trader joe's.

KC topics that don't fit anywhere else.
WSPanic
Supporter

Re: trader joe's.

Post by WSPanic »

Midtownkid wrote: The Maryland stores don't even sell Liquor!
Who cares about MD (Maryland, that is)? They don't have a location within 5 miles that would allow for alcohol sales. Why would TJs throw that revenue away?
If it doesn't have street-level retail, it's an abortion.
KCMax
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by KCMax »

WSPanic wrote: Who cares about MD (Maryland, that is)? They don't have a location within 5 miles that would allow for alcohol sales. Why would TJs throw that revenue away?
DC? Virginia?
SAVE THE PLAZA - FROM ZOMBIES! Find out how at:

http://twitter.com/TheKCRag
ignatius
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by ignatius »

Was the first DC area TJ store in MD?
trailerkid
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by trailerkid »

GRID wrote: Don’t you guys think putting one of these anywhere in the RCP would pose a serious threat to the Costentinos Downtown Grocery?
No.

TJ's and Cosentino's together downtown within a couple blocks of each other could probably help each other. I see Trader Joe's as more a niche place.
chrizow wrote: the problem is that TJ's is not exactly known for being urban pioneers.  a 39/Main store would be by far their most down-scale location in the US.  with the exception of a few heavily upscale/insulated urban neighborhoods in very dense cities (chicago, boston, etc), TJ's locates in upscale suburbs.  i could see a Plaza/Brookside location or maybe fairway/prairie village, but beyond that there is no way they are getting near the core of KC. 
Westport Rd/Main/Osco needs a developer. The location is perfect for Trader Joe's, but it would greatly help if a retail developer bought/controlled the leases on the Osco building and some of the surrounding properties. That area could really be built up as its own zone if someone had the vision to do something there. The point is that TJ's is not going to pioneer the rebirth of some random neighborhood in Kansas City without a local company presenting a greater vision.

TJ's will/does locate in highly urban and even trendy areas. Their first (and only) store in Madison is at the base of a condo development in the central city. I believe TJ's thinks KC/StL or wherever else aren't dense enough for urban stores. I believe they're right, for the most part, in realizing that what will work in Madison or Portland won't work everywhere. However, ignoring urban real estate properties with demographics that fit the TJ's base perfectly (South Plaza, Downtown, Brookside, Hyde Park) is really insulting to Kansas City on their part. Their customers are usually well-educated and somewhat affluent so hearing that the first impression they want is 135th and State Line is pretty discouraging for anyone that knows jack shit about Kansas City. Do the right thing, Trader Joe's.

Like Grid said...people should just shop local at Nature's Pantry, the Merc in Lawrence, Bad Seed, Cosentino's, City Market.
Midtownkid
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by Midtownkid »

WSPanic wrote: Who cares about MD (Maryland, that is)? They don't have a location within 5 miles that would allow for alcohol sales. Why would TJs throw that revenue away?
Like others said, DC, VA.

And obviously I care about MD!!  :lol:  Thought a perspective from someone who regularly goes to TJ would help...
aknowledgeableperson
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by aknowledgeableperson »

ignatius wrote: , so I'd think Watt's Mill would be ideal
Depending on how one defines Watt's Mill, and I will limit it to the area called Watt's Mill there is no space available at this time.  If you go to Red Bridge SC then there is space available.  If TJ's goes for newly constructed spaces then there is some building going on in Hallbrook at State Line and College/Red Bridge.
I may be right.  I may be wrong.  But there is a lot of gray area in-between.
beautyfromashes
One Park Place
One Park Place

Post by beautyfromashes »

If I were Trader Joe's and looking for a place strictly for financial reasons, I would choose Briarcliff.  It has good highway access and you'd get people from the North, JOCO, and the core.  Selfishly, I'd like it as the anchor tenant for a new, New Landing or Valentine Shoppes on Broadway. 
DanCa
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by DanCa »

trailerkid wrote: No.

TJ's and Cosentino's together downtown within a couple blocks of each other could probably help each other. I see Trader Joe's as more a niche place.

Westport Rd/Main/Osco needs a developer. The location is perfect for Trader Joe's, but it would greatly help if a retail developer bought/controlled the leases on the Osco building and some of the surrounding properties. That area could really be built up as its own zone if someone had the vision to do something there. The point is that TJ's is not going to pioneer the rebirth of some random neighborhood in Kansas City without a local company presenting a greater vision.

TJ's will/does locate in highly urban and even trendy areas. Their first (and only) store in Madison is at the base of a condo development in the central city. I believe TJ's thinks KC/StL or wherever else aren't dense enough for urban stores. I believe they're right, for the most part, in realizing that what will work in Madison or Portland won't work everywhere. However, ignoring urban real estate properties with demographics that fit the TJ's base perfectly (South Plaza, Downtown, Brookside, Hyde Park) is really insulting to Kansas City on their part. Their customers are usually well-educated and somewhat affluent so hearing that the first impression they want is 135th and State Line is pretty discouraging for anyone that knows jack shit about Kansas City. Do the right thing, Trader Joe's.

Like Grid said...people should just shop local at Nature's Pantry, the Merc in Lawrence, Bad Seed, Cosentino's, City Market.
All the TJs I've seen/been in in Orange County were in suburban strip malls.  They don't only go into "hip, urban" neighborhoods.  With the following they have, they could put a TJs in a barn in Edwardsville and people would flock to it.
voltopt
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by voltopt »

Since everyone is just talking about large, empty strip malls near highways and middle class neighborhoods, why not the citadel shopping center at the former Blue Hills Golf Course at 63rd and The Paseo?
Its a large, empty shopping mall about 1 mile from US -71 and just east of brookside/mission hills/prairie village. 
It could also be a catalyst to a Landing redevelopment.  I know this is most likely not true, but neither is Red Bridge...
"I never quarrel, sir; but I do fight, sir; and when I fight, sir, a funeral follows, sir."   -senator thomas hart benton
Midtownkid
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by Midtownkid »

DanCa wrote: All the TJs I've seen/been in in Orange County were in suburban strip malls.  They don't only go into "hip, urban" neighborhoods.  With the following they have, they could put a TJs in a barn in Edwardsville and people would flock to it.
Haha, well of course all the Orange County locations are in suburban strip malls, the OC doesn't offer too much else~!  I would say their West Hollywood location is in a hip, urban neighborhood.  :P
AJoD
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by AJoD »

I love how much excitement has been generated by the phrase "has confirmed the company is interested in opening in our market."

I mean, how much of a shift in corporate position does this really represent?
chrizow
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by chrizow »

AJoD wrote: I love how much excitement has been generated by the phrase "has confirmed the company is interested in opening in our market."

especially after it was reported somewhere (either in the star or kcrag) that KC is not in TJ's "2-year plan."
trailerkid
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by trailerkid »

AJoD wrote: I love how much excitement has been generated by the phrase "has confirmed the company is interested in opening in our market."

once they announce the first store and it opens in the south suburbs...you'll never hear about tj's in this market again. seems to work that way...
mlind
Colonnade
Colonnade

Post by mlind »

When TJs first opened stores in the SF Bay Area, they were all in suburban areas. However, they have now opened stores in San Francisco, Berkeley, & Oakland CA - all very urban areas - in existing buildings and newly constructed ones.  There is a certain amount of NIMBY response due to traffic and parking. 

What KC needs is an In-N-Out Burger - another California cult.
Midtownkid
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by Midtownkid »

mlind wrote: What KC needs is an In-N-Out Burger - another California cult.
Meh, I wasn't so impressed with In-N-Out.  Only thing I really like from there is their sign and over all look.  We have Winsteads for flat patty burgers.
cknab1
Ambassador

Post by cknab1 »

I do miss the double-double from In-N-Out
I'll have what the gentleman on the floor is having.
ignatius
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by ignatius »

Wasn't there an in/out on Linwood in midtown a good 10+ years ago?
LenexatoKCMO
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by LenexatoKCMO »

ignatius wrote: Wasn't there an in/out on Linwood in midtown a good 10+ years ago?
No - In-n-Out is a family owned chain out of California that has never gotten much further east than Las Vegas.
dangerboy
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by dangerboy »

ignatius wrote: Wasn't there an in/out on Linwood in midtown a good 10+ years ago?
I believe you are thinking of the defunct Hot'n Now chain.  The one on Linwood is now a Popeye's.
PumpkinStalker
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by PumpkinStalker »

In-a-tub?