EPA moving to Lenexa from downtown KCK

Find out what's going on in the Sunflower State's portions of the Metro here.
KCMax
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: EPA moving to Lenexa from downtown KCK

Post by KCMax »

KC0KEK wrote: I haven't read all of the stories about this project. Did the EPA say where most of its employees currently live? Companies often look at their employees' home addresses when deciding where to relocate.
It sounds like the overriding factor in this decision was there was an empty LEED-certified building available.
SAVE THE PLAZA - FROM ZOMBIES! Find out how at:

http://twitter.com/TheKCRag
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

Where current employees live when planning out a longterm hq is shortsighted at best.
http://downtownkcmo.blogspot.com

Tweeting live from Big 12 tournament @downtownkc
KC0KEK
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by KC0KEK »

KCPowercat wrote: Where current employees live when planning out a longterm hq is shortsighted at best.
Not if you're a company worried about losing talented people, whose presence or absence determines whether you'll have a long term.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

So are you saying the epa moved to lenexa because a skilled lab tech lived close by?

They completely igorne the ability to attract future employees (especially given our aging workforce) from all areas of the metro more equally which a dt kck location gives them....not to mention mass transit options which there are zero to their new hq location....

redperro
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by redperro »

what prompted the move?
KCMax
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by KCMax »

redperro wrote: what prompted the move?
Sounds like they were in a substandard office that was falling apart and the landlord wasn't willing to improve it. I don't blame them for moving. I blame them for moving to Lenexa.

KC0KEK
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by KC0KEK »

KCPowercat wrote: So are you saying the epa moved to lenexa because a skilled lab tech lived close by?
No. I asked whether the EPA said that where existing employees (plural) live was a decisive factor. I asked that because companies often look at that when deciding where to relocate.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

...and I commented that I believe that's a very shortsighted decision making tool for any company larger than a small office...I guess I didn't understand your reply to my comment.

Fully understand a president of a company making a decision like that to be close to his house....although I still think that's shortsighted....but I don't see that as a factor for a government agency.

mean
Administrator
Administrator

Post by mean »

As should probably be obvious, around half the region's employees live in MO burbs. Many in East Jax and the northland. For one person I know, the expense of his commute (if gas stays the current price) is going to increase from around $200 a year in gasoline to over $1600. That's what I call smart environmentalism.
"It is not to my good friend's heresy that I impute his honesty. On the contrary, 'tis his honesty that has brought upon him the character of heretic." -- Ben Franklin
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Post by GRID »

mean wrote: As should probably be obvious, around half the region's employees live in MO burbs. Many in East Jax and the northland. For one person I know, the expense of his commute (if gas stays the current price) is going to increase from around $200 a year in gasoline to over $1600. That's what I call smart environmentalism.
Right, but the people that make these decisions tend to be from JoCo more often than not for some reason.  The the people from Blue Springs or Liberty or Hyde Park get a longer commute, but the people from Lenexa or Overland Park get a shorter one. 

For some reason, the suburban world in KC revolves around JoCo.  If a company moves from Downtown to OP, they are automatically assumed to be much closer to their employees because everybody that doesn't work at the Ford plant lives out in JoCo.

Just like the assumptions that companies move to JoCo for the schools as if there were not perfectly good schools ten minutes away north of the river.

Very weird but true.
mean
Administrator
Administrator

Post by mean »

GRID wrote: Right, but the people that make these decisions tend to be from JoCo more often than not for some reason.  The the people from Blue Springs or Liberty or Hyde Park get a longer commute, but the people from Lenexa or Overland Park get a shorter one.
That may be the case, but the dude who made this decision is not from anywhere near JoCo, and neither are about half the employees.

Another rumor I heard from a reliable source (which you guys are going to LOVE) is that the GSA was concerned that there are almost 700 people working the building but fewer than 400 parking spaces at the KCK office building. Gotta have LEED! But also gotta have enough parking for everyone to drive alone in their Expedition out to the middle of nowhere...
"It is not to my good friend's heresy that I impute his honesty. On the contrary, 'tis his honesty that has brought upon him the character of heretic." -- Ben Franklin
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Post by GRID »

mean wrote: That may be the case, but the dude who made this decision is not from anywhere near JoCo, and neither are about half the employees.

Another rumor I heard from a reliable source (which you guys are going to LOVE) is that the GSA was concerned that there are almost 700 people working the building but fewer than 400 parking spaces at the KCK office building. Gotta have LEED! But also gotta have enough parking for everyone to drive alone in their Expedition out to the middle of nowhere...

Not that KCK has any real transit options, especially to the suburbs.  The bottom line is the EPA should be in downtown KCMO with all the other government buildings where they can take advantage of transit just like all the other KCMO federal buildings do.

The EPA out in a bean field is just another casualty of KC's state line issues.
mean
Administrator
Administrator

Post by mean »

I completely agree. Especially the EPA should be in a place where it can take advantage of transit options.
aknowledgeableperson
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by aknowledgeableperson »

mean wrote: For one person I know, the expense of his commute (if gas stays the current price) is going to increase from around $200 a year in gasoline to over $1600.
And there are probably two people who costs go the other way.
I may be right.  I may be wrong.  But there is a lot of gray area in-between.
KCMax
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by KCMax »

aknowledgeableperson wrote: And there are probably two people who costs go the other way.
Maybe. Or maybe not. We just don't know.

Highlander
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by Highlander »

aknowledgeableperson wrote: And there are probably two people who costs go the other way.
Doubtful.  Johnson County is sizeable but it's only a portion of the metro and like so many government jobs, even the professionals are probably woefully underpaid so not many employees probably living in south Johnson County.  In any event, KCMO is the center of the metro, put your office there and everybody has a fair shot at it and, god knows, perhaps we'd be able to develop some meaningful public transportation.  
aknowledgeableperson
City Center Square
City Center Square

Highlander wrote: Doubtful.  Johnson County is sizeable but it's only a portion of the metro and like so many government jobs, even the professionals are probably woefully underpaid so not many employees probably living in south Johnson County.  
In an era of dual incomes it is quite possible for them to live in south JoCo.  And have known a few people who had spouses working there and they are paid quite well.  And when you move over to the Olathe area housing prices are not as high as in the areas of OP and Leawood.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

Demographics show 1 in 4 statistically live in JoCo, where does the false assumption that everybody working in this metro lives in SoJoCo when it's factually inaccurate?.....even if it's higher % in this particular case, planning your long term HQ based on current workforce is shortsighted and will hurt ability to recruit new employees from the full compliment of the KC metro workforce...especially when more and more will be looking for alternative transportation options given gas prices.

aknowledgeableperson
City Center Square
City Center Square

KCMax wrote: Maybe. Or maybe not. We just don't know.
You must be a member of the Know-Nothing party, along with KCP.
KCMax
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by KCMax »

aknowledgeableperson wrote: You must be a member of the Know-Nothing party, along with KCP.
BURN!!!!