Dunkin' Donuts returning to KC area in Nov 2008

KC topics that don't fit anywhere else.
mgsports
Hotel President
Hotel President

Re: Dunkin' Donuts returning to KC area in Nov 2008

Post by mgsports »

http://www.columbiatribune.com/news/200 ... -columbia/ It's much healther then Dunkin Donuts.  Columbia also needs Jack in the Box,Church's Chicken,Famous Daves,ESPN Zone,Chic-Fl-A,Daves and Buster and so on.

Maybe one at 7th Street and Metcalf Avenue if approved.
I hope Olathe,Shawnee,Leawood,Lenexa,Kansas City,KS,Topeka and other parts of MO/KS get one DD.
MissKris816
Parking Garage
Parking Garage

Post by MissKris816 »

I had my first taste of Dunkin' Donuts this week...it was anti-climatic x 10. QuikTrip has better donuts. I'll be sticking to Lamars.
NDTeve
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by NDTeve »

Coffee is delicious though.
"Don't go around saying the world owes you a living. The world owes you nothing. It was here first."
- Mark Twain
ChandraNH
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by ChandraNH »

Yeah, back in New England, it wasn't so much the donuts that caused huge lines at the drive-through windows, it was the coffee, which fans say has as much caffeine as any other coffee shop coffee.

In Mass and NH there is a DD on every corner with serious lines out into the street and hordes of people who can't seem to function without a large regular (in Northern NE at least, a regular comes with cream and sugar.  If you want it black, you'd have to ask for it black.  It will be interesting to see if a regular here comes plain or with c/s).
trailerkid
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by trailerkid »

MissKris816 wrote: I had my first taste of Dunkin' Donuts this week...it was anti-climatic x 10. QuikTrip has better donuts. I'll be sticking to Lamars.
I like DD and I'm glad they've come back to KC, but yeah...it's really not a big deal-- at all. i can see if you grew up with it, but c'mon people.

saying their coffee is the best is the equivalent of people saying McD's has the best burgers. i don't know a lot about coffee, but WTF is that stuff? 
LenexatoKCMO
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by LenexatoKCMO »

They are huge in Eastern Europe - you run into them all over the place.  never saw the attraction myself. 
heatherkay
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by heatherkay »

People are like unimprinted ducklings first thing in the morning.  Once they get used to getting caffeine, they will display blind devotion to the source of the fix.
chrizow
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by chrizow »

i dont really get the appeal either.  the donuts are average at best, and the touted "coffee" tastes like the "coffee" from 7-11 - i.e. completely average and mediocre.  it does the trick, and i'd drink DD coffee if i wanted coffee and there was a DD right in front of me, but to swear allegiance to it is just weird to me.  different strokes i guess. 
kcmetro
One Park Place
One Park Place

Post by kcmetro »

chrizow wrote: i dont really get the appeal either.  the donuts are average at best, and the touted "coffee" tastes like the "coffee" from 7-11 - i.e. completely average and mediocre.  it does the trick, and i'd drink DD coffee if i wanted coffee and there was a DD right in front of me, but to swear allegiance to it is just weird to me.  different strokes i guess. 
That's something that has always confused me about some people and their preferred coffee.  Pretty much all regular flavored coffee tastes the same to me.  I'll drink it all. DD, Starbucks, Yuban, Folgers, etc.  If I'm going to drink coffee though, I'd rather save the money and just make it myself at home.  Spending money on a cup every day seems like a waste.
LenexatoKCMO
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by LenexatoKCMO »

I think the whole coffee thing comes from having positioned themselves as the antithesis of french roasted yuppie coffee (i.e starbucks et al).  Going for the blue collar appeal.  Its the Budweiser to Starbucks' IPA.  
chrizow
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by chrizow »

LenexatoKCMO wrote: I think the whole coffee thing comes from having positioned themselves as the antithesis of french roasted yuppie coffee (i.e starbucks et al).  Going for the blue collar appeal.  Its the Budweiser to Starbucks' IPA.  
yeah, i get that and respect it.  it just doesn't taste very good.  it's like the burger king "joe" coffee. 
kcmetro wrote: That's something that has always confused me about some people and their preferred coffee.  Pretty much all regular flavored coffee tastes the same to me.  I'll drink it all. DD, Starbucks, Yuban, Folgers, etc.
i'll drink almost any coffee, except the coffee my office brews, which is literally the worst ever.  it tastes like they re-used Sanka grounds from 1994.  bleh.  that said, i do enjoy good coffee.  go to the roasterie and try an ethiopian or sumatra from their "clover" machine.  you may not like it, but at least you'll probably see the difference between quality coffee and folgers.  folgers = natty light of coffee.
kcmetro wrote: If I'm going to drink coffee though, I'd rather save the money and just make it myself at home.  Spending money on a cup every day seems like a waste.
agreed.  i used to spend like $75 a month on coffee (unwittingly).  when i added up the expense, i turned to making coffee at home most of the time.
LenexatoKCMO
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by LenexatoKCMO »

chrizow wrote: yeah, i get that and respect it.  it just doesn't taste very good.  it's like the burger king "joe" coffee.  
Agreed - I prefer both an IPA or a nice french roasted, yuppie coffee any day.  Then again, I don't think I carry much credibility in the blue collar, everyman department.
chrizow wrote: i'll drink almost any coffee, except the coffee my office brews, which is literally the worst ever. 
We have one lady who brews it so thin it looks like a pot of iced tea.  If you hate the taste of coffee that much, why not just take caffeine pills or drink a cola?
kcmetro
One Park Place
One Park Place

Post by kcmetro »

chrizow wrote: that said, i do enjoy good coffee.  go to the roasterie and try an ethiopian or sumatra from their "clover" machine.  you may not like it, but at least you'll probably see the difference between quality coffee and folgers.  folgers = natty light of coffee.
Have had those exotic coffees.  It's all the coffee shop serves next to my work, and I'm not a big fan.  I like my coffee more bland.  :)
KCMax
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by KCMax »

I like their coffee. I think I'm just excited because they haven't been here for so long. Novelty.
SAVE THE PLAZA - FROM ZOMBIES! Find out how at:

http://twitter.com/TheKCRag
PumpkinStalker
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by PumpkinStalker »

I like the croissant breakfast sandwiches.  Awesome.  Coffee - eh.  I can't say I've ever sat down and swished and spit to determine if it's any better or worse than other donut shops or whatnot.  I love coffee but mainly dark roasts. If I get coffee at a "fast food" type place, I don't expect much.  For people that add cream and sugar, I'm sure they can taste a difference with that type of coffee.  I can not.
NDTeve
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by NDTeve »

Love their coffee. Buy it in bulk at Costco. Love people saying they don't understand the appeal of DD coffee when they haven't tried it.

Any news on the 74th and Metcalf location?
"Don't go around saying the world owes you a living. The world owes you nothing. It was here first."
- Mark Twain
WSPanic
Supporter

Post by WSPanic »

NDTeve wrote: Love their coffee. Buy it in bulk at Costco. Love people saying they don't understand the appeal of DD coffee when they haven't tried it.

I've had it plenty of times and still don't understand the appeal.
If it doesn't have street-level retail, it's an abortion.
NDTeve
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by NDTeve »

Might be that I like it because there are none here. The want what you can't have logic. Much like I used to be with Chick-Fil-A
- Mark Twain
PumpkinStalker
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by PumpkinStalker »

WSPanic wrote: I've had it plenty of times and still don't understand the appeal.
Ditto.  Had it plenty of times because I always go to DD when out of town for the breakfast sandwiches.  Almost always get coffee too, but I don't get the appeal.

Also, was so excited for Chik-fil-a ever since I heard Army by Ben Folds 5.  Then I tried it when they came to State Line and I just didn't get it.  
trailerkid
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by trailerkid »

NDTeve wrote: Love their coffee. Buy it in bulk at Costco. Love people saying they don't understand the appeal of DD coffee when they haven't tried it.

i've tried it multiple times and i understand the appeal. it's the mcdonald's of donut shops. got it.

has anyone had donuts from casey's general store (small chain of iowa convenience stores...closest one is in eudora, ks)? they have donuts that are way better than dunkin...a wheel of torani coffee flavors...and a land o' lakes half and half dispenser. i think quik trip donuts are better than dunkin too.