Rieger Hotel Grill & Exchange

People say they enjoy Kansas City. Find out why.
KC Sporting Life
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Re: Rieger Hotel Grill & Exchange

Post by KC Sporting Life »

mean wrote: How was the whiskey?

As far as uploading images, I'd suggest using flickr or something similar.

There was quite a bit of ullage in the bottle, and some of the alcohol had evaporated.  The Rye flavor was still there and pretty pronounced. 

I'll work on putting them on flickr so that I can post the photos here.
KC Sporting Life
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

In addition to the outside wall signage, we're looking for a local artist to do a painted mural on an interior, cinder block wall.  Anyone have any suggestions?  Elextendo?
chrizow
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by chrizow »

KC Sporting Life wrote: In addition to the outside wall signage, we're looking for a local artist to do a painted mural on an interior, cinder block wall.  Anyone have any suggestions?  Elextendo?
what about the gentleman who did the P+L mural and the MLK mural at 31/troost? 
KC Sporting Life
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

chrizow wrote: what about the gentleman who did the P+L mural and the MLK mural at 31/troost? 
Do you know his name?
chrizow
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by chrizow »

KC Sporting Life wrote: Do you know his name?
http://www.pitch.com/2008-06-26/news/al ... st-canvas/
KC Sporting Life
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Wow, great article, and great story.  I'll see if I can track him down.  Thanks!
moosnsqrl
New York Life
New York Life

Post by moosnsqrl »

Bumping this - hoping Ryan or Howard will give us an update. I keeping meaning to stop by and check progress but I never seem to catch them.  Either they're not really working on getting the space open or they see me coming and run away.
justhoward
Parking Garage
Parking Garage

Post by justhoward »

I keeping meaning to stop by and check progress but I never seem to catch them.  Either they're not really working on getting the space open or they see me coming and run away.
Its definitely one of the two!

But for the quick update - the remodel should be completely done by Friday, we're making progress on the liquor license, we've got some key staff members in place, and the opening menu will be done before I sleep tonight!
moosnsqrl
New York Life
New York Life

Post by moosnsqrl »

justhoward wrote: Its definitely one of the two!

But for the quick update - the remodel should be completely done by Friday, we're making progress on the liquor license, we've got some key staff members in place, and the opening menu will be done before I sleep tonight!
:x
Guess I'm going to have to go incognito to update our friends here on kcrag. 
KC Sporting Life
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

We've hired a local artist to paint a mural on one wall in the private dining room.  It will be a J.Rieger & Co. Whiskey theme, and the sketch he did looks fantastic.  He should get started on that Friday.  We're still working on the outside wall signage. 
moosnsqrl
New York Life
New York Life

Post by moosnsqrl »

The mural was starting to take shape nicely last week when I swung by and the new paint job looks great. I tried to take some pix to share but had only my phone and the light wasn't great, so I didn't.

But enough about all of that - this is supposed to be a restaurant and I want some food. Howard, you said the menu was to be finalized before you went to bed - approximately 3 weeks ago! Either you're exhausted or you're playing your cards close to the vest. C'mon. We won't tell anyone. We promise.
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

i know they're not ready to open tonight, but opening the doors for walkthroughs (no food, etc.) would be a great way to build buzz.
staubio
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by staubio »

DaveKCMO wrote: i know they're not ready to open tonight, but opening the doors for walkthroughs (no food, etc.) would be a great way to build buzz.
Indeed. Invite the food bloggers, the photogs and the video bloggers. This is PR 101.
moosnsqrl
New York Life
New York Life

Post by moosnsqrl »

staubio wrote: Indeed. Invite the food bloggers, the photogs and the video bloggers. This is PR 101.
I'm not sure the space is big enough for the blogosphere, staubio :lol:
KC Sporting Life
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

I really, really, REALLY want to accommodate your pleas for a sneak peak.  I'm so excited about how good everything looks, it's really come together and we can hardly wait to show it off.  But, I'm torn.  It's First Friday, which means that if we let a few people in, it could turn into quite a crowd, and we're still working on computer system installation, putting the finishing touches on the mural and dust removal.  Also, we don't have a certificate of occupancy yet.  That inspection happens Monday.  BUT, I'll be here most of the night so if you knock on the door and let me know you're a ragster (and promise not to bring a crowd), we may be able to give you a little tour.  :D

While you're in the neighborhood, be sure to locate the bright, spot-lit section of the sidewalk in front of our parking lot, stand in the circle, and do something spontaneous.  8)
mean
Administrator
Administrator

Post by mean »

Ooh, ooh, can I bring a camera?  :D
"It is not to my good friend's heresy that I impute his honesty. On the contrary, 'tis his honesty that has brought upon him the character of heretic." -- Ben Franklin
bobbyhawks
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by bobbyhawks »

Not sure if anyone else took "KC Sporting Life" up on his offer last Friday for First Fridays, but I decided to and was treated to a great tour of the new interior of the Rieger.  Ryan M. created a custom bar for the front area of the restaurant closest to the entrance.  He actually showed me the original napkin drawing, and fully realized, it looks beautiful.  The artwork that will adorn the walls really classes up the place, and the modifications to the cieling and partial barrier to better separate the kitchen from the dining area make for a very cool and enviting atmosphere.  They did not touch the floor upstairs, and Manifesto will look just as it was before.  Sorry for the lack of pictures.  I may be able to post one or two from my friend who brought her camera if I can track them down.

The private dining area has two of the coolest tables you will ever see.  I think the story behind them involved some old giant slabs of wood that were stored below ground on a farm for years (perhaps almost a century or older if I heard correctly).  They have been finished to include some of the imperfections, yet are smooth to the touch.  I believe that if you wander past the window just to the North of the Main entrance, you can see these tables which will eventually have some form of lighting above.  The room includes a giant wine storage unit against the wall on one side, and an as yet unfinished mural of an old Rieger whiskey bottle on another wall.

I just want to say thanks to Howard, Ryan, and all who were there last Friday for showing us the new layout.  The excitement for this place is well founded, and I can't wait to taste some of the things that Howard wants to try (count me in if there is a whole pig roasted).  It sounds like the whole crew is working really hard to put it all together in the next few weeks, and I hope they are able to open by Thanksgiving weekend!
KC Sporting Life
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

J. Rieger & Co. Monogram Whiskey mural.....

http://www.facebook.com/#!/photo.php?fb ... 0814904324
Last edited by KC Sporting Life on Mon Nov 08, 2010 6:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
NY Jayhawk
Parking Garage
Parking Garage

Post by NY Jayhawk »

KC Sporting Life wrote: J. Rieger & Co. Monogram Whiskey mural.....

http://www.facebook.com/#!/photo.php?fb ... 0814904324

Looks great! Any luck with restoring the ad on the outside wall?

How many people will the private dining area be able to accommodate? I'm looking at venues for a private event...
KC Sporting Life
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Unfortunately we've had to put the outer wall restoration on hold for a bit.  I'm looking at options for getting the Crossroads Community Association involved in that.  Regarding the private room, it will accommodate about 40 people comfortably.