Blanc Burgers & Bottles

People say they enjoy Kansas City. Find out why.
AJoD
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Re: Blanc Burgers & Bottles

Post by AJoD »

Went here last week with some friends from Houston, and we all enjoyed it very much.  Burgers were all terrific.  The classic was excellent, and medium rare as requested, though I can understand the "Okay, it's a burger" sentiment.  Sure, you can cook up a good burger at home, but you don't often find them this good in a restaurant.

Inside out, I agree with Jess upthread--tremendous.  Au poivre was good too, the bison my least favorite, but bison needs to be cooked pretty rare, which this wasn't.

It didn't strike me as overly expensive at all.  I mean, you're not paying $7 for a beer at Applebee's, but you're not drinking Delirium Tremens either.  Setting, service--I understand Jess's kitsch comment too, but at least you're getting something for your money.

No contest in the ChefBurger comparison, as far as I'm concerned.  This place is a real winner.

(More here, for a different audience.)
Highlander
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by Highlander »

AJoD wrote: Went here last week with some friends from Houston, and we all enjoyed it very much.  Burgers were all terrific.  The classic was excellent, and medium rare as requested, though I can understand the "Okay, it's a burger" sentiment.  Sure, you can cook up a good burger at home, but you don't often find them this good in a restaurant.

Inside out, I agree with Jess upthread--tremendous.  Au poivre was good too, the bison my least favorite, but bison needs to be cooked pretty rare, which this wasn't.

It didn't strike me as overly expensive at all.  I mean, you're not paying $7 for a beer at Applebee's, but you're not drinking Delirium Tremens either.  Setting, service--I understand Jess's kitsch comment too, but at least you're getting something for your money.

No contest in the ChefBurger comparison, as far as I'm concerned.  This place is a real winner.

(More here, for a different audience.)
I was there last week visiting from out of town.  I really enjoyed the place and especially the Au poivre.  Nice selection of beers and the homemade sauces (incuding ketchup and mustard) were a nice touch.  Nice atmosphere....it was my first foray into the heart of Wesport in many years (Wesport Flea Market not included, I go there every trip back in town). 
grovester
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by grovester »

Most of the office went for lunch today, 5-6 people, consensus was very positive except for the wait, and this is not a typically foo crowd.  Give them their food for luch!  Apparently it's now on the permanent lunch list.
Jess
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by Jess »

We honestly have never made it back since the night we tried it out.  We're more or less Westport Flea Market stalwart when it comes to grabbing burgers close to home, as it turns out.
kigmee
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by kigmee »

I dropped in for a burger before the ballet on Friday, and the "Inside Out" burger with a Unibroue Maudite was probably the best burger and beer I've ever had.

Worked out like a mofo the rest of the weekend to get enough clearance in the dietary budget to go again.
midtown
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by midtown »

Took the wife and parents there.  I was glad to finally make it after hearing the rave reviews.  We arrived at the tail end of happy hour.  My wife had the happy hour bite-size kobe burger and an order of calamari fries.  The calamari fries were awesome.  My mom went with the traditional and regular fries and she enjoyed them both.  My dad has special dietary needs and they were extremely friendly and accomodating to him.  I had the au poivre with sweet potato fries and a Fin Du Monde.  It was all stellar.  I'll definitely be back.
Midtownkid
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by Midtownkid »

Forgot to add my review from a couple of weeks ago (while I was in town).  This place is amazing!  Definitely a big winner for Westport.  The look of the place is very cool and modern.  The lunch menu was a good deal.  I think it was $8 for a salad and burger.  The meat they use is so top quality and the buns were toasted.  Might try one of their sodas next time.  There were so many different flavors available.  Has anyone try one?  Will definitely go back next time.  I love chefburger, but this place is way better!
chrizow
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by chrizow »

Midtownkid wrote: Might try one of their sodas next time.  There were so many different flavors available.  Has anyone try one?  Will definitely go back next time.
yeah, if i don't feel like a beer, i get a blueberry Izze soda.  i think it rules.  i like all Izze sodas, actually. 
Midtownkid wrote: I love chefburger, but this place is way better!
without question, though i think they are aiming for different things.  Blanc is more like the gourmet burger places popping up around NYC, whereas Chefburger is "good fast food" type food, more like Rob Dalzell's modern version of Winstead's or something.
Midtownkid
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by Midtownkid »

chrizow wrote: without question, though i think they are aiming for different things.  Blanc is more like the gourmet burger places popping up around NYC, whereas Chefburger is "good fast food" type food, more like Rob Dalzell's modern version of Winstead's or something.
True, makes since.  I'll have to try an Izze next time!
dangerboy
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by dangerboy »

chrizow wrote: without question, though i think they are aiming for different things.  Blanc is more like the gourmet burger places popping up around NYC, whereas Chefburger is "good fast food" type food, more like Rob Dalzell's modern version of Winstead's or something.
True, yet the prices are similar.  I think Chefburger is a bit expensive for "Good fast food" - but I do like and give them my business.  Or maybe it's the converse.  Maybe blanc is just cheap for a gourmet burger restaurant.
rxlexi
Penntower
Penntower

Post by rxlexi »

Yeah, I tend to agree with your first assessment Danger.  Chefburger just costs a little too much for the quality of food/service/atmosphere.  Blanc is similarly priced but provides better burgers, a slick interior with real table service and a ton of beers.  It's become a regular in my rotation, while Chefburger, which I certainly don't hate, is visited far more rarely.
are we spinning free?
ComandanteCero
One Park Place
One Park Place

Post by ComandanteCero »

yeh, Chefburger seemed closer to what they were aiming at in the beginning (i.e chic upscale fast food).  Now it feels like overpriced fast food.  When i ordered their parsley/garlic fries during the first months it was awesome and exactly what i expected (although a bit overly oily and soggy, still delicious).  Last time i went (about a month or two ago), their parsley fries were waffle fries haphazardly smeared with something that looked like parsley paste...  it looked disgusting and i went up to the counter and asked the kid if my order looked right, since i'd ordered the parsley fries before and they were nothing like what they had given me.  The guy look awkward and just said "that's how it's always been" while the girl next to him just said "sorry!" and they turned back to what they were doing.  Needless to say i haven't been back. (To be fair, the burger was the same as always, but the experience/ambience wasn't worth it for the money i was paying, i've been back to Blanc Burgers several times with friends and family and it's spot on every time (not to mention equivalent prices to what i would have paid at Chefburger)).

So yeh, before it was more likely to be a tossup when in a burger mood, but i haven't been back to Chefburger since those parsley fries.
KC Region is all part of the same animal regardless of state and county lines.
Think on the Regional scale.
elextendo
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by elextendo »

Well, I finally made it to Blanc as well(last week). Had  good service,good burgers, to much batter for me on the onion rings but wife liked them(preference) sweet potatoe fries also good..I would go back..got a beer I didnt think I sold..but turned out had it on tap.. BAD:  Hated the stupid shopping cart service deal, took the (very creative use) of a brown bag out and ate much nicer..
I hate the huge TV...Way better than Chef(scam) Burger at least the time I was there.
P&L Free since 2008
mean
Administrator
Administrator

Post by mean »

Yeah, the shopping cart thing is kind of kitschy, I really don't understand how that's supposed to fit into the theme. The food's great, though.

I don't know what happened to Chefburger. I really liked it the first time I went, right after it opened, but it just seems to have gone downhill. Comandante is right on re: the fries. "That's how it's always been," my ass! They used to be pretty good. I don't know if they were hand cut, but they were definitely not frozen prepackaged Sysco waffle fries. Awful.
"It is not to my good friend's heresy that I impute his honesty. On the contrary, 'tis his honesty that has brought upon him the character of heretic." -- Ben Franklin
AJoD
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by AJoD »

Thing is, to me, there's no reason to fancy up a Winstead's burger.  You can update the atmosphere, and I can see an upgrade on the sides, but that style of burger (unlike the bigger bar burger) doesn't have the substance to hold up to gourmet treatment.  I felt like my BLFGT sandwich was all topping, no burger.  A straight-up, well-made 30s style burger is a thing of beauty in its own right.
blackbird
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by blackbird »

mean wrote: Yeah, the shopping cart thing is kind of kitschy, I really don't understand how that's supposed to fit into the theme. The food's great, though.
I asked about the shopping carts back when they first opened, and it's supposed to be a play on "ala carte".  Since the burgers don't come with fries or onion rings, all the sides are ala carte...and therefore come out in carts.

I can't make this stuff up.
mean
Administrator
Administrator

Post by mean »

That is perhaps the most spectacularly silly explanation possible. I would counsel the Blanc folks to stick to making awesome burgers and shy away from trying to be clever.  :lol:
"It is not to my good friend's heresy that I impute his honesty. On the contrary, 'tis his honesty that has brought upon him the character of heretic." -- Ben Franklin
chrizow
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by chrizow »

i like the carts because they make the fries or rings easy to share since they are slightly elevated above the plates.  the fries can either come in a basket, or a basket in the form of a shopping cart.  why not a shopping cart? 
mean
Administrator
Administrator

Post by mean »

Those are hardly the only two choices. Just seems like something more in line with the theme would make more sense. Something, maybe, I dunno...white?
Jess
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by Jess »

I swear the fries were waffle fries when I went relatively shortly after they opened.