Suspicious death in Westport

Discuss items in the urban core outside of Downtown as described above. Everything in the core including the east side (18th & Vine area), Northeast, Plaza, Westport, Brookside, Valentine, Waldo, 39th street, & the entire midtown area.
KC-wildcat
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Re: Tragic beating in Westport

Post by KC-wildcat »

TheBigChuckbowski wrote: I would hope you can do better than that. That's the same incident. All it was was a couple fights with no injuries over a year ago.
Well, I'm at work.  Trying not to compose a doctoral thesis on the matter.  When I get home in the next hour or so, I'll oblige your request. 

Fights in and around America's Pub are commonplace.  Perhaps mean is correct that the massive police presence is merely racial profiling.  But, I'm confident that part of the reason for the military operation out front of America's Pub is because of repeated incidents of fights and violence. 
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

America's Pub leaves today, the issue still exists.
http://downtownkcmo.blogspot.com

Tweeting live from Big 12 tournament @downtownkc
Highlander
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by Highlander »

mean wrote: Tragic and all around messed up deal either way, but based on the number of folks that had to have been out and about, I'm sure we'll know what really happened eventually.
You'd think if it was a beating at or around the entrance of a popular bar, there would be reliable witnesses.  Not everyone at Wesport at 2 AM is a member of a gang unwilling to talk to the cops.  

Secondly, it's kind of unfortunate that this is not news until the victim dies.  If it was an attack on an individual, you have to wonder how often it happens since it only gets reported once their is a death involved.  I am not trying to do the chicken little thing but getting badly injured in an attack is no picnic either.  
kcmetro
One Park Place
One Park Place

Post by kcmetro »

KCPowercat wrote: America's Pub leaves today, the issue still exists.
But will it exist in Westport?  I haven't been to Westport in a few years, but I don't remember there being too many clubs/bars that cater to AP type of crowd.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

Most of the problems happen with loitering, not as much bar patrons themselves from what I've seen.

Benefit of downtown I guess (P&L specifically), nobody knows where to park to come loiter :)

TfromKC
Pad site
Pad site

Post by TfromKC »

Highlander wrote: You'd think if it was a beating at or around the entrance of a popular bar, there would be reliable witnesses.  Not everyone at Wesport at 2 AM is a member of a gang unwilling to talk to the cops.  

Secondly, it's kind of unfortunate that this is not news until the victim dies.  If it was an attack on an individual, you have to wonder how often it happens since it only gets reported once their is a death involved.  I am not trying to do the chicken little thing but getting badly injured in an attack is no picnic either.  
All I can tell you is the police DO know it was a beating. The Euston family knows it was a beating. Westport business owners are going to do everything they can to prevent that from getting out.

Eventually the facts are going to come out when the investigation is complete, and when they do, people will see how terrible this thing is. We'll just have to wait and see.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

Please don't now say westport businesses are trying to cover up a murder simply to help their bottom line.  Dude. 

KC-wildcat
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by KC-wildcat »

Here's a shooting outside of America's Pub - 5/4/09

http://blogs.pitch.com/plog/2009/05/thi ... egedly.php
KC-wildcat
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by KC-wildcat »

mean
Administrator
Administrator

Post by mean »

So much for the theory that Westport business owners can cover up violent crime.
"It is not to my good friend's heresy that I impute his honesty. On the contrary, 'tis his honesty that has brought upon him the character of heretic." -- Ben Franklin
KC-wildcat
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by KC-wildcat »

An oldy but a goody.  Court of Appeals Case.  Sorry, no article. 

http://caselaw.findlaw.com/mo-court-of- ... 30489.html
KC-wildcat
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by KC-wildcat »

http://kcdrinker.com/?cat=4&paged=3

Color me baffled...

"I think I was stabbed here once. It?s all rather blurry. Looks just like a giant racquetball court with disco balls and strobe lights. And people who want to stab you."
KC-wildcat
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by KC-wildcat »

Shooting Death at AP - 3/25/08

http://www.kctv5.com/news/15990413/detail.html
shinatoo
Ambassador

Post by shinatoo »

Highlander wrote: You'd think if it was a beating at or around the entrance of a popular bar, there would be reliable witnesses.  Not everyone at Wesport at 2 AM is a member of a gang unwilling to talk to the cops.  

This story was out the morning after. Well before he passed away.
TheBigChuckbowski
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by TheBigChuckbowski »

KC-wildcat wrote: Here's a shooting outside of America's Pub - 5/4/09

http://blogs.pitch.com/plog/2009/05/thi ... egedly.php

Best mugshot EVER.
You know, Dude, I myself dabbled in pacifism once. Not in 'Nam of course.
shinatoo
Ambassador

Post by shinatoo »

Got to love the professionalism of the Pitch "This one guy got out a rifle and like totally shot this other guy in the leg, man."
NDTeve
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by NDTeve »

Aside from those numerous and documented instances...what has ever happened at America's Pub? Mentioning it makes you a dumb suburban white guy afraid of and convinced that all blacks are in a gang.
"Don't go around saying the world owes you a living. The world owes you nothing. It was here first."
- Mark Twain
KC-wildcat
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by KC-wildcat »

NDTeve wrote: Aside from those numerous and documented instances...what has ever happened at America's Pub? Mentioning it makes you a dumb suburban white guy afraid of and convinced that all blacks are in a gang.

Qudos downtown is pretty much a black bar.  I pass it on a daily/nightly basis.  But I've never heard of a disturbance down there.  And they seem to be doing killer business.  I've been in there a few times.  Cool set up, good location, good management.  Good weeknight crowd.  Great weekend crowds. 

Just goes to show you that race is not the key factor.  Dumb people are going to act like dumb people whether they're white, black, yellow, or any other color. 
kcmetro
One Park Place
One Park Place

Post by kcmetro »

If Westport had a dress code like the P&L, they probably wouldn't have as many of these issues.  Thugs dress like thugs, whether they're white or black.  You don't see too many dudes with tucked in shirts or pants at their waste (not hanging on their ass) who are starting fights or carrying guns.
KC-wildcat
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by KC-wildcat »

kcmetro wrote: If Westport had a dress code like the P&L, they probably wouldn't have as many of these issues.  Thugs dress like thugs, whether they're white or black.  You don't see too many dudes with tucked in shirts or pants at their waste (not hanging on their ass) who are starting fights or carrying guns.
Maybe.  But instead of restricting the types of clothes people can wear, Westport should restrict the types of bars/clubs that attract these people(i.e. America's Pub).  I believe it would have the same effect and be much less intrusive. 

I just don't see the same type of gun-toting trouble makers hanging out at Harry's or the Foundry.