2013 - 2014 College Football Season

Can't get enough of sports even on a development board? Get your fix here. Expect heavy moderation on smack talk.
longviewmo
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Re: 2013 - 2014 College Football Season

Post by longviewmo »

Attendance was 41,000 for that game.
KCtonic
New York Life
New York Life

Post by KCtonic »

longviewmo wrote:Attendance was 41,000 for that game.
I did see that 41,894 was the announced attendance... but I can't believe that is true.

For good measure, here's another shot taken at halftime in that game when the score was tied up.

Last edited by KCtonic on Tue Oct 15, 2013 9:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
AllThingsKC
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by AllThingsKC »

Mizzou got as high as #14 by beating a top 10 team on the road. Mizzou wouldn't have been able to accomplish that in the Big 12....because the Big 12 has no top 10 teams.
longviewmo wrote:Attendance was 41,000 for that game.
Well, 41,000 ticket were sold, yes. Actual attendance? Well...
knucklehead
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by knucklehead »

Adding West Virgina and TCU were panic moves. Neither was "ready" for the Big 12.

West Virgina was particularly stupid given in location and small TV market.

TCU was stupid as well, given its size and the fact that the Big 12 already had most of the Dallas TV market.

Oklahoma will eventually figure out that it is killing its national brand name by staying in the Big 12. My guess is they would move to the SEC in a heart beat if invited. All that needs to happen is for the Oklahoma legislature to wise up and let them go without Okie State.

The SEC doesn't need to make panic moves. It won't take Okie State just to get Oklahoma.

If Oklahoma leaves the Big 12 becomes completely unacceptable to Texas.
KCMax
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by KCMax »

KCtonic wrote:
KCMax wrote:Mizzou would be a serious contender - perhaps even the favorite - for the Big 12 right now.

Instead, they'll probably finish - what - 4th in the SEC?

Would Mizzou fans be pretty thrilled with that?
The Big 12 this year is pretty weak really. Even the SEC is down a bit this year, but nothing like the Big 12. So yeah, I guess Mizzou would probably be 6-0 if they were still part of the Big 12, but you know what? I prefer that same mid-season record in the SEC any day. As far as how things will end up the rest of the season that's anyone's guess. Either way it should be fun to watch.

Since we're talking about the Big 12, how does everyone feel about those TCU and West Virginia additions now that we're over a year into this? I was pretty shocked by this photo at TCU from last week:

Yes, that was during the game when TCU was up 24-17 early in the 4th quarter http://www.cbssports.com/collegefootbal ... ansas-game

Sidenote: As far as football goes, I really don't miss the Big 12 games at all. I miss Mizzou playing Nebraska and perhaps Oklahoma a little, but beyond that not much. The Mizzou vs Kansas game was fun during the Mangino years, but playing Kansas right now is about like playing a Div II school. My wife went to Kansas and I miss that rivalry in basketball a lot, but it's almost like Kansas has given up on football.
The Big 12 is very weak. Of course, if Mizzou and A&M and Nebraska were still in it, it would probably be considered the second best conference right now. And Mizzou would probably be in the mix to win the conference. Its no surprise when you lose four programs and have to pick up two mid-majors, you're going to get much weaker.

TCU and West Virginia were the best of bad options. I still don't understand how the Big 12 failed to get Louisville, but I suspect the conference will kick itself over that for awhile.

Yea, you do have to wonder how long Oklahoma puts up with the conference being subpar. I guess I can envision a scenario where Texas rises again to national prominence, Baylor continues their rise and replaces A&M esesentially, and Oklahoma State is consistently good. Maybe TCU and WV become decent programs that to go lower tier bowls year in and year out. I still feel like the conference needs to make a big move to stay relevant, like poaching someone from a big conference like Clemson or (pipedream) Arkansas or Notre Dame.
aknowledgeableperson
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by aknowledgeableperson »

If Oklahoma leaves the Big 12 becomes completely unacceptable to Texas.
It would be acceptable to Texas if it leaves also.
chingon
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by chingon »

harbinger911 wrote:What's appalling is the lack of complete coverage from the local sports media - truly pathetic.
It's not really appalling, its a reality of the situation. KC has pro football. College football has and always will take a backseat to that, even SEC football - which, it bears mentioning, not many people in this market follow. Mizzou sports have always been the 3rd or 4th string fanbase in this city, behind the Cheifs, Royals and KU Basketball (which is big primarily because we don't have a pro basketball team).

Bottom line is Mizzou effectively left this market -- which is a market with strong historical and current ties to the Big 8/12 -- when it joined the SEC, and it will take a lot of time and sustained success in the SEC, for that to change. Even when it does, college football will never be as big in KC as it is in the south, especially outstate and in states with no pro teams like Georgia, Mississippi, etc.

All of the "excitement and passion" of the SEC is (literally) "bush league" compared to the NFL, and we have an NFL fanbase with a higher than average level of dedication. So expect Mizzou to get the coverage it "deserves" here - which is marginally more than say Oregon or Alabama or Nebraska any other very good team in a conference with no ties to the metro.
KCtonic
New York Life
New York Life

Post by KCtonic »

chingon wrote:
harbinger911 wrote:What's appalling is the lack of complete coverage from the local sports media - truly pathetic.
It's not really appalling, its a reality of the situation. KC has pro football. College football has and always will take a backseat to that, even SEC football - which, it bears mentioning, not many people in this market follow. Mizzou sports have always been the 3rd or 4th string fanbase in this city, behind the Cheifs, Royals and KU Basketball (which is big primarily because we don't have a pro basketball team).

Bottom line is Mizzou effectively left this market -- which is a market with strong historical and current ties to the Big 8/12 -- when it joined the SEC, and it will take a lot of time and sustained success in the SEC, for that to change. Even when it does, college football will never be as big in KC as it is in the south, especially outstate and in states with no pro teams like Georgia, Mississippi, etc.

All of the "excitement and passion" of the SEC is (literally) "bush league" compared to the NFL, and we have an NFL fanbase with a higher than average level of dedication. So expect Mizzou to get the coverage it "deserves" here - which is marginally more than say Oregon or Alabama or Nebraska any other very good team in a conference with no ties to the metro.
And just like that... chingon jumps the shark ;) Nice try though.

KC's Sports Market City Rank per sport as of 1/2010:
Pro Football #16
Pro Baseball *Not in the top 20
Pro Basketball & Hockey *duh
College Football #17
College Basketball #6

Overall not to shabby for KC. Lots of sports fans around here. Would be interested to see the numbers for soccer and NASCAR.

http://www.themediaaudit.com/media/4790 ... an2010.pdf

btw, I personally don't think the coverage has been that bad. At least not worse than before.
chingon
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by chingon »

KCtonic wrote: And just like that... chingon jumps the shark ;) Nice try though.

Pro Football #16
College Football #17
College Basketball #6

btw, I personally don't thing the coverage has been that bad. At least not worse than before.
Maybe I'm reading those stats wrong...aren't they a ranking of cmarkets relative to other markets (not ranking the sports affinities inside each town)?

Also, since KC is ranked higher for pro football fanbase (both in terms of relative ranking and gross numbers) for more or less a single team, versus college football's (at least) 2-way split, doesn't that also mean there are just a lot more Chiefs fans than Mizzou fans or KSU or "SEC" fans? Doesn't it also suggest that college basketball is very nearly equal to college football in terms of gross numbers? And those numbers certainly skew heavily towards Kansas.

I mean, I'm reading that chart and with the exception of baseball (whose numbers I'd love to see) it looks like it only affirms my points.
KCtonic
New York Life
New York Life

Post by KCtonic »

chingon wrote:
KCtonic wrote: And just like that... chingon jumps the shark ;) Nice try though.

Pro Football #16
College Football #17
College Basketball #6

btw, I personally don't thing the coverage has been that bad. At least not worse than before.
Maybe I'm reading those stats wrong...aren't they a ranking of cmarkets relative to other markets (not ranking the sports affinities inside each town)?

Also, since KC is ranked higher for pro football fanbase (both in terms of relative ranking and gross numbers) for more or less a single team, versus college football's (at least) 2-way split, doesn't that also mean there are just a lot more Chiefs fans than Mizzou fans or KSU or "SEC" fans? Doesn't it also suggest that college basketball is very nearly equal to college football in terms of gross numbers? And those numbers certainly skew heavily towards Kansas.

I mean, I'm reading that chart and with the exception of baseball (whose numbers I'd love to see) it looks like it only affirms my points.
The ranking is based on % Media Viewers of given sport vs total population of the city. If your point is that this is a Pro town and there is little interest in College etc, than your point is wrong. If your point is that a greater percentage of the KC population watch a Chiefs game vs a college game than that's true - but it doesn't mean KC has fewer people watching college football vs. another city really. To me it just shows KC people watch too much dang sports whether it be pro or college ;)

Just for fun, here's a little info on the TV ratings for last week's college games:

http://espnmediazone.com/us/press-relea ... -for-espn/
ESPN2’s prime-time telecast of Georgia at Missouri averaged a 2.4 US rating (2.8 coverage), 4,119,000 viewers and 2,726,000 households, making it the network’s highest-rated and most-viewed Saturday regular-season college football game.
In addition to a large national rating, ESPN2’s Georgia at Missouri telecast garnered significant local interest. It was the network’s highest rated college football game in Atlanta and St. Louis ever, averaging an 18.4 metered market rating in Atlanta and 12.7 in St. Louis. The telecast was also the second highest rated college football game ever in Kansas City with a 14.0 metered market rating (Oklahoma St at Missouri on October 11, 2008 averaged a 15.0).
AllThingsKC
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by AllThingsKC »

KCMax wrote:The Big 12 is very weak. Of course, if Mizzou and A&M and Nebraska were still in it, it would probably be considered the second best conference right now. And Mizzou would probably be in the mix to win the conference. Its no surprise when you lose four programs and have to pick up two mid-majors, you're going to get much weaker.

=D> =D> =D> =D> YES! Right on! Exactly! You're one of the few Big 12 fans who "get it."

Many Big 12 fans said that WVU/TCU were an "upgrade" over MU/A&M. Does anyone still honestly believe that? Rather than incorrectly blame Mizzou for the Big 12's problems, why didn't those schools rally together to demand better from the conference leaders? I don't understand why KSU, KU, ISU, and whoever else just don't do that. Rather than say, "HEY LOOK, WE UPGRADED!," why not say, "HEY! We downgraded and we demand better"?

When the Big 12 was trying to stay alive, it still missed the boat by not taking Louisville. Even now, I cannot point to one single thing I think the Big 12 is doing right to improve. KU, K-State, and ISU deserve so much better than this backward-thinking conference.
chingon
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by chingon »

KCtonic wrote: If your point is that a greater percentage of the KC population watch a Chiefs game vs a college game than that's true

This one was my point, or part of my point, which was that Mizzou's great success this season might seem to a Mizzou fan to be getting short shrift in the local media, but its really just getting the piece of the pie that it always gets: which is not the biggest piece, nor should it be. Pro football gets the biggest coverage because there are more pro football fans, the fanbase isn't split up the way the college football fanbase is, and the Chiefs are also having a thrillingly and unexpectedly successful season. Now if there were 3 NFL teams within 2 hours of the metro, it might be a different story...but it seems reasonable to me to expect a that even if Mizzou were to win the CWS in baseball, a 90-loss Royals teams would get more coverage.
KCtonic
New York Life
New York Life

Post by KCtonic »

chingon wrote:
KCtonic wrote: If your point is that a greater percentage of the KC population watch a Chiefs game vs a college game than that's true

This one was my point, or part of my point, which was that Mizzou's great success this season might seem to a Mizzou fan to be getting short shrift in the local media, but its really just getting the piece of the pie that it always gets
I was focused more on this comment from you: "Bottom line is Mizzou effectively left this market" which is blatantly wrong.
But if that wasn't your point I guess I don't disagree with you pointing out that professional sports gain a wider (albeit not always as fervent) fanbase in the KC region.
AllThingsKC
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by AllThingsKC »

Mizzou is up against an undefeated NFL team (at the time of this post) AND a World Series. Tough to compete for local TV with stuff like that.
knucklehead
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by knucklehead »

It is safe to say that the KC media mythology that Missouri fans regretting moving to the SEC died yesterday about 2 pm.

It never made much sense and at this point it is transparently stupid.

PS - isn't it clear that KU football left the KC media market about three years ago?
aknowledgeableperson
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by aknowledgeableperson »

Even now, I cannot point to one single thing I think the Big 12 is doing right to improve.
But look at its TV contract and only split between 10 schools.
bobbyhawks
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by bobbyhawks »

knucklehead wrote:It is safe to say that the KC media mythology that Missouri fans regretting moving to the SEC died yesterday about 2 pm.

PS - isn't it clear that KU football left the KC media market about three years ago?
I hear from Mizzou fans all of the time that wish they never left for the SEC. I don't know what you are talking about, other than the fact MU is having a great season and should be incredibly proud. KU being bad at football has literally nothing to do with MU fans liking the SEC or in proving that MU was somehow destined for that conference. KU would have been bad and not well publicized in a fully intact Big 12, just as they are in the new Big 12.
KCtonic
New York Life
New York Life

Post by KCtonic »

bobbyhawks wrote:
knucklehead wrote:It is safe to say that the KC media mythology that Missouri fans regretting moving to the SEC died yesterday about 2 pm.

I hear from Mizzou fans all of the time that wish they never left for the SEC. I don't know what you are talking about, other than the fact MU is having a great season and should be incredibly proud. KU being bad at football has literally nothing to do with MU fans liking the SEC or in proving that MU was somehow destined for that conference. KU would have been bad and not well publicized in a fully intact Big 12, just as they are in the new Big 12.
I hear from Mizzou fans all of the time that they are ecstatic they are in the SEC. Yes there are some of the folks (certainly not in the majority) who miss the "good ole' days" but that sentiment won't continue for football fans as long as Mizzou is able to be competitive in the SEC and continue to build. As I said before, I miss the games against Nebraska, then Oklahoma and after that... not at all. When it comes to basketball I miss the games against kansas and otherwise not at all. I don't think I'm alone in that sentiment either.

fwiw the number of Mizzou fans travelling to games away from Columbia has increased quite a bit since joining the SEC. That has a lot to do with excitement of the SEC matchups as well as generally more attractive locales as well.
Last edited by KCtonic on Mon Oct 21, 2013 2:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
knucklehead
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by knucklehead »

The idea that any significant percentage of MU fans regret going to the SEC is silly.

At most maybe 15 percent of MU fans may regret the move and that is probably a significant over estimate.

I wonder if (1) people are telling bobbyhawks what he wants to hear; and (2) he is hearing what he wants to hear.

I mean his name is bobbyhawks. That has to tip people off right there.

Maybe it is partially semantics. If "regret moving to the SEC" means people who opposed the move, then at most 15 percent opposed the move, and probably less.

If it means, people that support the move but still regret not playing Oklahoma in football and Kansas in basketball - then that is higher.

PS- regreting not playing Nebraska anymore has nothing to do with the decision to move to the SEC. Nebraska was long gone before MU made that move. MU had no natural riverly with Baylor, Texas Tech, and Texas. And no one regrets no longer playing Iowa State. Face it. Big 12 was not the Big 8.
bobbyhawks
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by bobbyhawks »

knucklehead wrote:The idea that any significant percentage of MU fans regret going to the Big 12 is silly.

At most maybe 15 percent of MU fans may regret the move and that is probably a significant over estimate.

I wonder if (1) people are telling bobbyhawks what he wants to hear; and (2) he is hearing what he wants to hear.

I mean his name is bobbyhawks. That has to tip people off right there.

Maybe it is partially semantics. If "regret moving to the SEC" means people who opposed the move, then at most 15 percent opposed the move, and probably less.

If it means, people that support the move but still regret not playing Oklahoma in football and Kansas in basketball - then that is higher.

PS- regreting not playing Nebraska anymore has nothing to do with the decision to move to the SEC. Nebraska was long gone before MU made that move. MU had no natural riverly with Baylor, Texas Tech, and Texas. And no one regrets no longer playing Iowa State. Face it. Big 12 was not the Big 8.
I can make up percentages, too... 100% of the time. I think the difference is between "missing" and "regretting." Regret indicates that you did something in the past you wish you could do differently. Clearly, any fan of any team leaving any conference is going to "miss" some rivalries. Regret for leaving (or wishing one had never left) is different. I have heard what I have heard, and I have heard people tell me that they "regret" leaving (exclusively from those never on board to begin with). I have also spoken with people excited about the SEC.

My experiences are entirely anecdotal, but I am trying to convey that absolutist statements based on anecdotal evidence can cut both ways. I am a KU fan with a lot of MU friends and family. Almost all of them miss certain rivalries from the Big 12. There is no argument there. Many of them regret leaving and would not have chosen to join the SEC if in charge. These anecdotal experiences may be slanted by the fact that people who volunteer their opinion to me, a KU fan, are naturally biased. Either my friends and family are mythical beings, or claims of complete support for the move to the SEC are also biased. A top ranking is a powerful elixer, though. Time and success will obviously change minds, and I think we can see it happening as the great season from MU progresses. "Knucklehead's" statement about something changing Saturday at 2PM, to me, was as much an admission that people have not always been excited about the SEC as anything else. Why else would it take a win to prove that the move was a good one? I agree that winning is converting more people to enjoy the SEC move, but I think it is disingenuous to claim that the same level of support has always been there.