Beacon Hill

Discuss items in the urban core outside of Downtown as described above. Everything in the core including the east side (18th & Vine area), Northeast, Plaza, Westport, Brookside, Valentine, Waldo, 39th street, & the entire midtown area.
chingon
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Re: Beacon Hill

Post by chingon »

flyingember wrote:
you're missing several really, really big things on that segment

Rockhurst, Stower's, UMKC
My gut feeling is the universities could be brought on board fairly easily. One need only point out how many universities already have campuses that are closed to through traffic.

Stower's I did in fact forget about, but Troost isn't exactly their "front door".
chingon
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by chingon »

aknowledgeableperson wrote:
I really, really, really wish someone in this city was visionary enough to make Troost a bike/ped/transit-only street from 24th to 63rd
A few decades ago they remade the main street in downtown KCK like that, except for the transit part, parking only in back, and so on. Believe that experiment failed.
So Minnesota Ave was pedestrian and bike only? When/where exactly? I'm not sure its perfectly analogous, but I'd be interested to see what that looked like.
loftguy
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by loftguy »

chingon wrote:
aknowledgeableperson wrote:
I really, really, really wish someone in this city was visionary enough to make Troost a bike/ped/transit-only street from 24th to 63rd
A few decades ago they remade the main street in downtown KCK like that, except for the transit part, parking only in back, and so on. Believe that experiment failed.
So Minnesota Ave was pedestrian and bike only? When/where exactly? I'm not sure its perfectly analogous, but I'd be interested to see what that looked like.

It was open to cars, kind of. There were two meandering thru lanes for autos with multiple "plazas" for pedestrians.

Turned out to be unfriendly for either cars or people. Created multiple disconnects and difficulty for either to figure out how to negotiate access and wayfinding. Final nail in the coffin of "old downtown KCK".

Had some great sculpture and fountains by Dale Eldred (of blessed memory) though.
pash
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by pash »

Last edited by pash on Thu Feb 09, 2017 6:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
chingon
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by chingon »

loftguy wrote:

It was open to cars, kind of. There were two meandering thru lanes for autos with multiple "plazas" for pedestrians.

Turned out to be unfriendly for either cars or people. Created multiple disconnects and difficulty for either to figure out how to negotiate access and wayfinding. Final nail in the coffin of "old downtown KCK".

Had some great sculpture and fountains by Dale Eldred (of blessed memory) though.
O, that's basically nothing like what I was talking about. Shockingly AKP offered up an apples/oranges comparison and suggested it was somehow evidentiary of whether or not pedestrian/transit only corridors work.
chaglang
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by chaglang »

chingon wrote:
loftguy wrote:

O, that's basically nothing like what I was talking about. Shockingly AKP offered up an apples/oranges comparison and suggested it was somehow evidentiary of whether or not pedestrian/transit only corridors work.
Well, that's kind of what spring to my mind when you mentioned it. Might also explain why I recoiled in horror at the suggestion. Is there an example of what you had in mind?

FWIW, I do not think that turning Troost into a ped/walk/transit only street would do much to heal the divide. It actually seems like a gimmick that only gets used when nothing else has worked. It could easily get turned around as "If this is such a good idea, why isn't anyone clamoring for,say, 63rd in Brookside to be closed?"

I also question whether doing this while there is little business activity on the street would help bring new business there. As I far as I can tell, cars are not the problem on Troost. It's 5 lanes wide. You could get it down to 2 lanes, have plenty of parking, and drastically improve the pedestrian experience. I guess that's what I'm saying - there is so much that could be improved on that could spur growth that I don't see a need for something as drastic as closing 40 blocks to autos.
pash wrote:Sounds like a nice project, if chaglang's info is right. Too bad it's not going farther south. A few more blocks, to Linwood or a beyond, might help encourage more activity east of Martini Corner.
I was disappointed by that too. But they do want to take it further south sometime in the future. The takeaway for me is that the city is looking at this sewer rebuild as an opportunity to remake some streetscapes. That's good.
aknowledgeableperson
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by aknowledgeableperson »

Comparison:

In KCK it was on a main street through the downtown area. Troost it would be on a main N/S corridor in the city. Was it purely apples to apples - no. But similar.
The businesses did not like what was in KCK and I would imagine the businesses along Troost would feel the same way.

Can the corridors work? No doubt. But for that long on a major street my guess it would suffer the same fate as the experiment in KCK.
chaglang
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by chaglang »

aknowledgeableperson wrote:Comparison:

In KCK it was on a main street through the downtown area. Troost it would be on a main N/S corridor in the city. Was it purely apples to apples - no. But similar.
The businesses did not like what was in KCK and I would imagine the businesses along Troost would feel the same way.

Can the corridors work? No doubt. But for that long on a major street my guess it would suffer the same fate as the experiment in KCK.
If they wanted to do a few blocks, that 3100 block would be great. But I do think it creates access problems for businesses. For example, there's a midblock Sav-a-Lot in the 3300 block. I have no idea where people would park for that, or what alternate path to the lot might be possible.
taxi
Penntower
Penntower

Post by taxi »

They could build a Park-a-lot!
shinatoo
Ambassador

Post by shinatoo »

50 years ago someone did something similar to what you are talking about in a different setting all together. Of course 50 years before that, horses. But nothing changes in the way we do things.
chingon
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by chingon »

chaglang wrote: Is there an example of what you had in mind?
The Trolley Track Trail. Only with transit on it.

I also question whether doing this while there is little business activity on the street would help bring new business there.
Which to me means there's very little to lose (except, I guess, access to the Sav-a-lot). And what is gained, no matter what, is a dedicated-lane transit corridor on the east side that abuts some of the densest residential neighborhoods in the city which already have the highest transit ridership. I mean, what is bringing new businesses to Troost? Tulips?
It actually seems like a gimmick that only gets used when nothing else has worked.
Well...nothing else has worked. I don't think of dedicated-ROW transit as gimmicky, I think of it as the gold standard.
As I far as I can tell, cars are not the problem on Troost. It's 5 lanes wide. You could get it down to 2 lanes, have plenty of parking, and drastically improve the pedestrian experience. I guess that's what I'm saying - there is so much that could be improved on that could spur growth that I don't see a need for something as drastic as closing 40 blocks to autos.
I would question whether that idea would actually spur any growth. To me that seems a lot more like what they did on Minnesota in downtown KCK: took a failing commercial street, put it on a road diet and waited for magic. In the case of Troost, its not failing, it is utterly failed. A long, central, well connected, green belt and dedicated transit corridor with pockets of good architectural relics seems like a good idea (and a cheap one) to me, but its certainly not going to ever happen, and its probably not worth derailing a thread over...
aknowledgeableperson
City Center Square
City Center Square

Just curious. What is the auto traffic count along Troost? Then where would that traffic be diverted to? None or very little of the properties, commercial or residential, along Troost do have alley access. So how do you propose a homeowner to have access to a driveway and garage?
Last edited by aknowledgeableperson on Fri Sep 20, 2013 1:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by flyingember »

chingon wrote:
flyingember wrote:
you're missing several really, really big things on that segment

Rockhurst, Stower's, UMKC
My gut feeling is the universities could be brought on board fairly easily. One need only point out how many universities already have campuses that are closed to through traffic.

Stower's I did in fact forget about, but Troost isn't exactly their "front door".
doubtful. Rockhurst isn't going to send everyone in the back way to have a pedestrian friendly road that replaces their major access point.

show me a university that blocks off one of only three major streets to their campus. through, sure, but To?
chaglang
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by chaglang »

chingon wrote:The Trolley Track Trail. Only with transit on it.
Do you have an example of what you're thinking about, that's already been built and has shown that it can at least sustain existing businesses? I'm skeptical that a jogging trail with busses would be helpful.
chingon wrote: Which to me means there's very little to lose (except, I guess, access to the Sav-a-lot). And what is gained, no matter what, is a dedicated-lane transit corridor on the east side that abuts some of the densest residential neighborhoods in the city which already have the highest transit ridership. I mean, what is bringing new businesses to Troost? Tulips?
Yeah, that's where you lose me. There might be very little there, but those businesses are obviously serving a market that few others will. Treating Troost as a tabla rasa for a transit experiment is similar to the mentality that pushed highways through the poor sections of town. If this is such a great idea, let Brookside or Waldo or the Plaza do it first.
chingon wrote: Well...nothing else has worked. I don't think of dedicated-ROW transit as gimmicky, I think of it as the gold standard.
Nothing else working is not a reason for doing what you're proposing. It's a reason (justified, certainly) for doing something different than what's been tried before... which is basically nothing. Troost has failed, but it failed by design. To my knowledge, there's never been a plan for it to succeed. If there were a pile of failed plans for the street, I'd be more receptive to your idea. But jumping right to banning cars seems drastic.
chingon wrote: ...and its probably not worth derailing a thread over...
We could always take this over to the Troost Developments thread...
chingon
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by chingon »

flyingember wrote: Rockhurst isn't going to send everyone in the back way to have a pedestrian friendly road that replaces their major access point.

show me a university that blocks off one of only three major streets to their campus. through, sure, but To?
Again, we are talking about wild hypothetical pipe-dreams here, not reality, but to your point: there is only one direct vehicle access point from Troost into the Rockhurst campus. and it leads into a massive (3/4 of a city block) surface lot, which also abuts 54th and Tracy.

The original major access street to the Rockhurst campus/quad was 53rd street, which is now - wait for it - pedestrian only.
chingon
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by chingon »

chaglang wrote: Do you have an example of what you're thinking about, that's already been built and has shown that it can at least sustain existing businesses? I'm skeptical that a jogging trail with busses would be helpful.
El Eje Ambiental in Bogota.
Treating Troost as a tabla rasa for a transit experiment is similar to the mentality that pushed highways through the poor sections of town.
Whoa. Your aspersions of classism are off base and not really constructive. One could just as easily argue that "treating Troost as it treated under the status quo is similar to the mindest that made it like it is today". Are you a classist because you don't think Troost should get any investment except maybe a road diet that is empirically proven to fail by what happened in KCK in the 80s?

Ignoring the eastside is one of the primary critiques of every redevelopment plan/transit experiment/napkin drawing proposed in this city for the last 50 years. You can't have your cake and eat it too. If someone proposed a transit experiment (like a streetcar) and said, "this is such a good idea, let's do it in from Downtown to the Plaza, then if it works great, we can see if the Eastside ever deserves it" there'd be howling about how "the Westside gets everything/what do we get", and I can see the Eastside's point. I cannot, however, see yours. Except that you don't think its a good idea to make it a ped/transit mall. That's fine. You may well be right, we'll certainly never find out. You are definitely wrong that I have some kind of classist motive for thinking it'd be a good fit for Troost. I think it would be more expedient than dealing with narrow-minded nimby's in Brookside, sure, and a great deal easier dealing with a limited and transient business community than an entrenched and monied one. But that's not why I think Troost is a better fit for an experiment. I think its a better fit for the same reason terminal cancer patients are a better fit for experimental treatments than people with colds: they need it. And I may be wrong that such and experiment would work at all. I am definitely right, though, that Troost will continue to flounder and crumble under its current model, and we'll definitely both get to see that continue to play out.
chaglang
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by chaglang »

chingon wrote: El Eje Ambiental in Bogota.
Cool. I will check it out.
chingon wrote:Whoa. Your aspersions of classism are off base and not really constructive. One could just as easily argue that "treating Troost as it treated under the status quo is similar to the mindest that made it like it is today". Are you a classist because you don't think Troost should get any investment except maybe a road diet that is empirically proven to fail by what happened in KCK in the 80s?
Not really off base at all. You're proposing doing something fairly radical. I'm saying that there are probably other things that could be tried before we nuke the street.

Also:
I didn't say that I don't think that a road diet is the only type of investment that should happen on Troost. Saying that I'm opposed to turning it into a walk/bike/transit only street is not the same as being opposed to any investment. And... road diets are empirically proven to fail? By what standards?
chingon wrote:Ignoring the eastside is one of the primary critiques of every redevelopment plan/transit experiment/napkin drawing proposed in this city for the last 50 years. You can't have your cake and eat it too. If someone proposed a transit experiment (like a streetcar) and said, "this is such a good idea, let's do it in from Downtown to the Plaza, then if it works great, we can see if the Eastside ever deserves it" there'd be howling about how "the Westside gets everything/what do we get", and I can see the Eastside's point. I cannot, however, see yours. Except that you don't think its a good idea to make it a ped/transit mall. That's fine. You may well be right, we'll certainly never find out. You are definitely wrong that I have some kind of classist motive for thinking it'd be a good fit for Troost. I think it would be more expedient than dealing with narrow-minded nimby's in Brookside, sure, and a great deal easier dealing with a limited and transient business community than an entrenched and monied one. But that's not why I think Troost is a better fit for an experiment. I think its a better fit for the same reason terminal cancer patients are a better fit for experimental treatments than people with colds: they need it. And I may be wrong that such and experiment would work at all. I am definitely right, though, that Troost will continue to flounder and crumble under its current model, and we'll definitely both get to see that continue to play out.
Well, we both agree that the current model is not working. And that without intervention it will continue to flounder. But I think that if it happens, it will happen for a dozen reasons that have nothing to do with transit. I'm not even convinced that transit is among the most pressing issues that street faces.
aknowledgeableperson
City Center Square
City Center Square

If you want to fix Troost north of 63rd St then fix the neighborhoods adjoining it.
knucklehead
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by knucklehead »

KC Star article about Beacon Hill.

Maybe extended stay hotel on the way and more.....

http://www.kansascity.com/2013/09/20/44 ... eacon.html
chaglang
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by chaglang »

Ollie Gates development: The barbecue magnate has his eye on the part of Beacon Hill that’s across Bruce Watkins Drive and northeast of the new housing. He proposes building 16 single-family homes, again in the $300,000 to $400,000 range. “We think the location is premier,” attorney Mark Bryant said, adding that they hope to have a development agreement within 30 days.
This is interesting. I am really curious as to how he'll make that work at that price.