OFFICIAL: 4646 Broadway (George Birt tries the Plaza)

Discuss items in the urban core outside of Downtown as described above. Everything in the core including the east side (18th & Vine area), Northeast, Plaza, Westport, Brookside, Valentine, Waldo, 39th street, & the entire midtown area.
KCLofts
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by KCLofts »

Website is up and running. 4646broadway.com

Homeowner's dues of $700-$800 per month - ouch.
rxlexi
Penntower
Penntower

Post by rxlexi »

some great pictures on the website, thanks...
are we spinning free?
KCLofts
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by KCLofts »

Pricing is now up on the site. $565K to $1.625M. They have decided to offer floors 6-10 as full floor units instead of 2 per floor. So only 18 units now.

This should be interesting. At 1975 sq ft, the half-floor units aren't all that big for the money. The full-floor units are very big and very expensive.

It seems like the downscaling of the building size may cause some sales challenges.
DanCa
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by DanCa »

For $565K you could get that much room in a house here in Orange County. Actually, I just check the pricing on 2 18-story condo towers currently under construction here in Irvine (w/mountain and ocean views) and for $524K you get 1300 sq. feet. $1.6 million gets you 2088 sq. ft. Seems like these Plaza condos are a bit steep for the overall market. I mean, you can rent crappy apartments for $500 a month within walking distance of this place.
chrizow
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by chrizow »

i think these units are intentionally priced at a premium. you might be able to get that much "space" in orange county, and you might be able to get a house in JoCo twice that big for half that much, but then you wouldn't be living in the newest, most exclusive and luxurious building in the most exclusive district in the whole metro.

i say it's overpriced too for my tastes, but they obviously aren't catering to people like myself.
DanCa
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by DanCa »

I don't know where the highrise Plaza condo market is right now so maybe it's in line with others. Plus having a view in KC is something you'll pay dearly for.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

Kirkwood places are running about this price and they are selling fast.

I don't think KC can support a 1000' tower on the plaza with these prices but there is a high end market out there.
http://downtownkcmo.blogspot.com

Tweeting live from Big 12 tournament @downtownkc
dangerboy
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by dangerboy »

The price does not reflect the size, but rather the location, amenities, demographics of the neighbors, and conveniences of maintenance-free home.
BVC
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by BVC »

Not to mention a 1000' tower cannot be built on the Plaza with the height restrictions.
KCLofts
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by KCLofts »

They're certainly catering to the highest end of the KC market. Just imagine, after paying $1M+ for a place, and then being hit for about $1500 in homeowner's dues each month!

As far as I can tell from the renderings, the Plaza view units will primarily have a view of the big condo tower just across the street to the south. Not sure what the city views to the north will be. So its hard to say exactly what kinds of views you're paying for.

I think the whole reason they had to combine two units into one is because they either realized, or got complaints, that 1975 sq ft isn't enough space for people who are looking in this price range. But their alternative for providing more space may now have priced a lot of people out of the market. That was my point - the "affordable" units are too small and the big units aren't affordable.

I think their square foot prices are attainable. I just don't think their floor plan options - 1975 or 3972 sq. ft. - are ideal. I think it would probably be easier to sell if they were in the 2200-2700 sq ft range.
Critical_Mass
Colonnade
Colonnade

Post by Critical_Mass »

I can see a construction crane somewhere in the plaza area from the offices I work at in Westport. Does anyone know what it is for? I haven't bothered to go by and see where it is set-up.
The crane isn't one of those blue monsters w/ the JE Dunn logos that you see at the Nelson or the one that used to be at Kirkwood. It is a much smaller one like in Scooter's H&R site demolition photos.
WoodDraw
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by WoodDraw »

I was just down on the Plaza and saw it as well I didn't have the time to go check it out but I'm interested in what it was too.
BVC
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by BVC »

From my apartment's vantage point overlooking the Plaza, there are no cranes at the 4646 site. In fact, yesterday I drove by while avoiding 47th St and saw nothing but the rendering at the site and the La Salle bank sign. Kirkwood still has a smaller crane or two there and the Nelson has the heavy lifters over there.
Critical_Mass
Colonnade
Colonnade

Post by Critical_Mass »

I'm looking at the thing now. In fact I see two cranes. One is further off, and could be at the Kirkwood site. One is close, and from my vantage point, looks like it is on the far side of those suburban style Westport apartments...
staubio
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by staubio »

Critical_Mass wrote:I'm looking at the thing now. In fact I see two cranes. One is further off, and could be at the Kirkwood site. One is close, and from my vantage point, looks like it is on the far side of those suburban style Westport apartments...
Yes, there is a crane behind that scourge of the neighborhood, Bishop Spencer Place. They are building at the back of their property.
Deleted User

Post by Deleted User »

Last edited by Deleted User on Wed Mar 08, 2006 12:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
missingkc
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by missingkc »

tat2kc
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by tat2kc »

Those damn old people kick em out of the urban core. We shouldn't have to look at housing designed for older, possibly disabled people!
Are you sure we're talking about the same God here, because yours sounds kind of like a dick.
staubio
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by staubio »

tat2kc wrote:Those damn old people kick em out of the urban core. We shouldn't have to look at housing designed for older, possibly disabled people!
Nice bait -- but I think you are off the mark. Do the elderly require a place that is hostile to the street, completely car-centric and fenced and gated? If they aren't going to venture outside of the compound and don't want to interact with the neighborhood, then I'm with you -- get them out of the core. 43rd is a place for a natural extension of Westport. As it matures, this is a neighborhood that could be for everyone. Picking a plot in the middle of the city and building a fenced complex hurts both the people that live there, taking no advantage of the environment, and the neighborhood.
tat2kc
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by tat2kc »

the fence and gate are also there to protect the residents with mentail health issues, including Alzhiemers (sp) from wandering off o hurting themselves. I have absolutely no problems with a fenced in "compound" in this instance.
Are you sure we're talking about the same God here, because yours sounds kind of like a dick.