needed to build in more opportunities to accommodate them," Slaggie said.

The added space would house a variety of tenants, Slaggie said, and would include both retail and office space.

Overall, Slaggie said, Corbin Park is expected to bring in at least 20 different retail concepts that will be new to the Kansas City area.

Those businesses will range in merchandise offered and also in size, including two-story 130,000-square-foot spaces, two-story 40,000-square-foot spaces and single-story 2,000- to 3,000-square-foot storefronts. The plan also calls for a two-story, 50,000-square-foot office building and for office uses interspersed with the retail areas.

The city planning staff said the revised plan maintains the developers' previous concept of an internally oriented main-street design but that the buildings' orientations had been changed to a more traditional grid pattern.

Slaggie said the new layout brings the buildings nearer to Metcalf, allowing greater visibility, and will also make it easier for shoppers to find their way around.

In addition to the closer proximity to the thoroughfare, the development is also designed to take advantage of the site's natural incline to make store locations more conspicuous. Slaggie said the grade of the property changes approximately 50 feet from the northwest corner, near 135th Street and Metcalf, to the southeast corner, near 138th Street and Lamar, allowing buildings to be terraced at different elevations, enhancing their visibility.

The project will still have a main street running through the center of the development with head-in, storefront parking. Slaggie said that is enhanced in the latest plan, with access to Lamar Avenue accentuating that feature.

The project will also still consist of separate districts for dining and entertainment, fashion, health and beauty, and domestic goods and furniture, where like retailers are clustered together, Slaggie said.

"As you go there for a specific use, you have all of those offerings right there at your disposal. We believe that to be a huge advantage," he said.

One of those areas would be an entertainment district featuring upscale restaurants with a water feature that would start in the center of the site and cascade toward the northwest with a waterfall spilling into a pool near the corner of 135th and Metcalf.

But the developers have made a change in the way they are planning to approach the actual construction of the mall based on the response from potential occupants.

"At one time, we were thinking that the whole thing was going to be done in phases, but there has been so much interest in this project, we believe it will be almost in one phase," Slaggie said.

©The Johnson County Sun 2004
chrizow
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by chrizow »

20 retail concepts new to the KC area...

good news for JoCo, bad news for the Plaza.

just another example of Highwoods not aggressively going after exclusive tenants.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

I wouldn't say that is necessarily bad for the Plaza. Bed, BAth, & Beyond was once a new retail concept...did you want that in the plaza?
http://downtownkcmo.blogspot.com

Tweeting live from Big 12 tournament @downtownkc
LCDSI
New York Life
New York Life

Post by LCDSI »

chrizow wrote:20 retail concepts new to the KC area...

good news for JoCo, bad news for the Plaza.

just another example of Highwoods not aggressively going after exclusive tenants.
i think this will also be bad news for town center plaza. oak park mall i think will be ok since they have nordstroms and i don't think nordstroms would build a second location so close to their existing store.
chrizow
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by chrizow »

KCPowercat wrote:I wouldn't say that is necessarily bad for the Plaza. Bed, BAth, & Beyond was once a new retail concept...did you want that in the plaza?
true, but out of the 20 allegedly going into this new center, i think it's safe to say that 5-8 at least will be Plaza "caliber" (whatever that is anymore).
Maitre D
The Quiet Chair
The Quiet Chair

What's coming to 135th & Metcalf?

Post by Maitre D »

I live right there, and I think TK posted something on a development Zona-Rosa type thing there?

I drove by the other day, and there's a major reservoir there now. Like a lake will be incorporated. Pretty sweet.
[img width=472 height=40]http://media.kansascity.com/images/champions_blue.gif[/img]

"For 15 years...KU won every time. There was no rivalry" - Frank Martin
trailerkid
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by trailerkid »

Actually Pitt, there is about 3-4 large shopping centers going in along 135th. The largest is One Corbin Park which will hold over 1 M square feet of retail alone. The others look to be mostly dressed up big box and chain restaurants.
Tosspot
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by Tosspot »

one million square feet huh?

What's the square footage of Zona Rosa, I'm curious? Just for comparison.

photoblog. 

until further notice i will routinely point out spelling errors committed by any here whom i frequently do battle wit
trailerkid
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by trailerkid »

Tosspot wrote: What's the square footage of Zona Rosa, I'm curious? Just for comparison.
Zona Rosa is also over 1 M square feet, but that includes phase II which will be built directly north of that creek and Majestic Theatres.
Chesterfieldkid03
Parking Garage
Parking Garage

Post by Chesterfieldkid03 »

Has there been any annoucement as to what stores will be going in this mall?
trailerkid
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by trailerkid »

Chesterfieldkid03 wrote:Has there been any annoucement as to what stores will be going in this mall?
Nope, but suposedly there will 20+ store/restaurant concepts new to Kansas City.
LCDSI
New York Life
New York Life

Post by LCDSI »

based off todays kc bj, one corbin park should break ground by late fall and announce some tenants within 30 days.

http://www.bizjournals.com/kansascity/s ... ily26.html

LATEST NEWS
2:40 PM CST Wednesday
Area's retail space flies off the shelves
More than 7 million square feet of new shopping center space -- about 3.8 square feet for every resident of the Kansas City metropolitan area -- has been added to the metro market during the past five years.

That's one statistic contained in the 2005 Kansas City Shopping Center Report the R.H. Johnson Co. released Wednesday.

More than 1.2 million square feet of new shopping center space has been added to the market during the past 12 months, the study said, and an additional 1 million square feet is under construction.

Meanwhile, an Omaha development company is preparing to start construction of 1.1 million more square feet of retail space at 135th Street and Metcalf Avenue in Overland Park. The Cormac Co. is developing One Corbin Park, an open-air mall.

Cormac spokesman John Dewhurst said that site grading will be completed the spring and that construction of retail buildings will begin by late fall. The mall is expected to open by September 2006, he said.

Dewhurst said that several retailers had signed letters of intent to locate at One Corbin Park and that some tenants should be announced within 30 days.

The south Johnson County area where the mall is being built is one of the Kansas City submarkets with "impressively low" shopping center vacancy rates, according to the R.H. Johnson report.

The vacancy rate in south Johnson County is 2.73 percent, behind only Lee's Summit, 1.51 percent, and Liberty, 0.23 percent, the report said.

As of Jan. 1, the report said, the metropolitan area's overall shopping center vacancy rate was 9.05 percent -- 1 percentage point higher than the Jan. 1, 2004 rate.

Approximately 60 percent of the vacancy in the Kansas City market is attributable to "big box" spaces of 25,000 square feet or larger, the report said. Thirty-two big boxes totaling 1.9 million square feet are vacant, the report said, and the 1.3 million-square-foot balance of the vacancy was attributable to smaller stores.

The average asking rate for a space of 1,000 to 5,000 square feet is $18.31, up 10.4 percent from last year, the report said.

© 2005 American City Business Journals Inc.

All contents of this site © American City Business Journals Inc. All rights reserved.
Kaye
Parking Garage
Parking Garage

One Corbin Park

Post by Kaye »

Is this mall supposed to have two department store anchors? Does anyone have any idea what the other store is besides Von Maur?
Kaye aka Karin